How many people in this forum have heard of ASMR?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Drone
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Feb 2013, 10:49 am

I have never had that. On a side note, when I saw the title about ASMR it made me think of Asmar which is the mispronunciation of asthma said in Lord of the Flies. The kid with asmar dies unfortunately.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 11:02 am

ever since my accident last summer, when i see other people get seriously injured i involuntarily shiver and recoil.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 11:31 am

scarp wrote:
Is ASMR what makes me briefly break out in shivers sometimes while listening to music or TV shows through headphones? It sends a very vivid tingling sensation down through the back of my head and spine, causing me to have to "shake it off" suddenly and involuntarily. It sort of feels ticklish. Or is this something else?

Sounds like it. ASMR normally feels very pleasant though.

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Feb 2013, 11:45 am

Sanctus wrote:
scarp wrote:
Is ASMR what makes me briefly break out in shivers sometimes while listening to music or TV shows through headphones? It sends a very vivid tingling sensation down through the back of my head and spine, causing me to have to "shake it off" suddenly and involuntarily. It sort of feels ticklish. Or is this something else?

Sounds like it. ASMR normally feels very pleasant though.

I'm not really sure that I would classify it as being either pleasant or unpleasant. Like I said, it more often feels ticklish.

I'm not sure if it's ASMR or not, but regardless, I find most ASMR sounds very pleasurable. I feel a combination of fascination and relaxation when I listen to them.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 7:34 pm

auntblabby wrote:
ever since my accident last summer, when i see other people get seriously injured i involuntarily shiver and recoil.

You got into an accident last summer? I'm so, so sorry to hear that. I had no idea. :( *hugs you tightly*

Soham
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Feb 2013, 10:29 pm

Weird...more synchronicities & coincidences for me. I logged into WP just to make a thread about ASMR, as I've never seen it discussed on here and something rarely discussed in general, and there's a thread about it already going.

ASMR is something I've experiences since I was a kid. Some things that seem trigger it for me....A soft quiet whispering voice (usually female), female vocals in music (even though I can't hear the individual words), sometimes a soft brushing sound, feeling certain textures, hearing a piece of music for the first time that I enjoy, certain works of art, and during meditation I can induce similar sensations.

It always starts at the crown of my head, it builds up in intensity for a brief moment then cascades down my spine and then outward through out my body. I find it to be incredibly euphoric, almost overbearingly euphoric, reminds me of the bursts of euphoria I've experienced on mdma, or similar to the feeling of post-orgasmic bliss....though brief.

scarp wrote:
....It sends a very vivid tingling sensation down through the back of my head and spine, causing me to have to "shake it off" suddenly and involuntarily. It sort of feels ticklish. Or is this something else?

This describes what I experience, and I know exactly what you're talking about when you say "shake it off", I do the same thing :lol:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2013, 10:58 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You got into an accident last summer? I'm so, so sorry to hear that. I had no idea. :( *hugs you tightly*

:D
deer and me collided on bike, throwing me over handlebars, crashing hard on pavement with broken arms. not fun. but on the mend.

Renaissance_Man
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2013, 10:58 pm

[quote="scarp"]Is ASMR what makes me briefly break out in shivers sometimes while listening to music or TV shows through headphones? It sends a very vivid tingling sensation down through the back of my head and spine, causing me to have to "shake it off" suddenly and involuntarily. It sort of feels ticklish. Or is this something else?[/quote

That sounds as if it could be "frisson", which bears strong similarities to ASMR, but is slightly different.