Do you have problems interacting with children?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ramba_Ral
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2013, 9:14 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
kids seem to gravitate towards me for some reason, but i find it easy to interact with them because im still interested in playing and nonsense, it amuses me.

Sort of the same for me, I usually enter the room and every kid in the house runs to climb all over me....they'll follow me around, ask me questions about whatever pops into their head. Either to confirm what their parents said or to just ask me something that is obviously ridiculous.

Don't really care...I enjoy seeing them smile and quite a few of them seem to giggle and blush when they say, "I love you, nitsuj!"
I enjoy sharing my knowledge with them when they ask for it.

sorta questioned if I was one of those Asexual type aspies....then again I have no idea what that even means. :?

LittleTigger
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 9:57 am

I have a few little frends I play with them
when they are always ringing the dorebell
asking my brother "Can Tigger come oout to play?"

My newest little frend Joshie found me
because his mum is nosey, I was playing
in my garden with my toys and she just
leenz over the fence and asks abuncha
silly growedup questions like why do
all I ever do is play with toys and hwhy
arnt I ever married and I told her Im
a little boy what do you want and she said
I dont date boys I date men and I
said what makes you thing I wanted
to date you? So she went back in the
house and said "well if your not going to
grow up and join society can you at least
watch Joshie until I get the house cleaned up?"

So I shoiwed Joshie how to put a motor in
a toy truck and make it go in circles, and we
wanted to catch a big fat tooad but we co0d
not find one.

When it was time to go back inside for dinner
I heard Joshie conmplaining "BUT I WANNA PLAY WITH TIGER MORE!"

Now miss Heinz 57 nocks the dore and my
brother ansers and says "I will get him"
and I go out back to play. Miss 57 says
"Hes been bugging the krap outta me
to play with you and I have work to do
so can you keep hium ooouta my hair?"

She is kind of weird and looks like a cross
between a waitress for a truckstop and
a "biker chick", she gots tatoos on her
shoulder of roses. She isn't very rude,
just kind of blunt but she doesn't mean it,
she said to me "Dont go running away, you
mean alot to Joshie." That is what changed
my mind about her, before I th*t she was
only and just rude and noosay, well she is
nosey .

I guess I inrtract with kids ok, well, the
ones that I know, like persons of any age,
I don't talk to strangers, big or little,
young or old.

When society stops expecting
too much from me, I will
stop disappointing them.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:13 am

b9 wrote:
interacting with children is seriously dangerous. to speak to a little kid automatically makes their parents scope you out for possible pedophillic tendencies, and once that happens, one has a serious amount of explaining to do. people will convict you on mere suspicion.. i have never had that happen to me but i have seen it happen to another person i knew

While most parents "get" me and know I'm as honest and friendly as it gets, there are a couple of people who don't know me well that have suggested (without using the actual word) that I have pedophilic tendencies. If they spend two minutes talking to me they would quickly figure out the truth but it's easy to be paranoid for no good reason. Funny how if I have a woman (not necessarily my GF) nearby it's cute but alone I'm some weirdo just because I wished a child a good afternoon.

Luckily I know a large number of parents of young children extremely well and they should vouch for me if some baseless accusation is made but yes, I would be surprised if someone doesn't think I'm some pedophile just because I can hold a conversation with a kid that the kid ALWAYS initiates. It's incredible how one person can make a wild accusation with no evidence and everyone suddenly believes it just because you are male and (at the time) single. :roll:

I know as a child I ran into two pedophiles and I could tell even at a young age that they were up to no good instantly. The fact that children flock to me (not the other way around) should tell you I'm a pretty decent guy but some people watch way too many TV shows.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
I find it much, much easier dealing with kids as they are direct, honest and you don't need to 'read' them at all.

Children can be every bit as shrewd, phony and manipulative as adults.

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
Probably the single biggest reason I 'get' children is because I have an exceptionally good long term memory and remember being in pre-school like it was last year.

I remember it well too, but I still don't 'get' children. I can't project who I was as a child to who they are in most cases because I was a very atypical child, so more often than not, that would be a miss.

b9, unfortunately that is true. There is a lot of hysteria these days. It's a pity that so few perpetrators can destroy so much. Don't get me wrong, pedophiles are a serious threat, but they are not that common. According to Wikipedia
Quote:
The prevalence of pedophilia in the general population is not known, but is estimated to be lower than 5% among adult men. "Most sexual offenders against children are male, although female offenders may account for 0.4% to 4% of convicted sexual offenders

Yet people naturally suspect everyone. If I had a child I would too. It's sad. Has the world become worse or are we just more aware these days?

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 1:26 pm

I've always been a bit awkward with little kids (2-5 yrs) although I prefer dealing with them than the older kids. I had a fear of teenagers growing up and even as a teen myself. I still am very uncomfortable with them but at least I don't fear them anymore.
Since having kids of my own, I at least know how to deal with them. My oldest is 20 months now, doesn't really talk (he says a couple words here and there, but definitely no actual conversation), but he will go on tangents and speeches in his own language and I've learned that you don't actually have to understand them to interact with them, but just pretend you do. I always had a hard time because I never could understand kids, and I get very uncomfortable around people I cannot understand, but they don't seem to care if you pretend...
I got stuck babysitting a 7 yr old once, without warning! It was just, "hey, can you watch him for a couple hours?" and yeah... he was insanely talkative and thankfully occupied himself pretty well, though he trashed my son's room. I had a very hard time talking to him though...

Cacao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2013, 1:33 pm

I treat kids as equals. As long as they show respect I respect them too. If they communicate normal and have normal questions and are normal and responsive I do not see a problem. The more emotional and unpredictable kids are wierd. I try to avoid them.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 1:35 pm

Yeah, they actually make me rather nervous....not sure exactly why, maybe its all those memories of being bullied by them as a child. People have suggested I try and babysit to earn a little money but I don't think that would be wise, I wouldn't know how to keep them under control or enforce any rules and such. Its a bit different with my little brother because he's family and I've known him since he was born.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 1:38 pm

Cacao wrote:
I treat kids as equals. As long as they show respect I respect them too. If they communicate normal and have normal questions and are normal and responsive I do not see a problem. The more emotional and unpredictable kids are wierd. I try to avoid them.

So if you came in contact with an autistic child you would avoid them because they don't communicate normal, have normal questions and are normal and responsive oh and did I forget they aren't 'normal'? Meh, I'd prefer being around a weird child than a normal one, at least there isn't the risk of them trying to make fun of me for being weird, yes I am sensitive even if a child starts trying to get to me.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 3:12 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
I had a fear of teenagers growing up and even as a teen myself. I still am very uncomfortable with them but at least I don't fear them anymore.

I was always afraid of teens too. Still sorta am. I'm real uncomfortable passing groups (any number higher than one really) of teen boys because I fear they'll do something bad. They can be skilled at egging each other on and I fear violence so much. I know it's unlikely but the fear is still there.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Dovi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Feb 2013, 9:03 pm

I am not a parent, but I do a lot of work with kids, and I hope to be one day.
I have actually always found interacting with kids WAY easier than anyone else. Especially kids around age 5 or 6. It just seems natural to me unlike talking with my peers. And I can usually get them to warm up to me pretty quickly too :)

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:29 pm

I love kids. I get along with them really well. It's easy hard to make up some goofy game, or just go along with theirs. They're very easy to entertain, and will pretty much always like me and think I'm awesome.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 10:56 pm

I never really acquired the knowledge of interacting as an authority figure. I know how to act as an equal and towards authority but not as authority. I get too confused.

TrainofLove
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2013, 2:10 am

I Hate Children.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 3:56 am

Children of any age make me uneasy; I never know how to talk to them at all, and I'm so stiff and stoic that they usually don't notice me. I tried babysitting once, and although everything went fine, I wasn't remotely comfortable being in charge of someone else's kids, so I didn't do it often.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

sparkylabs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

I don't have much of a problem with children and possibly prefer interaction with them as they keep it simple and there are less lies and social barriers involved.

On a similar note I do a weeks volunteering every year in the lake district with disabled people mostly young (18-35) with "learning difficulties / special needs" and as I jokingly put it to people, It's where i get to feel normal, They just say it the way they think it and I know i can say it the way it is without being looked at funny. I like interacting with kids becuae I think i understand them better and so don't treat them in a condescending way as many adults do as that jut tells them that they are "not good enough -yet"

Not been diagnosed with anything but I sure know I'm different somehow, and people treat me different, not that I care.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 4:11 pm

I don't have a problem with interacting with children i just choose not to as they are not my cup of tea.