Distinguishing real from fake smiles quiz

Page 2 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

matt wrote:
I hate this test more than the others, because I don't know what they mean by "real" versus "fake" smile. I do understand that a person can smile with the intention of deceiving someone else, but I don't understand how when they are filming someone smiling they can instruct them to do a "fake" or a "real" smile.

Wouldn't all smiles done within the context of an experiment be "fake"?

hahaha bucephalus and i were having that exact conversation! alllll of the smiles seem like they would technically be fake. or real.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 8:45 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Ichinin wrote:
9/20.

I prefer detecting logical inconsistencies instead of looking at a face that can be faked.

I generally do not automatically trust what people say, i validate pretty much everything. Not because i suspect them to be lying, more because they may be right :)

This takes too much mental energy.

I didn't know there was a video you could play at first, so I might have gotten a few more right. Anyway....

What I figured out halfway through is this: the muscles on the side of the face indicate a real smile while the muscles in the front of the face indicate a fake smile.

You can be as analytical about this as anything.

Correct, but there's more to it, also. It seems as though what's making these people smile is something funny, like you can see them sorta chuckle/laugh and fling their heads back a bit.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 9:34 pm

Got 18/20. Seems like a good score, but in real life I am hopeless in reading people's facial expressions and I myself have poor facial expressions.

In this test, I think real smiles look rather uncontrollable and tend to linger. Also, genuine smiles seem to make the face itself move a bit. In fake smiles eyes are not really smiling and the smile stops abruptly or unnaturally.

Some of them were cute, but I didn't get tricked by that.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 9:44 pm

12/20 i guessed most of them they all looked pretty real to me

matt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 9:52 pm

Even though I wasn't sure what constituted a "real" smile or a "fake" smile in the context of this experiment, I took the test based on the idea that the goal was to be able to detect some sort of deception in the facial expressions.

I got 10 out of 20, so apparently I either really don't understand what is a "fake" smile or I do and I'm just really bad at detecting them.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 10:32 pm

12/20 - most of them looked real to me too.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 10:39 pm

Tuttle wrote:

i know right!

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 10:44 pm

I got 18.

The trick is to not even look at the mouth. When the smile is genuine, there are involuntary muscle contractions at the corner of the eye. It's very hard to fake that particular movement, so always look at the eyes.

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 10:47 pm

matt wrote:
Wouldn't all smiles done within the context of an experiment be "fake"?
The researchers could just have them watch a funny video or something. It's pretty easy to get a genuine smile out of someone.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 10:52 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Tuttle wrote:

i know right!

Also 12/20

But opposite conclusion.

They all seemed fake and coerced. After all, they're models/actors being told to smile. None of these were spontaneous, natural smiles. So by definition, they were all "fake."

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Feb 2013, 10:56 pm

16/20

I didn't look at the eyes at all; I went by the seemingly involuntary body movement which I associated with a little laugh as opposed just a grin.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Feb 2013, 12:28 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
They all seemed fake and coerced. After all, they're models/actors being told to smile. None of these were spontaneous, natural smiles. So by definition, they were all "fake."

Maybe how they did it was some were told to smile and those were the fake ones, since they had no reason to smile. And others were told jokes or shown something funny so they smiled real smiles?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Feb 2013, 1:23 am

OnPorpoise wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Maybe how they did it was some were told to smile and those were the fake ones, since they had no reason to smile. And others were told jokes or shown something funny so they smiled real smiles?

This seems to be the most likely scenario.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 3:19 am

14/20.

Most of them looked fake to me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Devotchka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2013, 3:29 am

18/20
Missed one fake and one genuine, though for the real one I misidentified as fake I regretted right after I clicked it. Interesting quiz!

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 5:38 am

rabidmonkey4262 wrote:
I got 18.

The trick is to not even look at the mouth. When the smile is genuine, there are involuntary muscle contractions at the corner of the eye. It's very hard to fake that particular movement, so always look at the eyes.

i didn't look at the mouth. i looked at the eyes. and i still only got 11.