Personality test and employment/Pet Smart

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 7:51 pm

I have let PETSMART know I won't ever be shopping from them again.

calibaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2007, 9:10 pm

that sounds like descrimination type test. according to the americans with disabilities act, you cannot descriminate based on a disability.

assuming your in the u.s. if not i am unaware of international disability laws

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 9:26 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
I did well in customer service even though I have social anxiety disorder. I think the one area I failed at was selling the most costly
product/service to the customer. I would often work harder on what was better for the customer! I'm sure profits sky rocketed when i left the comapny. I worked many years treating people right
and then the boss likely really pushed maxium profit sales his last few years. He is retiring this year. He bought a new expensive car each of the last two years to show he was doing fine without me.

Well Themachine1,

Frankly the customers probably respected you more for it, and may have given you more repeat business. The most expensive item(EVEN if it has TRIPLE the profit margin) doesn't necessarily yield the highest profit.

Steve

Elsie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jan 2007, 9:43 pm

krex wrote:
I just applied for an over night position at Pet Smart and part of the application had a personality test.If anyone is interested in seeing it for themselves you can apply on line to Pet Smart,take the test and just exit.

Anyway,my issue is how these tests are being used and if they are used to discriminate against people with "different" personality styles.Many of the questions could have been taken directly out of an Aspie quiz.Many of the questions were about...

Do you like crowds
Do you like being around people
Do you like to listen to peoples problems
Do people do things that irritate you

The thing is,I understand that this might be important if you are working directly with annoying whinny people who want to tell long stories about the "cutesy bootsy"....but I want an over night position so I dont have to deal with the public.It is the shift I have worked for 13 years and it work well for me.But if they through out my application just because I am anti-social,I think that is discriminatory.

Has anyone else taken personality tests for a job?Do you think I have a "right" to find out what is being done with these tests and how they are being evaluated?Has anyone here worked for Pet Smart?

I have a feeling that the tests are standard for any and all positions. So certain questions may or may not apply.
I would honestly answer them, and then make comment as to it being the reason I'm applying for a different shift.
PetSmart is providing customer service. So they would want the applicant to be a people person on some level.
Also, customers take for granted that cashiers know everything about the product. So there is verbal interaction that's unavoidable.
Personally, I can't stand it when I'm being helped by someone who's in an industry where they're dealing with people, yet don't like people.
I would go for the late shift too :)
Good luck in your job quest

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 9:43 pm

This personality test is quite common among many employers these days from low paying to high paying jobs. Its a trend among employers. Everyone at my employer was forced as in it was not an option to take the test even though they had been working for years for the company. They claimed it would help them know how to deal with employees. All I know is years later I was allowed to see the results of my test and what it said about me was nothing like the true me. I did try to answer the questions for the most part in what I thought they wanted to hear. Yes the questions are asked over and over with different wording to try to catch liars. I saw some other employee's test results and they also were nothing like the person whom I knew very well. I have family members in other states in other fields of business that were forced to take the test.

As far as discrimination yes it may very well be if they used it to not hire someone. However Aspergers is not considered a protected disability as far as I have heard, course that may vary by state and country. Another thing before you can scream discrimination you have to have official diagnosis before you can file charges.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2007, 1:08 am

SteveK wrote:
Want to know something that is REALLY dumb about this? They asked the WRONG questions!

1. Do you like crowds

You should NOT care!! !! !! Frankly, I would want sales people that HATE crowds! They might be tempted to work faster to PREVENT them!

2. Do you like being around people

People that like being around people may tend to talk, and slow EVERYTHING down!

3. Do you like to listen to peoples problems

WHO CARES! You don't want employees to comiserate, you want them to determine SOLUTIONS you can sell!

4. Do people do things that irritate you

Anybody that says NO is an idiot or a liar! OF COURSE they iritate us!

AND, frankly.... An ASPIE that is into pets would be the IDEAL salesperson for petsmart! WHY? Because they would understand the animals, options, needs, etc... They don't need to decode non verbal customer language! After all, you DON'T want to sell larger fish with guppies, or salt water fish for fresh water aquariums, or a lab pup for a small apartment or a poodle for an elderly person, etc.... If you sell a hamster, you might want to recommend a habitrail, bedding, etc... Make the wrong recommendations, and the customer may be disappointed. Make the RIGHT recommendations, and you may have a customer for life.

I'm sorry, but gregarious NTs often JUST DON'T CUT IT!

BTW, MY answers????

1. NO
2. Not a lot
3. NO
4. OF COURSE!

I work in a job where I DO have to listen to, collect, analyse, and solve customer problems. Sometimes this requires talking to dozens of people. I sometimes have to work in TEAMS! And do I do well? OF COURSE!

Steve

That's awesome. Your answers make more sense than any gregarious NT's can even begin to fathom. No, they don't cut it.

I do the same kind of work too. So when my work day is done though I crawl in hole and hide until it's time to put on my fake smile and hit it the next day.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2007, 1:08 am

SteveK wrote:
Want to know something that is REALLY dumb about this? They asked the WRONG questions!

1. Do you like crowds

You should NOT care!! !! !! Frankly, I would want sales people that HATE crowds! They might be tempted to work faster to PREVENT them!

2. Do you like being around people

People that like being around people may tend to talk, and slow EVERYTHING down!

3. Do you like to listen to peoples problems

WHO CARES! You don't want employees to comiserate, you want them to determine SOLUTIONS you can sell!

4. Do people do things that irritate you

Anybody that says NO is an idiot or a liar! OF COURSE they iritate us!

AND, frankly.... An ASPIE that is into pets would be the IDEAL salesperson for petsmart! WHY? Because they would understand the animals, options, needs, etc... They don't need to decode non verbal customer language! After all, you DON'T want to sell larger fish with guppies, or salt water fish for fresh water aquariums, or a lab pup for a small apartment or a poodle for an elderly person, etc.... If you sell a hamster, you might want to recommend a habitrail, bedding, etc... Make the wrong recommendations, and the customer may be disappointed. Make the RIGHT recommendations, and you may have a customer for life.

I'm sorry, but gregarious NTs often JUST DON'T CUT IT!

BTW, MY answers????

1. NO
2. Not a lot
3. NO
4. OF COURSE!

I work in a job where I DO have to listen to, collect, analyse, and solve customer problems. Sometimes this requires talking to dozens of people. I sometimes have to work in TEAMS! And do I do well? OF COURSE!

Steve

That's awesome. Your answers make more sense than any gregarious NT's can even begin to fathom. No, they don't cut it.

I do the same kind of work too. So when my work day is done though I crawl in hole and hide until it's time to put on my fake smile and hit it the next day.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 1:12 am

The couple of times I applied at Target, they had such a test, and as expected, I didn't get hired there. I'm trying again, hopefully with my seasonal retail experience, I might have a slight chance. Even then, retail for me isn't going to be my main career as I've applied for a post office position which pays more than twice the ammount retail does, plus there are the health benefits and job security, being a government job. Should I get the post office position, I'd quit the lesser paying retail job.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jan 2007, 1:19 am

Sorry for the double post. WP was lagging and I hit submit twice not realizing it was just moving slow.

presto

15 Jan 2007, 1:38 pm

here, im gonna let you all in on a little secret, its called IF YOU CANT OUTSMART A PERSONALITY TEST, YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO WORK HERE.

its called the game, you can do ANYTHING in america, easily, its just about being intelligent enough to get away with it. thats how the system works, deal drugs, lie on your application, steal s**t, no one really cares about the truth, or the choices you make, or your morals, its just knowing how to get away with it. they care that you are intelligent enough to do it, thats it. i worked at a well known franchise that outirght stole money from myself and my family, i got a job there, and skimmed all my money back and then some, even though EVERYONE there knew it, i was a model employee and they couldnt catch me, so they didnt even care. and for your information, very few employees dont. either way, i got mine and my familys and quit.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 2:33 pm

Presto,

I think people here are saying they don't want to have to lie!

THANKS for letting us know how honest, and smart, you are! YEAH, I happen to work in America(the U.S.) ALSO! Part of my job is catching LIARS! I have EVEN caught liars that were told how to deceive me by other applicants. If I knew who THOSE applicants were, I would have them FIRED!

BTW The U.S. DOES have a law that provides for the firing of ANY person(YEP, even a black jewish female) if they lied or tried to deceive the employer on an application!

BTW Stealing is a felony and, if caught, could cost you BIG TIME! Your theft isn't because of YOUR intelligence, it is THEIR carelessness. I once worked at a place where a person had a FAR better plan than YOU could ever devise. He got away with it for YEARS! One day, the FBI(It was basically bearer bond theft from a bank) walked in on him(He was the manager of the bond cage in charge of such bonds), and led him out IN HANDCUFFS!! !! !! DREAM ON!

BTW MANY cash drawers now have a before/after till count, and dual tapes! ALSO, many places have hidden cameras. Put the two together, and you may have a HARD time getting away with it for more than 1 day.

Steve

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 8:07 pm

These kinds of tests are common at any company or franchise large enough to afford them (i.e., anything much larger than a mom-and-pop store or local chain). Unfortunately, answering honestly may not be the best strategy for getting the job. What do you think is the kind of personality they want to see in a person in the position you're applying for? Try to pretend you're that person for a few minutes and answer as that person would answer; be consistent because they ask some questions multiple times or the opposite of a question to catch liars (called lie scales in psychometrics).

For almost any position you apply for, though, there are some personality traits you will always want to indicate you have: punctuality, honesty, willingness to obey superiors, initiative in solving problems, no problems with theft or truancy, and emotional stability (handling stress well). If you're applying for a sales or customer service position, you should indicate you enjoy being around people, have a desire to please people, active and busy, and are not prone to argue.

For a night shift, though, they might actually prefer to hire introverted candidates, who they feel can handle the solitude better than extraverts.

These personality tests are not specifically directed against people with Asperger's syndrome, but their purported raison d'être is to place employees with the position that best fits their personality and to weed out people with personality disorders (people who are difficult to get along with).

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 8:15 pm

That's a really sicking and yet fearful. I'm mean what's next? PetSmart having to give you a shot with a chip in there so that'll scan your dna? to know your personilty

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 8:42 pm

TigerFire wrote:
That's a really sicking and yet fearful. I'm mean what's next? PetSmart having to give you a shot with a chip in there so that'll scan your dna? to know your personilty

Please.

This isn't a PetSmart thing. It's also Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, Borders, Barnes & Noble, Macy's, and pretty much every national company that offers retail or customer service jobs. I had to take the exact same personality test several times when filling out applications while looking for a job.

Elsie

15 Jan 2007, 8:54 pm

maybe someone can explain to me...

i have no problem gettng the job, i know how to answer any test given, i conduct myself very well during an interview, and i usually meet all criteria for any position i apply for.

then i get the job....awesome!

then the employer expects me to maintain that persona i portrayed and piece by piece it all comes falling down on top of me.

i either quit or get fired due to an unwanted meltdown.

am i setting myself up for failure? more than likely.
so what's the point of making yourself be something you're not?

it doesn't look good on a resume to have a string of jobs that didn't work out anymore than having no work experience.

i know this sounds like a total pessimistic outlook. and it is.
i've lost count on how many jobs i've gone through.
from video store clerk to four star hotels.

all because i ''faked'' my way in.

there comes a time when the employer expects you to live up to the claim.

how does it get avoided?
the truth can jeopardize the chances....bending the truth or downright lieing can jeopardize the chances, and tarnish your employment record altogether.

I think it really is crappy that so many adults are forced to go from job to job, stand in welfare lineups, or whatever else to survive. all because AS isn't recognized by disabilities offices.

They say that AS isn't linked to crime....I wonder.
Eventually some people are going to resort to drastic measures because they have trouble keeping a job.

I'll probably get some flack for this post. But it's how I see things right now.

Something has to be done to recognize AS....cuz everywhere I read I keep seeing childhood disorder.
HAH!
Did all previous children get cured?? Nope, some of us are still trying to find a way to fit into this world.

:arrow: side note: i actually asked my mom if she ever saw a UFO when she was younger, hinting at possible abduction. 8O

logitechdog
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2007, 9:07 pm

Ignore it machine " Bet you honestly answered your not doing it?" as the others probably don't but lie about it, happened allot that trying to rip people off...

As for putting what you think they want to hear is a mistake they will approach you totally wrong and that is why most say you lied on your application, and why some don't come back for a second interview and some only need 1…

Also you could be 1 letter out of your real personality if you don't answer to your criteria and not what your job or people say you are...

Might feel you do but you don't feel right about it... that would be a (no)... or if your confused you go with second option then change to first then second, first, second, so on

It can take from 1 to 50+ trys to get a job... for anyone... mainly the ones who answer honestly don't have to try as much, but in the interview + you need to do a phone call fallowup unless you told them about the problem... of your anxiety if you got one...

Tomorrow I go to my meeting for the plan to be slapped together for getting into work, going to do voluntary work to add up on impressing the interviewer… could of put it together myself but I felt their ask allot from me so ill make them work see what their come up with lol

(Like don't like working in large teams but will if he has too...)