Even if it no longer "officially exists"

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

Why won't it be "official"?

Last I heard, Gillberg's Criteria for AS will still be valid, and the DSM-V has proposed for the terms Asperger's and Kanner's to be still used if it's prudent (no matter if the label is just "ASD").

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Mar 2013, 10:12 am

It still officially exists in my country, but I've started describing myself as autistic.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 10:22 am

redrobin62 wrote:
I'll identify as being autistic. I do plan to be re-evaluated though just to make sure.
Me too, I'm going to get a full assessment soon and see where I really fall, now that I'm older and now that the diagnostic criteria have changed.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 10:30 am

The way I see it... I was only just qualified as having Aspergers. So now that it's gone, I have a chance to "relabel" myself. Why not just ignore the whole labeling thing and just be what I want? If I'm asked, I can say I have autistic traits. I don't believe that I'm "on the spectrum" enough to call myself even HFA without the Asperger's bridging the gap.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 10:42 am

What people fail to deal with is that autism is a spectrum.

OCD, Bipolar, etc etc, are all being shown to have a very close genetic connection to autism.

So there's really no way to draw a line between mainstream and the autistic.

I'd much prefer to call myself a natural intellectual, who has struggled in a society that advocates emotional values over all else.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 10:59 am

Dillogic wrote:
Why won't it be "official"?

Last I heard, Gillberg's Criteria for AS will still be valid, and the DSM-V has proposed for the terms Asperger's and Kanner's to be still used if it's prudent (no matter if the label is just "ASD").
The Gillberg criteria are actually more strict. I know some people who I don't think would meet this criteria. As for me, I feel like I would but I'm not entirely sure.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2013, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Will you still identify as having AS?

Never did.

Nor do I really identify as PDD NOS, even though I will often refer to the diagnosis jokingly.

I'm autistic. Subtypes don't matter.

Kuribo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2013, 12:05 pm

I'm officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, but I identify as both an Aspie and an Autistic, so it doesn't really make any difference to me whatsoever, and besides, I'm still me...

eightshots
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Mar 2013, 12:28 am

It's been renamed to "awesome syndrome"

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 1:46 am

IDontGetIt wrote:
If it no longer "officially exists"...... that won't matter. As an aspie I am more than capable of a thorough and detailed 3 hour explanation of why it still ACTUALLY exists. :lol:

Agreed! :)

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Mar 2013, 9:44 am

I never cared which word was used; Asperger's or high-functioning autism... I'd use whichever word the other person in the conversation happened to use. I think it's good that we will be using autism as the descriptor now, as maybe it will help to teach the NT public (FINALLY) what autism is, and that it is not the same thing as Down Syndrome or other developmental disabilities, which are completely unrelated to autism.

Charles

Meridian191
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

Asperger's Syndrome is being abolished in my country this year and replaced with Autism Spectrum disorder. I never talk about it, so it makes no difference. In centuries to come, AS will probably be thought of as a short-lived medical diagnosis which was an attempt to categorise a subset within a very wide-ranging set of people, behaviours and symptoms.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 11:11 am

That's OK.

I would rather say I am "Artistic"

Than say I am an "Ass Purger" :D

SupermassiveSouffle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Mar 2013, 10:26 am

Asperger's Syndrome is the diagnosis I was given, so I do still use that term most of the time. However, sometimes I just use "autism/autistic" for various reasons:
1.) Space (e.g. character limits on Twitter)
2.) Because more people are familiar with it - in particular, most people who aren't autistic (or parents, caregivers etc) won't have heard the word "aspie" before.
3.) So I don't get the whole "but Asperger's isn't really autism" thing.
4.) So I don't exclude the rest of the spectrum (if I'm talking about general issues rather than just about myself)

What many people seem to forget is that Asperger's is a form of autism. The autistic spectrum is called a spectrum for a reason. To me, "autistic" and "aspie" are a bit like "British" and "English" - I identify with both, and when I use one term, I don't intend to exclude or denounce the other term.

HereBeDragons
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 12:28 pm

Ettina wrote:

I'm autistic. Subtypes don't matter.[/quote]

Pretty much sums it up for me.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 10:21 pm

It does not matter to me what particular words are used to describe. When speaking with healthcare people, I will use the DSM-V terminology just to avoid confusion. Otherwise I don't care.