Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 10:06 pm

practiced medicine for nine years.

MrStewart
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

I have a bachelors degree, I live alone, and I have a job.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

27 Mar 2013, 10:58 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't think of things that I did as things that I did despite ASD. I think of things that I did as things that I did.

^^^^^

I didn't really notice the "despite your ASD" part, but yes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm

cathylynn wrote:
practiced medicine for nine years.

wow :o i bet your social skills are spot-on. :wtg:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:00 pm

i feel really inferior to all the successful aspies on this thread. but i try not to think about it.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i'm pretty good at occupying space.

me too!

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:06 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i feel really inferior to all the successful aspies on this thread. but i try not to think about it.

You're not alone...I do too.=( I failed miserably at the things everyone else listed -living alone, keeping a job, marriage-when I say failed miserably I mean lasted less than a month- and , yes, that includes the marriage.

However, I have proven myself an extremely talented space occupier, if I do say so myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:11 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You're not alone...I do too.=( I failed miserably at the things everyone else listed -living alone, keeping a job, marriage-when I say failed miserably I mean lasted less than a month- and , yes, that includes the marriage.

However, I have proven myself an extremely talented space occupier, if I do say so myself.

hey- at least you were married, that tells me you have enough social intelligence to attract a mate. i failed totally at that, at least until recently.

Moomingirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Nobody should feel inferior here. I consider myself in the middle, I hold down a good job (but not great) but I never managed to finish a degree. Some of us are luckier at faking it in the NT world. But the downside to that is that we have to deal with people way more than is comfortable, in order to do that. I probably have way more meltdowns than I should, from the pressure of having to work in the NT world. I might look ok to them (for a short while), but I still go home and hide under my duvet and meltdown at the end of nearly every day. If there was any way I could get out of working, without starving to death, then I would.
And a big hug to ALL aspie's out there, we are all going through the same things, just in different ways and places.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

hey- at least you were married, that tells me you have enough social intelligence to attract a mate. i failed totally at that, at least until recently.

It's not hard for a reasonably attractive looking girl to meet someone of the same religion who's "looking for marriage" on an Internet site for people of that religion and marry them. A one month marriage is a massive failure..... think about it, one month at something you entered into ostensibly forever. =( I think since you have found someone now -recently- if you're smart enough to keep them you've been way more successful. I like you, you seem like a nice guy. Good luck.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Ditto. But I can say I'm happy for the most part and that's all that matters. Lots of successful people are miserable. And I'll bet there are a few might envy the simplicity and relative tranquility of my meager lifestyle.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2013, 11:37 pm

Won a nation wide logo contest for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) in the 1990's

Had the lead in creating the graphics for a Historic Hotel's yearly festival

Self taught Sculptor of life like dolls

Self taught Reborn doll artist

Self taught Doll house miniature food sculpting

Volunteered for Braco America (that was a challenge lol)

Author of several short stories (non published)

Taught a volunteer art class

Painted murals

Traveled to France and Algeria twice - once alone with my two children

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:48 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
It's not hard for a reasonably attractive looking girl to meet someone of the same religion who's "looking for marriage" on an Internet site for people of that religion and marry them. A one month marriage is a massive failure..... think about it, one month at something you entered into ostensibly forever. =( I think since you have found someone now -recently- if you're smart enough to keep them you've been way more successful. I like you, you seem like a nice guy. Good luck.

thank you :)
totally out of the blue [i thought i would die a spinster hermit all alone in the woods] another WPer noticed me and befriended me. and now we're gonna meet this weekend, she from AZ and me from washington. wish me/us luck.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2013, 11:50 pm

briankelley wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Ditto. But I can say I'm happy for the most part and that's all that matters. Lots of successful people are miserable. And I'll bet there are a few might envy the simplicity and relative tranquility of my meager lifestyle.

you expressed it very well. :wtg: i live the same way.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
daydreamer84 wrote:

thank you :)
totally out of the blue [i thought i would die a spinster hermit all alone in the woods] another WPer noticed me and befriended me. and now we're gonna meet this weekend, she from AZ and me from washington. wish me/us luck.

That's awesome. Good luck! :)

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2013, 12:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
i'm pretty good at occupying space.

I excel at that one. :D Seriously though, it feels like all I can handle is day to day. I try to make sure that my kids are happy, and know that their loved. I feel I'm just treading water most days, but I'm always grateful to have a roof overhead, and food in our bellies.