Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

23 Apr 2013, 3:32 pm

Highlander852456 wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
. So today it is uncle with autism and in 1950s it was - Ya know your weird uncle who never talks and cuts grass with his pocket knife - :!: that is not normal. It is just society pretending these problems do not exist. Not to mention that with little treatement or advice from doctor people can live better life. The problem is even greater that a lot of culture stuff is being mixed with mental health.

I have an uncle who is weird and even possibly autistic, but hes just considered weird.

I have plenty of aunts and uncles who are considered "odd" by my family. I always wondered if they have AS or a mental illness, and that my mental illness and AS is inherited from them.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2013, 9:17 pm

I remember an e-mail joke YEARS ago! In the 60's you the world was normal you took LSD to be weird!! TODAY! The world is weird you take Prozac to be "normal"

:-)

I don't think pills are the solution. I'm on pills for depression UH! I'm still depressed and think of the past daily so much for pills helping!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

23 Apr 2013, 9:25 pm

Zoloft has helped me considerably in terms of anxiety, and to a lesser extent depression.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:06 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
You have a disorder, as defined by the DSM-5, if you're impaired in your daily life activities. No impairment = no diagnosis. "Impairment" is the difference between what is "normal" and what is not.

Well, this actually sounds pretty simple but also that is not so easy.

I make an example:
When I lay every morning after I wake up 10 min. in bed befor I stand up, is that an imparment?
Is it an impairment when I stand up 30 min. later? One hour? Two hours? When does the impairment start?
It's the same with many behaviours.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 9:33 am

Raziel wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
You have a disorder, as defined by the DSM-5, if you're impaired in your daily life activities. No impairment = no diagnosis. "Impairment" is the difference between what is "normal" and what is not.

I make an example:
When I lay every morning after I wake up 10 min. in bed befor I stand up, is that an imparment?
Is it an impairment when I stand up 30 min. later? One hour? Two hours? When does the impairment start?

Is it significantly getting in the way of your ability to function on a day-to-day basis?

If yes, then it's an impairment. If not, it isn't.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 2:44 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Raziel wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

I make an example:

Is it significantly getting in the way of your ability to function on a day-to-day basis?

If yes, then it's an impairment. If not, it isn't.

Well, I personally think that's also a matter of interpretation.
I don't see it that black and white.

WarmAir
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2013, 5:15 pm

These day everybody has something, even if they never got diagnosed with anything.