Page 2 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 4:22 am

I believe an important thing for mental or mood disorders is you must show the condition is pervasive and affects your life a major way. You can't just say you have anxiety or depression here and there, it must be pervasive.

Also they will have one of their own doctors exam you, and he or she will decide if it is pervasive enough for you to get it. Your doctor doesn't decide it.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

20 Apr 2013, 5:22 am

Mootoo wrote:
I got the impression (from reading posts here) that in the US struggling aspies have little options... unless they are clearly autistic/non-verbal etc. (that is, until it becomes Sparta and starts to just kill them en masse (cuz, y'know, capitalism isn't sustained on the back of those types... or so the obese cats think)).

Or... well, what would happen if e.g. someone is wrecked with anxiety? I understand that the definition of 'disability' in the US is mostly about physical ailments... and so, what would happen if such a person is utterly hopeless/terrified at finding jobs? Would they think they're lying?

Generally, my impression of how health is treated in the US is horrifying... with regards to insurance, as Sicko details, practically anyone who is ill/unable to cope with life is simply bulldozed over. Kind of glad I'm not there, but as I was generally still in a miserable state sometimes I wonder if a quicker death, like many Americans probably have just because insurance companies want to get richer and richer ("muahaha!" Until they realize that, oops... money is actually the total antithesis of happiness), could possibly be more expeditious.

This is pretty accurate, although I've heard awful things about the NHS, too. I'd still probably take it over what we have (or don't have).

On the other hand, I have gotten insurance to pay for both my diagnosis and several treatment options which I've tried. I don't really know what I would get differently in the UK that I wouldn't get here. Like how can you support mild autism and sensory issues? I have no idea. Is there even a therapy you can do for these things? What exactly would I be getting over in the UK that I wouldn't get here? My impression is the options are s**t both places with respect to mild autism.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2013, 7:57 am

In my wife's case with cancer and being unable to work, it looked like they weren't going to give her SSI/SSD despite being unable to work for the next two years in addition to the tests she needs for the rest of her life. Luckily she went to a therapist and psychologist and was diagnosed with GAD, PTSD, and Depression and we recieved it within a few months of that. We even had a lawyer for the case and nothing happened for a year. There were a number of cancer patients in the chemotherapy sessions who didn't recieve help for years, some died before it was approved. There are very real problems with the system, but it does help a large number of people.

If I am diagnosed I don't plan to just go on SSI/SSD unless I really need it, but I might take advantage of job help to be placed somewhere with less stress that plays more to my strengths if they have that available.

RAADS-R: 189 total
Diagnosed 9/2013

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 8:34 am

DVCal wrote:
In the U.S you don't have to be profoundly autistic to get on SSI, a large percentage of aspies are on SSI in the U.S and get free government healthcare.

If you have major anxiety and cannot work then a doctor will write a letter stating such, you will apply for disability and likely get it. Millions of people in the U.S are on disability because of depression or anxiety and NOT for physical reasons.

So the information you got about disability is 100% FALSE, completely FALSE.

Anyone who is unable to work for MENTAL or PHYSICAL reasons in the U.S is given free healthcare.

Actually that is not quite how it works, more like multiple doctors and health and/or mental health professionals examine you and regardless of a doctors letter stating you can't work you will more likely than not get denied. Then you can go through the gruelling appeal process, to challenge the decision and try and get your SSI. For people with mental illnesses like anxiety, depression, PTSD or whatever its not so easy to confidently communicate the information they want the way they want it.

And though I won't say its untrue as I don't know I am not sure if its exactly millions of people on disability because of depression or anxiety...I'd have to see a source on that one.

Also its actually false that anyone who is unable to work for mental or physical reasons is given free healthcare. A lot of times you have to be on SSI to get free healthcare unless you're over 65 it might vary a little by state. Not being able to work due to your condition hardly guarantees SSI. Then if you are lucky enough to get SSI to help you out financially due to being unable to work it sure as hell isn't much....not that I'd complain but realistically its not really enough for someone to really get on their feet or anything.

So while its true there are some resources for those who aren't coping in life, the system is pretty shoddy and the problem still lingers on...many people who need help aren't getting it. So not sure how what was in the OP is 100% False, Completely False.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 8:39 am

DVCal wrote:
It still is one of the leading reasons for SSDI/SSI,, which still shows the claim that people with these conditions don't get disability is false.

How is it false when lots of people with debilitating anxiety and depression don't end up getting disability? It is false that no one gets disability for those conditions but not false that some don't. And where do you gather that its the leading reason for SSDI/SSI...I was under the impression physical impairments where still the leading cause.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:35 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
DVCal wrote:
It still is one of the leading reasons for SSDI/SSI,, which still shows the claim that people with these conditions don't get disability is false.

How is it false when lots of people with debilitating anxiety and depression don't end up getting disability? It is false that no one gets disability for those conditions but not false that some don't. And where do you gather that its the leading reason for SSDI/SSI...I was under the impression physical impairments where still the leading cause.

It is one of the leading, it isn't number 1.

Number 1 is Arthritis and closely related conditions. Number 2 is anxiety and depressive mood disorders, number 3 is other mental disorders.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:41 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
DVCal wrote:
In the U.S you don't have to be profoundly autistic to get on SSI, a large percentage of aspies are on SSI in the U.S and get free government healthcare.

If you have major anxiety and cannot work then a doctor will write a letter stating such, you will apply for disability and likely get it. Millions of people in the U.S are on disability because of depression or anxiety and NOT for physical reasons.

So the information you got about disability is 100% FALSE, completely FALSE.

Anyone who is unable to work for MENTAL or PHYSICAL reasons in the U.S is given free healthcare.

Actually that is not quite how it works, more like multiple doctors and health and/or mental health professionals examine you and regardless of a doctors letter stating you can't work you will more likely than not get denied. Then you can go through the gruelling appeal process, to challenge the decision and try and get your SSI. For people with mental illnesses like anxiety, depression, PTSD or whatever its not so easy to confidently communicate the information they want the way they want it.

And though I won't say its untrue as I don't know I am not sure if its exactly millions of people on disability because of depression or anxiety...I'd have to see a source on that one.

Also its actually false that anyone who is unable to work for mental or physical reasons is given free healthcare. A lot of times you have to be on SSI to get free healthcare unless you're over 65 it might vary a little by state. Not being able to work due to your condition hardly guarantees SSI. Then if you are lucky enough to get SSI to help you out financially due to being unable to work it sure as hell isn't much....not that I'd complain but realistically its not really enough for someone to really get on their feet or anything.

So while its true there are some resources for those who aren't coping in life, the system is pretty shoddy and the problem still lingers on...many people who need help aren't getting it. So not sure how what was in the OP is 100% False, Completely False.

While it is true many have to go through an appeal process, this isn't true for everyone. Also you don't have to see many doctors, the person I know only saw 1 single government doctor. If you truly cannot work and can demonstrate this you will almost definitely win any appeal. The idea that mass number of people who are unable to work are being denies SSI/SSDI even after appeal isn't substantiated and is nothing more than a myth.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:42 am

DVCal wrote:
I believe an important thing for mental or mood disorders is you must show the condition is pervasive and affects your life a major way. You can't just say you have anxiety or depression here and there, it must be pervasive.

Also they will have one of their own doctors exam you, and he or she will decide if it is pervasive enough for you to get it. Your doctor doesn't decide it.

Their doctor is to acquire further information about ones condition they don't diagnose and they arent the one who decides if you get the SSI or not in any way shape or form. The doctor you see for SSI cant rule out the opinion of the doctors/health professionals that individual goes to.

Where are you getting you information about SSI? I am curious.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:49 am

DVCal wrote:
While it is true many have to go through an appeal process, this isn't true for everyone.

I am well aware of that.

Quote:
Also you don't have to see many doctors, the person I know only saw 1 single government doctor. If you truly cannot work and can demonstrate this you will almost definitely win any appeal.

Fair enough you don't 'have' to, however it certainly helps as it provides more medical records....its very rare one would get approved based on seeing the government doctor for a short assesment which is all they do, not saying it can't happen but yeah its pretty rare. Even when you go and apply they advise you to get as much medical records as you can because typically one visit with their government doctor is not sufficient enough to make a decision.

And ideally yes, anyone who cannot work due to their condition would win the appeal........but that is not always the case.

Quote:
The idea that mass number of people who are unable to work are being denies SSI/SSDI even after appeal isn't substantiated and is nothing more than a myth.

I doubt its a myth that, that happens to many people it likely does.......not sure that its as widespread as you're thinking people are saying it is but I'm sure it happens more often than it should.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:51 am

DVCal wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DVCal wrote:

Number 1 is Arthritis and closely related conditions. Number 2 is anxiety and depressive mood disorders, number 3 is other mental disorders.

According to what exactly? I mean I doubt you pulled that out of nowhere so what is the source?

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 12:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DVCal wrote:

Their doctor is to acquire further information about ones condition they don't diagnose and they arent the one who decides if you get the SSI or not in any way shape or form. The doctor you see for SSI cant rule out the opinion of the doctors/health professionals that individual goes to.

Where are you getting you information about SSI? I am curious.

From SSI website and people I know who are on SSI. Of course this doctor doesn't have the final say, but their opinion does matter, and your own doctor opinion is also very relevant. These people had to send in letters, test results, and other things from their own personal doctor. But if their own doctor says you are not disabled that will likely cause a denial.

While it is true for physical disability their doctor is unlikely to do much, for mental disability this couldn't be further from the truth. And in a mental case these people opinion are ultimately what is most important. So I am not sure were you are getting your information from.

FYI starting Jan 1st any one who is unemployed for any reason will get free healthcare in the ACA.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 12:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
DVCal wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
DVCal wrote:

According to what exactly? I mean I doubt you pulled that out of nowhere so what is the source?

http://cnsnews.com/sites/default/files/ ... T-2011.pdf

You see number one is (Musculoskeletal system and
connective tissue) which is Arthritus and closely related disorders at 26.3%

Number two is mood disorders at 14.2%

If you add up all of the other mental disorders you get 12.4%

So total for mental is 26.6%.

This is only for SSDI, SSI administrative does NOT publish its numbers in detail like this.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 12:33 pm

I was denied simply because I filled out the forms too well and too much in detail.... they actually wrote that I seem to have no intellectual impairment (think clearly, etc.) and no evidence of emotional impairment (even though I have schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), generalized anxiety disorder, depression and ADHD). All these are in my medical records as diagnoses. I also have physical problems including Hashimoto's (in treatment since 1998), musculoskeletal defects, etc.

Funny that in retrospect, I've NEVER had gainful employment (over $1000/month) EVER in my life....

I think the system is really messed up. I'm happy for the people that get help that need it, of course, bless them. Wouldn't mind at least half the people that scam the system to be booted from it though.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 12:41 pm

kirayng wrote:
I was denied simply because I filled out the forms too well and too much in detail.... they actually wrote that I seem to have no intellectual impairment (think clearly, etc.) and no evidence of emotional impairment (even though I have schizoaffective disorder (bipolar type), generalized anxiety disorder, depression and ADHD). All these are in my medical records as diagnoses. I also have physical problems including Hashimoto's (in treatment since 1998), musculoskeletal defects, etc.

Funny that in retrospect, I've NEVER had gainful employment (over $1000/month) EVER in my life....

I think the system is really messed up. I'm happy for the people that get help that need it, of course, bless them. Wouldn't mind at least half the people that scam the system to be booted from it though.

Did you appeal?

I know so many are denied the first time. I have heard horror stores of people who are quadriplegic who need 24/7 vent being denied the first time.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 1:03 pm

DVCal wrote:
kirayng wrote:

Did you appeal?

I know so many are denied the first time. I have heard horror stores of people who are quadriplegic who need 24/7 vent being denied the first time.

I had an amount of time to appeal but didn't, mostly because I couldn't figure out what to do next.... I was really surprised to be turned down and also in the way that it happened. I spent 10 minutes with their doc, said my name, birthday and was weighed, measured, looked at, then left to change and leave. Basically the whole process was horrifying, the forms were like 10-page essays and I had to have medicaid (which I was also denied) to have someone help me with them so I did the best I could. Basically I'm highly verbal, so probably didn't help things much.

Would it have helped to appeal? I would've needed a lawyer (which I talked to two to see if they'd take my case, and one said, no, because I didn't have much in medical evidence (!?) even though they didn't offer to take a look at it, and the other said it depended on if I was appealing or not (which I was in the first stage, they wouldn't take my case until I had to appeal-- ). I kill myself working part-time in service industry jobs; so I guess technically I can work... but it's not gainful employment, never has been.

What do you think?

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 1:17 pm

kirayng wrote:
DVCal wrote:
kirayng wrote:

Did you appeal?

I had an amount of time to appeal but didn't, mostly because I couldn't figure out what to do next.... I was really surprised to be turned down and also in the way that it happened. I spent 10 minutes with their doc, said my name, birthday and was weighed, measured, looked at, then left to change and leave. Basically the whole process was horrifying, the forms were like 10-page essays and I had to have medicaid (which I was also denied) to have someone help me with them so I did the best I could. Basically I'm highly verbal, so probably didn't help things much.

Would it have helped to appeal? I would've needed a lawyer (which I talked to two to see if they'd take my case, and one said, no, because I didn't have much in medical evidence (!?) even though they didn't offer to take a look at it, and the other said it depended on if I was appealing or not (which I was in the first stage, they wouldn't take my case until I had to appeal-- ). I kill myself working part-time in service industry jobs; so I guess technically I can work... but it's not gainful employment, never has been.

What do you think?

Often times you have to be denied first then go out and find a lawyer who will only get paid if you win, he will take 30 to 50% of the back SSI or SSDI money as payment. But for an aspie the whole process can be very difficult to go through a lone without a close family or friend advocating and guiding you, so doing it all alone I am not surprised you didn't appeal.

There is a good chance it would have helped, it wouldn't hurt.