03 May 2013, 7:17 am

Greb wrote:
Stoek wrote:
Greb wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
Stoek wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
All I can say is he's remarkably 'together' for an aspie

There's no sign of neurological slowness at all so I'm not surprised people think he's normal

he seems pretty adept vocally as well

he's at the near-NT end of the spectrum and certainly doesn't represent my form of Aspergers
If you spend any time playing with camera's it's very easy to get to his level of fluidness. You basically get all the feed back you lack naturally, via the machine.

I couldn't and don't see why I should even have to

I find it disturbing that people are even attempting to become something they're not

What's so wrong about being yourself?

What's so wrong about trying to be better?

Agreed there's a huge difference in trying to be better understood, and trying to be an nt.

It's very frustrating that some people in the AS community, tend to discredit anyone that makes progress, I've fought tooth and nail for what I got, and it's not because I'm magically more nt.

One of the worst and best experiences of my life was working at call centers. I learned how to talk, yet it was horridly stressful and I would of never of done it if I had realized I had aspergers.

Indeed, when somebody who has not a natural and instinctive fluidity gets it, in my opinion it says much more about this person: it doesn't only say that he can communicate in a fluid way. It says that he has courage and persistence to achieve it. And more merit, of course.

I've got no plans to make a video of myself and put it on Youtube though so no need for this fluidity.
I can communicate well if the other person is receptive and intelligent so that's good enough for me.

I don't want or need to become all things to all people - if others do that's fair enough.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 7:41 am

nessa238 wrote:

There's no sign of neurological slowness at all so I'm not surprised people think he's normal

he's at the near-NT end of the spectrum and certainly doesn't represent my form of Aspergers

If you watch his other video he grew up in the circus, obviously spending most of your life on the road, would make one more better able to communicate.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 7:46 am

Stoek wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

If you watch his other video he grew up in the circus, obviously spending most of your life on the road, would make one more better able to communicate.

Yes probably

I have very limited tolerance for all these 'Let me talk to you about my experience of Aspergers/Autism etc' type videos - I can
rarely even be bothered to watch them to the end

it's the same with any talking head amateur videos really - I don't find the people nearly as interesting as they do themselves

On the other hand I found the video of Steven Pinker's talk about language/communication that someone posted on here recently very interesting

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 7:01 pm

Stoek wrote:

Well, perhaps not obviously.....

Interpersonal single-person/group communication is very different than communicating with a group. That said, all three types of communication get easier the more you practice.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 9:52 pm

nessa238 wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

-------------------------
I have very limited tolerance for all these 'Let me talk to you about my experience of Aspergers/Autism etc' type videos - I can

it's the same with any talking head amateur videos really - I don't find the people nearly as interesting as they do themselves

On the other hand I found the video of Steven Pinker's talk about language/communication that someone posted on here recently very interesting

You constantly confuse me. Why do you consider someone who can speak fluidly to be more NT? My brother is amazing at speaking, yet he is definitely deep in the spectrum. I am horrible at speaking, yet I'm considered to be "better off." I wasn't aware someone could base a diagnosis on a video they didn't care about in the first place. There are many, many shades on the spectrum.

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

03 May 2013, 11:00 pm

I like this, sums up things people have told me recently. Worst of all from my own family sometimes.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 9:47 am

kamiyu910 wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

-------------------------

You constantly confuse me. Why do you consider someone who can speak fluidly to be more NT? My brother is amazing at speaking, yet he is definitely deep in the spectrum. I am horrible at speaking, yet I'm considered to be "better off." I wasn't aware someone could base a diagnosis on a video they didn't care about in the first place. There are many, many shades on the spectrum.

Because speaking is one of the main ways of seeing how well coordinated a person's brain is and how quickly it works.
That is separate from intelligence and common sense though so while the person in that video comes across more fluidly and coherently than me, I could still be more intelligent than him. What is 'NTness' anyway if not the ability to convince others that you are NT either because you actually are or because you can mimic them?

We evidently conceptualise NTness differently

I watched enough of the video to form the impression that the person isn't very far down the spectrum and could pass for NT with most people.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 10:04 am

So you don't like the "genre" and he's not autistic enough for you. I don't see what the big problems is?

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 10:25 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
So you don't like the "genre" and he's not autistic enough for you. I don't see what the big problems is?

I never said there was a 'problem'; other posters seemed to have the problem with me expressing my opinion.

I don't want anyone to be any particular way; I just get fed up of people who are to all intents and purposes pretty NT being held up as examples of how we all 'ought' to be.

He can be your king if you like him but I don't see him as anything special

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 10:57 am

nessa238 wrote:
neilson_wheels wrote:

I never said there was a 'problem'; other posters seemed to have the problem with me expressing my opinion.

I don't want anyone to be any particular way; I just get fed up of people who are to all intents and purposes pretty NT being held up as examples of how we all 'ought' to be.

I really did not think the thread title is appropriate but I'm glad it got my attention and that I saw this video.

This guy is trying to get a message across using humour, a tactic that seems to work quite well for a large audience in the current world of sound bites and short attention spans. I personally don't have much time for a dead pan delivery, straight to camera for 15+ minutes on any subject.

If you could not give this guy 1 minute and 29 seconds of your time, okay. If you don't like the content of his video, fair enough.

I did watch this and some of his other films. It turns out he likes to entertain people and has aspergers.

If your only issue is with the title of thread and it's extrapolation, then I think you should be asking the OP about that. If that is the case it seems to have been missed by most people on here. It comes across to me that you are attacking the video and it's maker which is why people are defending this.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 11:26 am

neilson_wheels wrote:
nessa238 wrote:
neilson_wheels wrote:

I really did not think the thread title is appropriate but I'm glad it got my attention and that I saw this video.

This guy is trying to get a message across using humour, a tactic that seems to work quite well for a large audience in the current world of sound bites and short attention spans. I personally don't have much time for a dead pan delivery, straight to camera for 15+ minutes on any subject.

If you could not give this guy 1 minute and 29 seconds of your time, okay. If you don't like the content of his video, fair enough.

I did watch this and some of his other films. It turns out he likes to entertain people and has aspergers.

If your only issue is with the title of thread and it's extrapolation, then I think you should be asking the OP about that. If that is the case it seems to have been missed by most people on here. It comes across to me that you are attacking the video and it's maker which is why people are defending this.

I haven't attacked anyone as far as I'm aware

Can you tell me which parts are seen as attacks?

I just said he didn't seem very aspie to me - how is that an attack?

I did watch this video all the way through as well - I got this video mixed up with one posted on another thread

The humour aspect made it more watchable but if I hadn't been told he was aspie I would never have guessed

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 12:04 pm

nessa238 wrote:
Because speaking is one of the main ways of seeing how well coordinated a person's brain is and how quickly it works.

Citation please. I have never seen this as a diagnostic criteria in any manual or test. I would like to know your source on this statement.

nessa238 wrote:
What is 'NTness' anyway if not the ability to convince others that you are NT either because you actually are or because you can mimic them?

Effective verbal communication has nothing to do with mimicing NTs, or trying to be like them. Developing verbal skills makes you able to be understood on the spot, in real life applications... whether you are talking to NTs or Aspies or other Autistic Spectrum individuals...

nessa238 wrote:
I watched enough of the video to form the impression that the person isn't very far down the spectrum and could pass for NT with most people.

Your statement here is kind of... no... truly offensive. You watched enough to basically make a diagnosis on an individual, to doubt his diagnosis, to tell how deep his particular form of Autism runs? By watching a 2 minute video?

What you obviously don't realize is that on video, he can take as many tries to get it right. As someone that makes his own vlog and professional films, there are more takes that what we show... Further, there were jump cuts in that film, meaning that he DID use multiple takes on at least one section.

That being said, you state that you don't want to emulate Neurotypicals... yet, here you are, doing just that. Dismissing one of us because YOU don't see it is a decidedly NT trait. Not wishing to make one's self understood is an irrationally NT trait.

For the record, the burden of understanding falls on the communicator... it is your thoughts you are trying to get across...

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 12:08 pm

nessa238

Maybe attack was too harsh a word and criticise would be more appropriate.

This guy seems to be himself and is not attempting to project himself as anything else.

The fact that there are cuts between each of the characters and one in the final section, which could have been a single take, shows that the amount of effort put into this short film is an unknown. It may have taken him 5 minutes or 5 hours to rehearse, film and edit this, we just don't know.

I feel you have been critical in assuming that this guy or anyone else wants to achieve more NTness.

boywonder
Raven
Raven

04 May 2013, 12:27 pm

Hairy beardy guys make good kings.
Humour of autism has been hardly used in media, [apart from onion parodies et al] nice to see from a hfa guy who genuinely likes to be entertaining, and seems to be pretty good at it.

The hfa and lfa arguments over representations of autism, will always prevail as long as the DSM continues to group us all together. This conflict of interest as seen above, is on their hands

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 12:33 pm

Feralucce wrote:
nessa238 wrote:

Citation please. I have never seen this as a diagnostic criteria in any manual or test. I would like to know your source on this statement.

nessa238 wrote:
What is 'NTness' anyway if not the ability to convince others that you are NT either because you actually are or because you can mimic them?

Effective verbal communication has nothing to do with mimicing NTs, or trying to be like them. Developing verbal skills makes you able to be understood on the spot, in real life applications... whether you are talking to NTs or Aspies or other Autistic Spectrum individuals...

nessa238 wrote:

Your statement here is kind of... no... truly offensive. You watched enough to basically make a diagnosis on an individual, to doubt his diagnosis, to tell how deep his particular form of Autism runs? By watching a 2 minute video?

What you obviously don't realize is that on video, he can take as many tries to get it right. As someone that makes his own vlog and professional films, there are more takes that what we show... Further, there were jump cuts in that film, meaning that he DID use multiple takes on at least one section.

That being said, you state that you don't want to emulate Neurotypicals... yet, here you are, doing just that. Dismissing one of us because YOU don't see it is a decidedly NT trait. Not wishing to make one's self understood is an irrationally NT trait.

For the record, the burden of understanding falls on the communicator... it is your thoughts you are trying to get across...

I can have my own opinions without having to provide citations - it's called thinking for yourself

I haven't dismissed him either

I don't get why people on here, most of whom are desperate to learn how to be more NT/come across as NT are getting so worked up that I would say an aspie comes over as pretty NT

Doesn't that make him some kind of winner in your world?

Either you think being NT is a good thing or you don't
make your minds up and let me know the answer as the goalposts seem to get moved all the time!

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2013, 12:44 pm

He is funny. My favourite one is the man with the gray wig and the cigarrette.