Ideally, what supports would you need to be successful?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2013, 10:51 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies. What I keep seeing, time and time again, is a huge need for the following:

* Vocational Supports: not only things like job coaches, but acceptance and support among the larger working community for people with social and emotional differences. Having sessions where one's challenges and strengths are highlighted are an idea. For those struggling to fit in and have an understanding person who can support them through this, it could foster a more inclusive workplace.

* More workplaces that accept and are willing to hire someone with an AS profile and that focus on things like portfolios/demonstrated work rather than their ability to pass an interview.

* Independent living supports (so as mentioned, stuff like assistance with day-to-day chores and housekeeping).

* Services specifically geared towards people on the spectrum who have anxiety, depression, and issues with self-acceptance/self-esteem. Assistance with these issues can promote a full and happy life. A few years ago, I had periods of anxiety and depression that were so bad that I self-medicated, dove into unhealthy relationships, isolated myself and could not get out of bed. I was lucky to have a persistent personality and a good support network, but many people on the spectrum don`t.

Please keep the replies coming as I`d love to hear as many perspectives as possible. :)

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term therapists - that I am an anxious and highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder.

My diagnoses - social anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive disorder.

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

velocirapture
Raven
Raven

06 Jun 2013, 12:10 am

A big obstacle for me will be getting a job when I re-enter the workforce. Right now I am a stay at home mother, but I want to have a career when my daughter is a little older.

In the past, job interviews were tricky. Getting along at work was even trickier, since I had to keep it up for much longer. I am worried that having been away from the social etiquette of the workplace for some time, I will have forgotten anything I learned. I would love it if there were workshops for how to improve skills at interviews, networking, and dealing with the office bully.

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 1:03 am

I too struggle badly with job seeking, even though I believe I would make a very good employee once I learned the ropes. I am too sensitive to rejection, never know how to sell myself, get intimidated, can't lie the way most people seem to, and totally feel like a fraud every time I try to get a job.
I feel like I am a dog trying to get a job usually done by cats, by pretending to be a cat. I will never out-cat a cat. I need employers who are capable of understanding the benefits a dog will bring, and happy for me to do dog things, and not expecting me to do cat things.
Cats can't do everything. The world would benefit more from both.

By the way, I have cats not dogs. Their names are Ducky, Dexter and Cupcake. They are ragdoll siamese cross and totally gorgeous and friendly, and keep me company when I go to the chicken coop.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 5:30 am

loner1984 wrote:
A new brain.

Have some serious problems with learning.

Other than that, someone to do everything at hope. someone to cook, someone to clean, someone to wash clothes.

A job without any other people, my alone in a room. getting driven to and from work by a driver.

A tiny bit unrealistic sadly.

I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself. Just keep on vocalising your needs as much as possible and wait and see what happens.

Be happy with yourself :)