Gender Identity Disorder and Asperger's Syndrnome.

Page 2 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Do you have gender issues?
Yes, I do have gender issues and I have AS 54%  54%  [ 163 ]
Yes, I do have gender issues, but not AS 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
No, I do not have gender issues, but have AS 42%  42%  [ 128 ]
No, I don't have either of the two 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 304

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 7:54 pm

SeaBright wrote:
I also always thought gender stopped with the genitalia, and the rest were items of social mores. Which it turns out is largely true.
I am confused there as to what GID IS exactly.

There are three generalized stages of sexual differentiation.

1. differentiation of external genitalia
2. differentiation of internal genitalia
3. differentiation of the brain

These differentiations are dependent on the amount of androgens present at those given times. The more androgens present, the more stereotypically "male" the person will be in that particular category. It isn't a matter of the presence or lack of androgens; there is a whole range which is why there is a range of gender and sexual identity in humans. People aren't just either heterosexual or homosexual. There are many grades in between, which is due to varying degrees of androgens present during foetal development at given times.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 7:55 pm

I am transgendered btw.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 8:22 pm

What's this! a nerdy dag like me dressing like a woman. Hardly!

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 9:27 pm

When I was a kid, I wanted to change my sex to a girl. However, it had nothing do to with gender issues. It's simply because every adult in my life made it clear that girls have it easier, unintentionally, albeit. They would tell me things like "boys aren't supposed to cry", "boys are supposed to be active", "boys are supposed to give up seats [on the bus] for girls", etc. Basically, there many thing boys "weren't allowed" to do. Obviously, I was seeing 50% of the population getting the better deal, and desperately wanted to become one of them.

The desire to change my sex faded out around age 9. Once the puberty kicked in, being me again became the worse deal, but for a different reason. This time, I didn't want to become a girl, but rather a player-type guy. Now, at age 23, I'm more-or-less comfortable with who I am, as I at least managed to learn enough skills to get a date once in a while.

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2007, 9:43 pm

Sophist wrote:
I am transgendered btw.

For some reason, I'm not too surprised. You always did seem Androgynous to me. :|

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 10:00 pm

Sedaka wrote:
SteveK wrote:
had GID or whatever.

And YEAH, homosexual and GID are two different things, even if they DO sound alike.

of the people posting... it doesn't really sound like it to me that they're mixing up homosexuality and GID.

notice the people are saying they wanted to BE the other sex.... not hump their own sex.

and in my "fantasies" with women, i wasn't a women... so i wouldn't say they were homosexual tendancies.

I know. Someone seemed to tie the two together and I clarified it. That's all.

I wouldn't have figured you, starbuline, or sophist would feel this way.

As for the idea of the male brain, as I said on asdgestalt, AS people tend to have a better vocabulary and be more analytical. That is almost like a hybrid. Having some of the strengths that are traditionally female as well as male.

It would be interesting to see how interhemisphere corpus callosum connectivity is affected.

Steve

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 10:22 pm

dexkaden wrote:
I don't think I have gender identity problems. I just like to wear boy clothes because they are more comfortable. If girl pants were a little less form-fitting, I'd wear them no problem. And if girl shirts didn't have silly sleeves or came in better colors, I'd wear those, too. And as far as interests go--I supposedly have "boy" interests, but all that says is I am more interested in how things work than what the latest celebrity gossip is, I think.

I think people assume I am trying to be a boy by dressing in comfortable clothes just because they don't understand how uncomfortable other clothes really are. Case in point: I have a pair of pink slippers with white fir and a pair of pink plaid pajama pants and a purple coat. If it is comfortable and a decent color, I will wear it.

Hey, I do the same :) , and I don't think that's a GID symptom

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 11:08 pm

Marrshu wrote:
Sophist wrote:
I am transgendered btw.

For some reason, I'm not too surprised. You always did seem Androgynous to me. :|

LOL, to me, too. I find my situation is better described by transgendered than by "lesbian". I guess I have attraction to both sexes... sort of. I'm pretty asexual though. For me the GID and sexual attraction are separate, even though that's not the same for everyone.

28 Jan 2007, 11:11 pm

I don't get why so many people create polls to be part of the discussion. it seems unnecessary to me.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 11:14 pm

Jutty wrote:
I don't get why so many people create polls to be part of the discussion. it seems unnecessary to me.

Sometimes easier than counting through all the posts.

And it's something to do. :)

AlexandertheSolitary
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2007, 11:19 pm

As a child in primary school I used to want to be a girl. In retrospect I am glad that I do not have to put up with the abhorrent way many men treat women. Admittedly not all are particularly kind to those of their own gender either. Also, some women can be manipulative as well. I just seemed to have more interests in common with a higher proportion of girls as a child, though some of my closest friends were male. This is still true to some extent, though a slightly higher proportion of males with common interests than formerly (still lower than the corresponding proportion of female acquaintances) may have coincided with university.

I do not see why Gender Identity Disorder, if such a thing exists, would be confused with homosexuality; these seem to me to be entirely separate. I did not wish to be a girl because I found boys attractive, but rather because I found their (girls') pursuits more interesting than football. Not necessarily logical given the interests one pursues need not be bound by gender, but I was a child at the time.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2007, 11:47 pm

Ever since I was a child I wanted to be male. I was a tomboy growing up too but my neighborhood was pretty much all boys so that could be why I'm that way. I know I'm a woman and I don't feel like I was born in the wrong body but I seem to think more like men and can relate to men better than women. I'm kind of like just "one of the guys".

So I don't if it's more of a male mind or what, I just know I don't think like women as much. Between that and my AS, I think it's harder for me to make friends. I also think men have it easier then women in a lot of ways. That's a lot of the reason I wish I was a male.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2007, 6:27 am

Droopy wrote:
So I don't if it's more of a male mind or what, I just know I don't think like women as much. Between that and my AS, I think it's harder for me to make friends. I also think men have it easier then women in a lot of ways.

Women generally DO have an easier time with friends/marriage.

I guess physically, respect wise, etc... it depends.

HECK, even having a baby, some women act like it is nothing, and some swear they will never have another because of the pain, etc...

Steve

Marrshu
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2007, 7:57 am

Droopy wrote:
I also think men have it easier then women in a lot of ways. That's a lot of the reason I wish I was a male.

I think this issue really depends on how you look at it (and how you were raised.) I'd personally disagree and say that Men have it harder.

Sebo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Mar 2009, 11:03 am

I saw this posting and was wondering what people think of our son's situation. He is 14 and has Asperger's and has been wearing a wig made out of a shirt, to make it look like he has long hair that he brushes etc. Recently, my husband and I have found him giving himself very large breasts by stuffing things in his shirt and walking around his room in front of his mirror. He sort of hides in his room with this but yesterday decided not to hide at all and we were just sort of shocked. We both sort of thought that the hair thing was a little different but we are really wondering now if he is having sexual identity issues. He has always loved girl dolls and plays with his sisters dolls all the time. Because he was taking our daughter's dolls, and really messing them up and hiding them, I decided to get him his own hair styling princess doll the other day. He was extremely happy. I told him that there is nothing wrong with liking to style hair and that there was nothing to be ashamed of. I told him that many men make a profession of doing hair and he said 'wow, really???" and I said "yes really and some even become very famous." I think this acknowledgement gave him the courage to put on the fake breast things and the hair thing without trying to hide it. Anyone ever have an experience similar to this with someone who also has Asperger's?

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Mar 2009, 11:25 am

I used to wish I was a boy when I was younger.. I HATE dressing up, shopping, gossip, fashion.. just about everything one could consider "girly".

I love building, nerdy games, car racing, constructionwork and such things..