Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 6:35 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:

You got it. Seabright, why exactly are you talking to these people? Are you being forced to do so?

You know the reference that Aspies never forget a conversation? This is just a resurfacing of an oooold experience, as early as 20 years ago. Having never had the question answered it still remains.

I like your take on the matter, btw-you are my new icon :P

and you all too. gathered together, you've hit spot on.
I needed a 'second' a 'here-hear', or something that actually made sense from their point of view, which likely may never be coming.

:wink:

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Arla
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2007, 6:51 pm

SeaBright wrote:
When They Say, "Get A Life" What are They meaning exactly?

Taking this specific phrase literally is unwise. These people aren't using that phrase to indicate a "life" that they want you to have. Most times when someone says this, what they are actually saying is "Shut up, you're annoying me".

Now, this can be said for many reasons - Perhaps you have, as stated earlier, gone into very minute detail about something (hubble telescope was the example) that was only of minor and very minimal interest to the person who mentioned it. What that person is actually saying in "shorthand" with "Get a Life" is: "I am not interested in your long-winded explanation. I have very little interest on this subject, and really don't like being bombarded with information on something I mentioned casually in passing."

Most people don't say "Shut Up" anymore because we have finally been taught by our parents that it is very rude. "Get a Life" is also rude, but since it wasn't specifically beaten into the mass of us, many of us are not conditioned against it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 7:01 pm

"Get a Life", to my understanding, means "don't be lazy" or "do something constructive".

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

nicklegends
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2007, 7:42 pm

NeoPlatonist wrote:
I think that most NTs just can't imagine the things that aren't fun for them are fun for anyone else and then they think that all we do is work work work. I have become reasonably satisfied with my life even though it, apparently, is without fun or relaxation just because I get my fun and relaxation from other sources.

Very well said. It's just another example of NTs treating us as if we were them.

BillM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jan 2007, 8:03 pm

I say "Ignore them"
NTs spend much of their lives pursuing happiness. True happiness is such a rare state of mind as may be considered an abberation and is very probably eligible for treatment under the terms of your health insurance!

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 8:50 pm

Arla wrote:
Most people don't say "Shut Up" anymore because we have finally been taught by our parents that it is very rude. "Get a Life" is also rude, but since it wasn't specifically beaten into the mass of us, many of us are not conditioned against it.

Arla,

I laughed out loud when I read this part. The whole way through your post up to this point I was thinking, then they should just say, Shut up.

I always tell people not to be subtle with me because I can guarantee I won't get it. (Not that anyone tells me to shut because I don't talk to them unless I absolutely have no choice.) However, I do occasionally get the passive/aggressive types who are "offended" at my abrupt emails that lack adjectives and adverbs. They come over with their convoluted nonsense until I finally say, "I'm not going to get what you are telling me unless you just say it, so, just say it." Then, they usually get mad and say it. After enough blank looks during these attempts to communicate with me, they eventually figure out that they must literally tell me things or I won't get them. Things usually settle down then and the humans and I have a peaceful existence.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 9:43 pm

I feel I have a good life. I have a job, varied interests, a good relationship with my family and pets I love and care for. Call me the "Crazy Cat Lady," but I enjoy the company of my cats. They are a real comfort to me.