Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ak_born
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Oct 2013, 5:24 pm

I have the same strange conflict of wanting to be around people and not liking it at the same time. I prefer to do things with people and feel less trapped in my mind, but I also have a low tolerance for social situations before I start to get overstimulated/overwhelmed.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 6:48 pm

I don't hate being alone (I actually covet my solitude), but sometimes I do think it might be nice to have RL friends for awhile....just to see what it's like. I look at people in restaurants and coffee shops who are with their with friends and they always seem to be having fun. On the other hand, I've been of the impression for years now that it's actually safer for one to be alone.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by LtlPinkCoupe on 15 Oct 2013, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 7:15 pm

No

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2013, 9:24 pm

Alone 90% of the time and love it. And I can't stand people trying to get me unalone.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nikkiDT
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2013, 9:47 pm

silentlyvela wrote:
I like being left alone. I prefer it.

Me too.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 1:37 am

Adamantium wrote:

But it's more complicated. I have a weird sense of place. Some places seem friendly and I am at ease in them. Other places seem malevolent. I can't explain this. But I have been in some of the peaceful places at ease in solitude and suddenly become afraid when I realized other people had arrived in that safe place, making it dangerous. I have even hidden and waited for the interlopers to leave, so I could be alone with the sky and the non-human life beneath it.
WOW! I am so happy you wrote this. I have something very similar to this but it is impossible for me to word it in a way that others can understand. I can relate to this so very much. It is a very strange concept I think but it makes perfect sense to me. I have no idea why I am like this but I am. I am so glad to know that I am no the only one.

Wags, I do like being alone very much but I need to know that certain people I love and trust are close by and accessible. Sometimes I get scared if I don't think the are close by. That is very important to me if that makes sense.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 1:42 am

Opi wrote:
sometimes i certainly get lonely, but the only time i actually get depressed about being alone is when i unconsciously associate it with being worthless or unloveable.
Me too.

Wreck It Ralph

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2013, 3:02 am

WerewolfPoet wrote:
When I first saw the title of this thread, I laughed a little inside-- I find no fault in solitude and have been described by many people as "unsociable."

Similar. A friend of mine said he'd go crazy if stuck by himself in my dorm, as he needs groups and doesn't enjoy himself unless he's in a decent sized groups while going out plaves (I have a 'single' so no one else here; and due to issues with my family I'd rather go to places by myself than be subsumed into BS social dynamics of groups of more than a certain size)

ineptunedude
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Oct 2013, 11:49 pm

There's this worry that we will wake up in old age and realize we regret spending so much time alone. For someone with AS, who is all too familiar with being alone, this can be an especially troubling thought.

At night when most around you are asleep, the thought can take over. Intrinsic nature to most with AS seems to focus inwards. I often encounter the question if I should follow my intrinsic nature. Yet, society will tell you that happiness is found with another.

For me, at this current time, it seems as though I'm seeking to fit within the social norm. That is to be with someone and do all the normal things of a relationship. However, sometimes I wonder if I'm missing my true potential. I think what it would be like to totally give up on meaningful relationships and instead focus my energy towards my interests.

I can't answer this question for you but I can relate with you. I believe even NT people can relate. Thus, the midlife crisis many people experience around age 40 or so. I guess my suggestion is to look deep. remember to come back the question or your decision often as people change. If your analysis is that you need change, then seek it.

Lord_Psych
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Oct 2013, 12:09 am

Solitude is the new 'haven'.

Opi wrote:
sometimes i certainly get lonely, but the only time i actually get depressed about being alone is when i unconsciously associate it with being worthless or unloveable.

I absolutely agree.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2013, 12:30 am

I used to feel lonely/sad/depressed when I was alone at home because it was a painful reminder that I was not liked/loved by anyone. Now I got so used to it that I actually find it nice and peaceful. I'd rather be alone at home and eat, drink, read and sleep.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2013, 11:58 am

Actually if I'm with others, and after a while, start feeling like "extra baggage" (my description, not theirs) is when I feel most alone. I think it just "highlights" my differences and separation.

So I find being "by myself" gives me less of a feeling of loneliness and more of a feeling of "completeness."

den

AspiePride12345
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Oct 2013, 7:53 pm

Depends on the company and my mood. If I'm been out for the day then I need to refuel on my own. I use to really shut myself off from the world though, I use to stay in my bedroom all the time when I lived at home the only times you'd see me is for tea.

My pet hate is when people criticise me wanting my own space like everyone living on their own is some social beacon.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2013, 10:17 pm

Sometimes, but I usually like being alone.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Oct 2013, 12:21 am

I wish I had a real companion to share my life with while at the same time hating being around people I don't like.

StillSwimming
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2013, 12:29 am

I would rather be alone than with people who bully or taunt me because I am different.

I could be with lots of people and yet feel utterly alone, like an invisible person.

On the other hand, I could be alone and not feel lonely at all when I am focusing on my interests or listening to music.