Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 2:23 am

FishStickNick wrote:
I am in a near-constant state of motion. Leg-bouncing and shaking (up/down and side-to-side), pacing, sometims rocking, picking at my skin, playing with my hair, fiddling with objects, talking to myself (sometimes in a delayed-echoailiac manner) are a few of the stims that come to mind. I don't hand-flap, but I have some stims that involve moving my entire arm in a flapping manner (think of a bird flapping its wings).

Are you SURE you don't hand-flap? I didn't think I did either. But one day I tasted something that turned out to be horribly nasty, and I started flapping while going "Euw! Euw! Euw!". My mother, without saying a word, imitated my flapping. I've noticed I've done it several times since then. It's usually when something extreme shocks my senses -- fear, excitement, joy, or the aforementioned nasty food.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 2:33 am

Webalina wrote:
FishStickNick wrote:
I am in a near-constant state of motion. Leg-bouncing and shaking (up/down and side-to-side), pacing, sometims rocking, picking at my skin, playing with my hair, fiddling with objects, talking to myself (sometimes in a delayed-echoailiac manner) are a few of the stims that come to mind. I don't hand-flap, but I have some stims that involve moving my entire arm in a flapping manner (think of a bird flapping its wings).

Are you SURE you don't hand-flap? I didn't think I did either. But one day I tasted something that turned out to be horribly nasty, and I started flapping while going "Euw! Euw! Euw!". My mother, without saying a word, imitated my flapping. I've noticed I've done it several times since then. It's usually when something extreme shocks my senses -- fear, excitement, joy, or the aforementioned nasty food.

I don't think I do. But then again, I didn't think I rocked until after I learned more about AS. I remember asking someone if I always rocked; his response: "Yes. When you're panicked."

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 3:51 am

I have had several ways of stimming in the past but now I use a 95cm Yoga ball and that alone take care of 90% of my stimming needs. All you have to do is learn to balance on it while bouncing on it and you're set. What makes doing this so great for stimming is you have to move/flap your hands and arms around rapidly to keep your balance.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 4:24 am

Rocking (not much), leg bouncing, rubbing hands, sometimes rubbing skin, rubbing fingetips with thumb. Pacing must be a stim too. I talk a lot to myself, and especially energetic when in distress.

Last edited by Jensen on 02 Dec 2013, 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 2:49 pm

I've realized recently that I stim all the time, in all sorts of ways (talking to myself, brushing back my hair with my fingers, scratching, rubbing, stretching, moving around, playing with objects, messing with my clothing, picking nose & ears, occasional rocking and/or hand flapping if I'm really agitated, moving my eyes to make light trails into shapes, numbers, and letters, some less acceptable things I don't want to discuss here, etc.), and that I've learned to usually only do the less socially acceptable methods in private, except talking to myself, which I do all the time, even walking down the street, which I guess makes me look a little crazy, but whatever.
I try not to do it if there are other people around, but sometimes I'm so caught up in the conversation I'm having with myself that I don't notice and shut up until it's too late.
I always talk to myself and stim in other ways when I'm working, even if there are other people around.

Yay, stimming!

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 5:39 pm

Hand flapping and head hitting for me.

leafplant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2013, 6:08 pm

i do the 'yay' hand wave when I am excited and jump up and down. which at my age is really not on but I can't seem to help it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 12:41 am

I was not really that aware of what a stim was till a few years ago.Ive always ran my fingers through my hair and twisted it,as long as I can remember.I liked to also pull the soft fringe on the couch through my fingers,I'd lay there and do this when I was a toddler.When I couldn't do this in school I tapped my fingers on the desk,wiggled my toes in my shoes,bit my finger nails,and became a compulsive doodler.When standing in line I'd sort of twist pack and forth and swing my arms from side to side,some times with a finger snapping and hitting my hands together.I never really thought about the fact that other kids didn't do this.One thing that helped was playing Cats cradle with string.It was kind of a fad,all the kids had strings around their necks.I crack my knuckles,fool with my fingernails,twirl pencils,bounce my leg,shake my foot,And if I get an extreme anxiety attack my hands do a side to side jerk.I suppose it is a type of flap.

DimiLouise
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2013, 2:35 am

I rock back and forth if I am engaged in some thought or activity and often don't notice how violently I am rocking until people are staring at me.

I also sometimes talk or hum to myself which makes me sound like a crazy person. It's like an intense inner dialogue goes on in my head and then I say something random out loud (hand gestures included) like "no you wouldn't do that why would you do that, that wouldn't make sense hahaha I get it now" Just really weird random things like that.

Tazweteq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Dec 2013, 3:06 am

I still flap my hands and bounce around like pinkie pie.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 12:49 pm

Why do some people call it stemming?

Bluth
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2013, 3:28 pm

Leg bouncing, a weird cross between actual whistling and blowing air out of my mouth and bouncing balls. Especially bouncing ballls, I love those :)

ExceladonCity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2013, 5:52 pm

I'm not diagnosed, but I've noticed myself these alot, especially when I'm at work:

-Snapping when I'm walking. It just happens and I tend to do it in the rhythm of my footsteps.
-Bouncing my right leg up and down rapidly.
-Bouncing on my toes.
-Tapping my fingers.
-Drumming on objects.
-Clicking pens rapidly.
-Folding paper. I wasn't aware of my paper folding habit until an old friend pointed it out.
-Making shapes with my hands.
-Wiggling my fingers when I'm about to type and can't remember what I was going to type.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2013, 2:01 pm

- I like to rock back and forth.

- I tend to bounce back and forth if I'm sitting down and see something I enjoy (I do this a lot when watching my favorite animated movies). :D

- I tend to pick at my nail cuticles a lot.

- I like having a small plushie/toy to hold in social situations or when I'm anxious.

- I like looking at pictures of my favorite characters.

- I like listening to the same song on repeat.

- I like rubbing this particular section of my stuffed dolphin's tail.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

jcq126
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2013, 2:09 pm

Willard wrote:
A Stim (sterotypy) is a repetitive movement done to offset autistic anxiety (you may not be consciously aware of it, if you've lived with it all your life, but autistic people are in a near constant state of anxiety). Rocking, Swaying, Leg bouncing, hand flapping - all stims. Done because they are soothing.

Hair twirling, nail biting, etc - fidgits, not stims. They may also occur due to anxiety, but are not particularly soothing to the nervous system.

Just because something can be said to be technically "self stimulating" does not necessarily qualify it as a 'stim' in clinical terms.

THANK YOU! I get so annoyed when I hear NT people be like "omg I bite my nails when I'm nervous, maybe I have what you have!! !" Jesus Christ that pisses me off. I do the same stim everytime. I bounce my right leg up and down very intensely to calm myself down if I'm in public, and if I'm having a meltdown and run away into a closed room or something I cover my face with both hands and bounce my right leg up and down while muttering to myself calm down calm down calm down. Having to stim is hell.

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2013, 2:43 pm

By order of preference:

1. Rocking slightly but rhythmically. Almost at any time I am sitting I am rocking.
2. Swaying. If I am standing, I sway.
3. Clenching muscles. When walking I usually have my hands clenching and releasing in firsts. I also have the T-Rex arm thing happen as a result of bicep clenching. I clench my calf muscles at night in bed to get to sleep by pressing my toes on the headboard.
4. Finger tapping. Just my right index finger and usually when trying to listen to someone while sitting at my desk. I hate it because they think I am in a hurry but I am actually using it to stay focused on what they are saying. Also do it if I am working out a trouble in my head.
5. Humming. I do this if I get too stressed and start to go into meltdown.
6. Teeth clenching.