Having Autism is Like Watching a Poorly Dubbed Movie?? WTF?

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 1:23 am

Here is the paper abstract:

Quote:
The new DSM-5 diagnostic criteria for autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) include sensory disturbances in addition to the well-established language, communication, and social deficits. One sensory disturbance seen in ASD is an impaired ability to integrate multisensory information into a unified percept. This may arise from an underlying impairment in which individuals with ASD have difficulty perceiving the temporal relationship between cross-modal inputs, an important cue for multisensory integration. Such impairments in multisensory processing may cascade into higher-level deficits, impairing day-to-day functioning on tasks, such as speech perception. To investigate multisensory temporal processing deficits in ASD and their links to speech processing, the current study mapped performance on a number of multisensory temporal tasks (with both simple and complex stimuli) onto the ability of individuals with ASD to perceptually bind audiovisual speech signals. High-functioning children with ASD were compared with a group of typically developing children. Performance on the multisensory temporal tasks varied with stimulus complexity for both groups; less precise temporal processing was observed with increasing stimulus complexity. Notably, individuals with ASD showed a speech-specific deficit in multisensory temporal processing. Most importantly, the strength of perceptual binding of audiovisual speech observed in individuals with ASD was strongly related to their low-level multisensory temporal processing abilities. Collectively, the results represent the first to illustrate links between multisensory temporal function and speech processing in ASD, strongly suggesting that deficits in low-level sensory processing may cascade into higher-order domains, such as language and communication.

Skimming the paper, what the study mainly found was lesser audiovisual speech integration in ASD (McGurk effect) with no difference between ASD and NT for multisensory integration of non-speech audiovisual stimuli.

The participants in the study were HFA children/teenagers, and doing the tasks for data in numbers is bester to get some understanding of multisensory integration in ASD than asking HFA adults questions about their sensory perceptions, which results in people reporting all kinds of things that may or may not answer the questions. I don't think that I know what are my multisensory integrations on the order of hundreds of milliseconds.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 1:31 am

GregCav wrote:
Quote:
What exactly a person with autism experiences on a daily basis also remains a bit of a mystery.

These people are our profesional researchers? They are lazy and stupid, truely.
I know. You'd think they would consider asking us. But apparently that's too difficult for their oh-so-scientific selves to do.

The autistic mind *is* a bit of a mystery, I suppose; but only as much as the neurotypical mind is. After all, NTs don't know everything going on in their brains, either. Most mental activity is unconscious; I don't consider that to be a mystery that's specific to autistics.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 1:37 am

Here is youtube video of one of the non-speech tasks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3Z1cxA2Tp0

Look at the video straight forward, then turn your head to one side and keep the video in peripheral vision.

Overall, the conclusions of the paper make sense about the multisensory speech integration. It's just the popsci article that is idiotic.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Jan 2014, 2:05 am

So people watch that and say the disk appeared twice because of two beeps when it flashes once?

Interesting.

A McGurk effect video with verbal stuff:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0[/youtube]

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 2:10 am

That's crazy, it almost makes me feel like they're lying and he's saying Faa Faa Faa, but I guess they're not.
It's pretty weird when they TELL you the misconception, then you still keep hearing it.

But the good thing is, I guess we're all lip readers!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Jan 2014, 2:15 am

wozeree wrote:
That's crazy, it almost makes me feel like they're lying and he's saying Faa Faa Faa, but I guess they're not.
It's pretty weird when they TELL you the misconception, then you still keep hearing it.

Apparently if you look away or close your eyes you'll hear the correct sound.

Here's an older thread about the McGurk Effect:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp4039691.html

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 2:33 am

Hmmm, I suddenly have a desire to watch a poorly dubbed foreign movie.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 2:36 am

Verdandi wrote:
wozeree wrote:

I was alternating between open and closed eyes and the sound kept switching accordingly. WTH are our brains doing?

Sare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Jan 2014, 2:48 am

I hear 'bah' every time when watching that clip.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:01 am

wozeree wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
wozeree wrote:

I was alternating between open and closed eyes and the sound kept switching accordingly. WTH are our brains doing?

Sensory integration. What you hear is not just what you hear but what you see (and vice versa). This is why people with sensory integration/processing issues, like autistic people, don't always experience these the way most people do.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 3:02 am

btbnnyr wrote:

Some of the Heisei-era Godzilla films are great for this.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 8:58 am

I find the mcgurk effect a really interesting example every time it comes up. And yes it didn't always with on puerile with sensory processing issues. I've had discussions with people about this before. It doesn't work on me (generally).

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jan 2014, 10:06 am

I read that article too. My response was also, "wtf!?"
My experience is more like 100 TVs on at once too, with little faeries dancing around them on unicycles and decorating everything with tinsel.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 10:20 am

I saw that story on TV last night.

They did say it was SOME autistics who have that effect.

But still its odd to me.

They did have a 10 year old boy with aspergers (not LFA, but aspergers) speak on camera, and his mom speak on camera about how 'he probably has trouble understanding what I say" in a convincing way. But then they showed a film out of synch (they did not use the 'poorly dubbed foriegn movie" metaphor, but the poorly synched your own language move metaphor) to drive the viewer nuts (succeeded with me).

I dont experience reality that way myself. Maybe I did as a kid and unconsciously got used to it. But I doubt it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 10:27 am

Verdandi wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

Some of the Heisei-era Godzilla films are great for this.

That. Or any Asian martial arts movie.

Its not always the fault of the movie dubbers. Some things just take longer to say in some languages than in others. Like when one east asian gang leader brandishes his fists and says to the other gangleader "Don't fxxk with me!" his lips will keep moving for another five seconds without producing any sound because- the Cantonese equivalent of "dont fxxk with me" just takes longer to than that American English idiom.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2014, 12:56 pm

I guess I am probably one of those who are more mild on the spectrum but the poorly dubbed foreign film metaphor is actually quite accurate for me. My sensory issues are very mild in comparison to most on the spectrum. The only time sensory issues really bother my concentration is in very loud, lot of people enviorenments. Of course it doesnt help that my ear is started to ring.