what is the reason that we like walking on our toes?

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Makar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2014, 3:31 pm

I've walked on my toes for my entire life. I don't do it all of the time as an adult. I try not to do it in public and I'm much less likely to do it when wearing shoes. When I'm home though I almost always walk on my toes. Also when I pace I always do it.

I think I do it because I don't like the feeling of the floor on my feet, the soft middle part of my foot especially. It feels natural to me and I do it without thinking about it. I like the way it makes my muscles feel, I think I'm a bit sensory seeking in that regard. I also feel very clumsy when walking normally and I lose my balance or run into things more often.

I've also noticed that I have a very difficult time breaking childhood habits (like nail biting) and I suspect this is just another thing I never stopped doing.

I think most children realize "this habit I have is unacceptable and causes my peers to reject me, so I should stop" when they do weird or unacceptable things. I think I was too oblivious to get that message.

I say this because toewalking is not that uncommon in children but they usually stop before the age of 5. It's possible some stop because it's an abnormal behavior that their peers do not engage in and they pick up on that and conform.

I'm just speculating though, I could be completely wrong.

Edit: I can't stand to walk on the heels of my feet exclusively and when I try I lose my balance

Edit again: Articles I'm reading suggest it has to do with dysfunctional vestibular system or visual-vestibular coordination problems in people with ASD's.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2014, 4:15 pm

I never thought about it back when I did it. I think I stopped when I was around 12. Looking back at it, I think I did it because it made me feel more agile and precise when walking. I miss being able to do it!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2014, 5:46 pm

I took up tippy toe walking to sneak around obnoxious housemates, thus ensuring more alone time.

kazma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2014, 6:55 pm

i don't know what the reason is but iv always done it and i still do it especially when im barefoot

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 9:02 am

Precision, comfort, quiet.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 9:11 am

If I tried walking on tip toes i would fall down a lot more than I do already :oops:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 10:21 am

I walked on my toes when I was little but I was taught to walk properly later on. I never knew why I toe walked though.

Wreck It Ralph

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 10:21 am

I picked this habit up as a child, and I still do this sometimes, doing it more often at home than at work to avoid awkward situations. I do it to be quiet and to look taller.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2014, 10:29 am

felinesaresuperior wrote:
and does anyone else enjoy walking on the heels of his shoes? it's nice, but it doesnt beat toe-walking. what is the reason for this? hyperactivity?
can you imagine the footprints you'd leave in the sand on the beach? smaller but deeper, with the toes more pronounced.

I have never done it, but it would in fact be natural considering people with Aspergers Syndrome have cat-like brains (according to me). I think the desire stems from there.

Quote:
Cats are digitigrade mammals, meaning they do, in fact, walk on their toes.

Quote:
With less foot touching the surface, your cat experiences less friction and conserves more upward energy. Cats and other digitigrade animals therefore tend to be very fast runners, according to Jinny Johnson and John Burton, authors of the book Animal Tracks and Signs.

Source

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2014, 5:09 pm

Toe-walking makes it easier for me to walk up and down the stairs. Sometimes, I stand on my toes when I look around (it makes me feel like a meerkat, though).

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 4:17 am

I enjoy it, it makes me feel light and bouncy, less "pinned to the ground" as it were.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2014, 5:08 am

I walk on my toes sometimes, usually when I'm trying to step quietly or just reach high objects, though sometimes I just do it because I'm bored and it feels kind of cool.

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

19 Jan 2014, 2:00 pm

I do find myself standing on my toes often, I don't know why I like to do it but I find myself doing it without thinking about it which I've tried to stop because it's hard on my feet.

Perkulator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2014, 3:42 am

I have always walked on my toes because it is more comfortable and quieter. When I walk on my heels I go off balance and run into things like walls, and my heels hurt. I can also move faster when I walk on my toes.

Perkulator
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jan 2014, 3:42 am

I have always walked on my toes because it is more comfortable and quieter. When I walk on my heels I go off balance and run into things like walls, and my heels hurt. I can also move faster when I walk on my toes.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2014, 4:04 am

I just do. Not exclusively. But I guess I do feel a bit more agile. I have noticed if people cut in front of me on foot and I have to step back I'll immediately go on my toes without even thinking of it.