The Value of Meeting Other Autistic People

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2014, 8:20 pm

OnPorpoise wrote:
perpetual_padawan wrote:
I was just about to post to you to look I too AANE. They have social events though I haven't been to any. Boston can be a very difficult/cold place to live.
I like the support group I'm in, though the social events seem to attract mainly a young crowd (under 30s). But that's probably because the majority of those diagnosed are younger. A lot of older folk like me didn't know about Asperger's when we were younger and probably a lot of the older Aspies have made lives/families for themselves and don't bother to check out AANE's services unless they have children on the spectrum.

AANE has some good workshops and three or four conferences every year.

What makes you think Boston is a difficult place to live? I've lived in MA my whole life, so I can't make comparisons with other states or cities. I'm pretty isolated here, and that's becoming hard, but it's because of choices made when I was younger.

I need to try and get involved in the community and see if I can make friends with others with Autism. I live on the Cape now, so I'm kind of far from everything which makes me feel profoundly isolated, even though they do have stuff in Plymouth. Then, when I think about going to the events, I get panic attacks because I've always had such a hard time with social interactions. I also an tentative, because I'm not formally diagnosed with ASD, so maybe I might not be welcomed there. I've dealt with so much rejection in my life, that I feel that I need to feel welcome in order to really be comfortable in a social situation, and since I have a terrible time reading body language and other social clues, that necessity is fleeting.

I'm originally from the west coast. I know people over here from CA, and they outright hate it here. As in H-A-T-E it. I'm more torn, but Massachusetts has the nickname Massholes for a reason. People here tend to be cold, rude, and not very inviting. While I like that attitude to a degree (in CA it's the opposite, people act nice and friendly, yet they don't care about you at all), it can make it really hard to meet people. Put it this way; the friends/acquaintances I've made in my life made me their friends, not the other way around, and since people here tend to stay to themselves, and don't inviting, it basically closes the door to friendship to me.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 10:30 pm

I find that there's little value in meeting people in general.

MOWHAWK1982
Raven
Raven

28 May 2014, 6:41 am

Jensen wrote:
Hooraydiation. There are courses on how to develop your social skills. If there is an autism centre within reach, they may have some courses. It could help you, - and you would meet others with the same difficulties.
Another aspie who confuses NT social skills with aspie social skills. :lol:

I am an extremist among those wimpy conformists which IMHO characterizes the majority of aspies. As a wimpy non-conformist, voluntarist and someone who embraces the existence as an aspie it is hard to find a non-religious and non-statist aspie. :? I am not an actor, so the price for my sanity is measured in the impairment in the interactions with normal people. It is good enough for running erands, doing shopping etc. I prefer physical solitude over the solitude of mind. My mind is everywhere and draws conclusions based on objective truth, occasionally distorted by emotions. :roll:

Aspies are as individual as can be which is a recipe for conflicts. :(

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 6:58 am

MOWHAWK1982 wrote:
Jensen wrote:
Hooraydiation. There are courses on how to develop your social skills. If there is an autism centre within reach, they may have some courses. It could help you, - and you would meet others with the same difficulties.
Another aspie who confuses NT social skills with aspie social skills. :lol:

Yeah :lol: It sounded sort of naive, and it was, - but what is aspie social skills then?
A little confused here, because I am still trying to separate the NT views, I learned, from my natural way of reacting and looking at things, and I have changed.
I am not so nervously watching out for signs, that I might have missed a cue, forgot to respond with facial expressions and things like that anymore. People have been pissed at me because I overdid it. Neurotic, I suppose.