Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 11:06 am

I preferred uniforms when I was in school purely because it stopped people from having another reason to pick on me or others, if people wear their own clothes people will pick up on if, you are not very well off or have an unusual taste in clothes and they will pick on you over it.

the stress of trying to work out what clothes would not draw attention to myself would cause too much stress.

having said that when I got to college I preferred wearing my own clothes because students were no longer childish enough to pick on you for your clothes.

I hated ties, loved blazers because you get to put stuff you need in the pockets so you don't lose things, I never wore a skirt I don't feel comfortable in them but I was fine with the school trousers.

hated P.E shorts, made my feel self conscious.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm

I don't like any tight clothing, but if the uniform is comfortable with a good fabric that doesn't make me itch every 10 seconds, then I'm usually fine. In fact, I actually prefer comfortable formal wear above my usual shorts and a tee-shirt as long as the weather is suitable for it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:29 pm

Who doesn't?

Some uniforms are OK, if they are just like the casual clothes I would normally wear. I hate wearing anything with buttons on (except for trousers). If it's a jacket or a coat, it has to have a zip or poppers. I would hate to work somewhere where I have to wear things with buttons.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind wearing a shirt with a tie, but in my pathetic culture women don't wear ties.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:56 pm

Yes. I prefer jeans and t-shirts. However, I don't like tennis shoes (sneakers). I don't like tying things. I like to be able to slip them on and off easily at my desk.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 3:58 pm

I most enjoy wearing my birthday suit. if I have to augment that, it must be loose-fitting, thin and breathable.

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Mar 2014, 6:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I hate wearing anything with buttons on (except for trousers). If it's a jacket or a coat, it has to have a zip or poppers. I would hate to work somewhere where I have to wear things with buttons.

I have something approaching a phobia of buttons. I can cope with big ones, like on coats, or metal ones, like on jeans, but the little ones on shirts, ugh. It's apparently not even that uncommon: Understanding the Fear of Buttons

Having to work somewhere where I had to wear a uniform with buttons is a nightmare of mine. Which is, incidentally, another reason why polo shirts should not be allowed to exist.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 8:15 pm

I sort of wear a personal uniform, meaning I wear different colors of the same exact shirts and pants everyday. And it's a limited amount of colors. Usually black, navy blue and gray. And I hate wearing shorts even though I live in a hot desert. But if I have to wear a suit and dress shoes it is torture to me. I know a lot of UK kids online that have to wear school uniforms and I think I would hate that.

Interesting side note. Steve Jobs wore the same exact black shirt, blue jeans and tennis shoes every single day of his life for like 25 years. He had hundreds of the same exact shirt and jeans. That was his entire wardrobe unless he was forced to wear a suit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 8:41 pm

when I go out in public I can be found in the summer wearing tan thin fabric slacks and a gray tanktop, with hair tucked in ponytail and raybans. in the winter, add windbreaker and gloves.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 9:09 pm

I had to wear a uniform when I work at McDonnalds and except for the itch around the whist line. I didn't bothered me at all.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 9:20 pm

I've never had a job for which I had to wear a uniform. At the job I just started I have a magnetic badge that says "Toronto Public Library staff "and I love wearing it. My job is just to shelve books for a few hours two night a week but I love the library and I've been going to the TPL since I was a child so I don't mind being branded a TPL staff member. :lol:

AnnabelleLee
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Mar 2014, 11:53 pm

Uniforms usually cause a sensory problem for me. Tight collars, tags and stiff materials. Which most uniforms are made of. I too, hate the polo shirt. I call any mandatory work uniform a "monkey suit". Another thing I don't like about uniforms is that one of their functions is to make a person conform, and to "know their place". I hate monkey suits.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 12:59 am

For a number of years, I attended schools that required uniforms, and I didn't mind them that much, especially since the shirts we had to wear were made out of fabric that felt "okay" and not papery, lacy or scratchy. I was also allowed to wear uniform shorts and pants from elementary school up till eighth grade, but when I got to high school I had to wear a skirt. I didn't even mind that too much, because the shirts were still comfortable, and even the skirts were okay - I just didn't like how they didn't offer my legs any protection in the winter months, and they'd always get cold. We were allowed to wear pajama pants under our skirts when school was over for the day, though, so that was okay.

I also kind of liked knowing what I'd wear every morning (made mornings go a lot faster when I'd otherwise be deciding what to wear-not that I agonize over that too much in the first place; I usually just wear the first thing I see when I open my drawers :lol: ) and no one ever got offended or felt bad because they didn't have or were unable to afford items that were "cool" or that everyone else was wearing. It leveled the playing field for everyone, you might say - you know, no one had more "swag" to show off than anyone else.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 1:20 am

I don't much care what I'm wearing, so long as it's reasonably comfortable and appropriate for the weather and situation. When I joined the Navy I thought I'd hate the mandatory conformity, but that wasn't a problem after all. Once I learned the written and unwritten rules of the uniform, it was nice not having to think about what to wear every day. Just grab the clean stuff from the top of the stack and go.

ThorAlex
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2014, 9:53 am

I too liked the uniform in the navy. the work uniform had an awesome set of pants, really comfortable, durable and very practical. The shirt was fine, but given she choice i preferred the pullover, good thing for me my office tended to get chilly. Field uniform was the old style and rather good, the modern gore-tex uniform had a good jacket but pants sucked. I don't usually have sensory issues with clothes as long as they feel relatively loose. Tight clothes are a no go for me but that is usually fixed by going up a size or two, as i did back when I worked at a supermarket. Other than that we don't have uniforms in school here, nor do most businesses require them unless you interact with customers or need it for safety reasons or similar. First day at my current workplace my boss showed up in green cargo pants and a pink shirt... But i work in the forest industry so a suit would look rather out of place :P

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 1:30 pm

I like having a uniform because I don't have to think about what to wear. I'm lucky that all the uniforms I've ever been asked to wear have involved cotton shirts. I would go crazy if I had to wear a man made fibre shirt. And because I sweat alot I would be really stinky too. I look at the uniforms people wear at the bank and think, "I'm never working in a bank." I suppose polyester and the like lasts longer than cotton, but it feels disgusting against my skin.

Uniforms tend to be badly shaped and feature ugly patterns too. Why do big businesses want their staff, their representatives, to look so awful? I don't get it.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Mar 2014, 8:46 pm

The closest uniforms come into my life is on those days when we teachers are encouraged to wear t-shirts with a school logo or other printed logo. I often don't join in because I don't feel much like "the in-crowd" anyway, so why bother? We also have these "positive" logo t-shirts we are suppose to wear on certain days. I am a positive teacher whose students enjoy the classes I work with. But after having been forced from one teaching position I felt comfortable with and having budget cuts remove me from a position I paid $10,000 to get a degree to teach (which only lasted a few years), it's hard to be positive. It's also hard to be positive when I am often pulled from my duties to cover another teacher's classes. It's also hard to be positive when my office is a prison cell sized janitor's closet with no windows and no telephone. But yes, I leave a positive influence on the students I work with. And yes, the students I work with learn from me. I know what I am doing, and I do it well. But why I am the only teacher (I have an office rather than a regular classroom) without the same security lock on his door (in case of a person entering our school to assault us) in the building? So I don't really feel like I fit in although I have been in this school district for close to 30 years. Since being forced into this new teaching assignment, I have developed high blood pressure and more severe anxiety issues. I now take two blood pressure medicines and anxiety medication (costing me about $60 a month). I feel alone, so I often do not dress the same as the others on these days.