Autistic writing skills and quality of communications on WP.

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 10:13 am

I think my writing skills suck compared to the rest of the forum.

I have to write and re-write my posts, then most of the time, I reread what I intend to post, I don't click Submit because it sucks so bad, or maybe I will offend someone.

Always was dinged from grade school to graduate school on problems with incoherency.

HarmonySeptember
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2014, 1:28 pm

I have been told that my writing is easy to understand and that I write with great grammar; however, I know that I struggle a little bit with spelling.

I have also found myself overusing words, and going off of the subject.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 1:33 pm

iammaz wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
... If you think about it, punctuation is very flexible and forgiving and if you ask me. I rather see it improperly use then to not see it used at all...

Unless you write code. Then you add or forget one little semi-colon and the whole lot gets bent out of shape.
;)

Ya! tell me about it. Those damn compilers will beat you mercilessly over the head about it too.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 1:59 pm

SoftwareEngineer wrote:
High-functioning autistics are well known for writing skills. I've noticed virtually everyone on this site, regardless of national origin or primary language, writes very well. Being honest, I read some of the best written communications on this site - better than most commercial news sites. Even when someone lividely ridicules me or my opinions, I generally appreciate the technical quality of their writing. Does anyone else make the same observation?

I think that one of the main reasons that HFA's have excellent writing skills is because it's one of are primary modes of communication. Think about it. Are social skills pretty much suck and since we struggle with direct interpersonal communication. Communicating in writing just makes sense. Plus, you don't need to use body language in writing as well which is a big, big, plus for any HFA person.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 2:10 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
SoftwareEngineer wrote:
High-functioning autistics are well known for writing skills. I've noticed virtually everyone on this site, regardless of national origin or primary language, writes very well. Being honest, I read some of the best written communications on this site - better than most commercial news sites. Even when someone lividely ridicules me or my opinions, I generally appreciate the technical quality of their writing. Does anyone else make the same observation?

I think that one of the main reasons that HFA's have excellent writing skills is because it's one of are primary modes of communication. Think about it. Are social skills pretty much suck and since we struggle with direct interpersonal communication. Communicating in writing just makes sense. Plus, you don't need to use body language in writing as well which is a big, big, plus for any HFA person.

Exactly.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:12 pm

Bumping-up old discussion thread - as the Autism Spectrum often presents challenges regarding both written, and verbal expression (see LINK)- even here on WP.

LINK: Description on Wernicke's Aphasia: https://www.aphasia.com/aphasia-resourc ... wernickes/

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:18 pm

I do not use a lot of fancy words and I sometimes do not spell words right, but I do write lots of things on here and people do read it, so it must work?
Not everyone agrees with what I write and I don't disslike those who have different oppinions. I do write lots about the same things if they are on my mind though and write from different angles about the same thing.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:33 pm

Personally, I've been seeking guidance here on WP regarding the development of successful AS/NT relationships e.g., "specific icebreakers of sorts" to encourage friendships. Yet, I must admit, I'm stunned by the lack of feedback here on WP - where there's been ample discussion on AS/NT relationships.

The proverb, "Don't cast pearls before swine" comes to mind!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 9:47 pm

I suppose my writing is adequate. :nerdy:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2021, 10:00 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Personally, I've been seeking guidance here on WP regarding the development of successful AS/NT relationships e.g., "specific icebreakers of sorts" to encourage friendships. Yet, I must admit, I'm stunned by the lack of feedback here on WP - where there's been ample discussion on AS/NT relationships.

It can work well. My parents. It is likely that my Mum is on the spectrum if I am. My Dad was the opposite as I used to marvel how he would get on with people soo well. It was as if they were family and yet they would be strangers. I would be too shy or nurvous and I would not be invitied in, but my Dad would somehow be confident and say the right things and somehow connect with people.

My Mum is more like me but she does have friends... I have the odd one or two friends, but she has a good few more. But she relied on my Dad for the introductions, as like me, we tend to be shy.
Since my Dad died things have been different because he was a bit of a subdued extrovert, and my Mum was a bit on the side of an introvert that would use my Dads extrovertedness as a back up?
My Dad was never fully extroverted.

But my point is, that my parents made an ideal couple and an ideal team because they compliamented each other because of their differences, they covered each others weaknesses with their strengts if that makes sense?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 1:31 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:

I'm in an AS/ND marriage. We met when we were 42 and married when we were 45. She was diagnosed ADHD at an early age and I was diagnosed ASD-1 at 64.

I guess every relationship is different but an important ingredient in ours, that allowed the relationship to form and persist, is: humor.

With hindsight I know I was awkward in interpersonal interactions, and I don't mean just with my bride. Over the years I've grown a dry humor which I use to lubricate things past my social awkwardness. I am certain humor helped us.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 6:31 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Bumping-up old discussion thread - as the Autism Spectrum often presents challenges regarding both written, and verbal expression (see LINK)- even here on WP.

LINK: Description on Wernicke's Aphasia: https://www.aphasia.com/aphasia-resourc ... wernickes/

Thank-you for your responses.

Difficulties with both written, and verbal communications presents further challenges for those concerned with the Autism Spectrum. Enclosed LINK offers ideas on what what might just "break the ice" and prove helpful:

LINK: 'Reassessing AS/NT Friendships'
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=395386

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Mar 2021, 6:44 pm

Well first off this is a forum. I think forums in general have higher standards for written communication than, say, a Discord server. Simply because the discussions move a little slower, it's more like writing a letter than texting. But Wrong Planet users tend to be up there, certainly better than the Bodybuilding.com forums. Personally I was always a good reader/writer, one of my teachers growing up even accused me of not writing one of my essays, not kidding. I think I abuse commas and create run-on sentences, but that's how I organize my thoughts. It's easier to communicate in writing, you can take the time to think about what you're trying to say. That's something that causes me to pause and hesitate quite a bit in the real world.

Paleonerd21
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Aug 2023, 1:15 am

I tend to write in a formal manner in general. I don’t typically use slang or abbreviations in the way most people do online and in texts. If their spelling is not correct I will get annoyed. For example, u instead of you is irritating to me. “Why can’t people spell words correctly?”, I think to myself in those situations.