Page 2 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 5:51 pm

Maybe it's the number 8 represented as seen through the eyes of a synesthete?

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 6:06 pm

Everyone has schizophrenia? Okay this discussion has gone off its rails. Its shamefull that everyone with "a little bit of ocd" will go *boo hoo* I has a little bit of ocd...feel sorry for me *boo hoo* and they will all act like attention whores and think they are special. Cause you know its cool to have a little bit of mental disorder.

Real OCD is a chronic f*****g nightmare.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 7:13 pm

Dreycrux wrote:
Gay autistic pride?

Ick.

Let's just get away from the whole "pride" nonsense.

Awareness is one thing, "pride" just has an ugly ring to it.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 7:54 pm

I actually like the different colored puzzle one better. I guess I just find it more visually appealing or something. Or it could just have something to do with the fact that I absolutely LOVE jigsaw puzzles.

EDIT:
I like autism pride. It's sort of a long story, but it's like Deaf pride for me. At the beginning of last school year I couldn't stand the word autistic. It felt like I was defining myself by something really negative that was something that separated me from people. But then I started taking American Sign Language with a Deaf instructor and I gradually and unconsciously changed how I felt about autism.

Deaf with a capital "D" does not refer to deaf, the condition where someone can't hear. People who are Deaf don't look at their deafness as a disability, but instead as a way of experiencing the world. There is a Deaf culture that has its own language and customs. The Deaf are united by the common experience of being deaf. It's not like the Deaf ignore the struggles and difficulties of being deaf, they just don't let that part define them. And they are proud of their differences. They take pride in who they are and in how they experience the world.

So gradually throughout these last two semesters of taking ASL and learning about Deaf culture, my view of my own autism changed. I don't let the negative parts of autism define who I am. But I now treasure the positive parts. I have a different way of viewing the world and a different way of thinking. Autism is not just a disability for me. It is the way I experience and process the world. And I am autistic.

Last edited by ImeldaJace on 18 May 2014, 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 8:02 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Dreycrux wrote:
Gay autistic pride?

Ick.

Let's just get away from the whole "pride" nonsense.

Awareness is one thing, "pride" just has an ugly ring to it.

Lol... yeah "pride" as if we face any sort of serious oppression.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 8:08 pm

Uhg even awareness makes me shudder. Let's make world aware that this disorder exists for some unspecified attention seeking reason cause yeaah...everyone MUST KNOW.

Its like ohhhhhhkay we get it some people have autism what else is new? Can I get back to my life now?

I'm going to run around with autism pride written on my shirt and start sh*****g those rainbows.

Last edited by Dreycrux on 18 May 2014, 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2014, 8:25 pm

I like the idea of the infinity symbol but doesn't it look like youve drawn on breasts when worn as a logo on a tshirt? I suppose it depends on the size of the logo but you'd have to be careful x

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 8:31 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Waterfalls wrote:
One thing that I wonder though is whether there is a spectrum with a cutoff somewhere between normal and not. Like high blood pressure, the cutoff for which has and can change. Or whether it is discrete rather than a spectrum condition.

it depends on own personal beliefs.
many people believe there is an infinite spectrum but theyre including everyone under that label from those who have one or two traits to profoundly affected individuals.

The infinate spectrum does not really make sense, I mean if someone has one or two traits they are not on the autism spectrum....they have to have enough traits to warrent a diagnoses otherwise that defeats the purpose of distinguishing between neurotypicals and autistics at all. So if that is what its supposed to imply I vote they re-tract this autism symbol because that implication bothers me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 8:39 pm

1401b wrote:
Pretty much every disorder except maybe dead, is something that is basically normal that has gone to the extreme.
Meaning, yes, everybody has it (even schizophrenia) in a useful way that maybe fits a bell curve.
As in, perhaps the "normal" version of multiple personalities is that most people have varying attitudes and behaviors.

It is true a lot of disorders are based on 'normal' traits that get out of control more or less....however one has to have enough symptoms and significant impairment in functioning to be diagnosed with a disorder. To claim everyone is a little autistic, schizophrenic, bi-polar ect its just really not fair to people who actually have these disorders....having varying attituedes and behaviors is hardly the same thing as multiple personalities as in the disorder known as Disassociative Identity Disorder.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 11:33 pm

I like the idea of an orange cat for a symbol for us or even better, a gold cat.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 11:59 pm

Was it not the old AFF online group that came up with the use of the infinity sign? The colours
I think are just a leftover from the puzzle design and have been manipulated into many different designs. I imagine the colours still mean the same thing is they did 15-20 years ago when the puzzle came about, or perhaps for no other reason then for continuity.

Dreycrux, I love your answers, they made my day. I agree with most of them.

Last edited by rapidroy on 19 May 2014, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2014, 6:03 am

rapidroy wrote:
Was it not the old AFF online group that came up with the use of the infinity sign? The colours I think are just a leftover from the puzzle design and have been manipulated into many different designs. I imagine the colours still mean the same thing is they did 25-20 years ago when the puzzle came about, or perhaps for no other reason then for continuity.

Dreycrux, I love your answers, they made my day. I agree with most of them.

Thanks for posting, rapidroy, with the new knowledge that Aspies for Freedom was the original creator, I did a new Google search and it was a lot more informative than the last several.

Here's what I found (on a Wikipedia thread):

Quote:
I'm probably far too biased to add a suitable description of this one myself, but I have removed the existing inaccurate explanation of the meaning behind the infinity symbol. There is a post on the AFF forums explaining the symbology behind the infinity symbol, but basically the symbol was originally a snake biting it's own tail in a figure of 8 turned sideways, an "asp snake" to mean "aspie forever", coloured in a spectrum to represent the entire autistic spectrum. At the time it was first designed, it was referred to as the "infinity snake", a term which I still personally identify with.

Here is the post from the forums where I explained this:

Originally, myself, Amy and a few others (hi wolfy) were discussing possible logos. Amy proposed a logo that was positive rather than negative, rather than a "no curebie" logo. I don't recall the full details of the conversation but in summary the initial logo idea was what we called the "infinity snake".

An asp snake (asp for aspie), coloured in the rainbow (spectrum), biting it's own tail to form the infinity sign (aspie/autistic forever). However, the snake concept was lost after a while, the only such logo containing a snake being long-gone, but personally I still think of the infinity sign as the infinity snake. Source: http://www.aspiesforfreedom.com/showthr ... 698&page=1 (requires login)

I will leave it up to someone less biased to edit the article to reflect this.

Gareth Nelson ?Preceding unsigned comment added by 81.174.255.69 (talk) 14:59, 29 January 2011 (UTC)

So now that it's been adopted by the broader movement, I suppose it just means something along the lines of Autistic forever.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 6:08 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
Waterfalls wrote:
One thing that I wonder though is whether there is a spectrum with a cutoff somewhere between normal and not. Like high blood pressure, the cutoff for which has and can change. Or whether it is discrete rather than a spectrum condition.

it depends on own personal beliefs.
many people believe there is an infinite spectrum but theyre including everyone under that label from those who have one or two traits to profoundly affected individuals.

The infinate spectrum does not really make sense, I mean if someone has one or two traits they are not on the autism spectrum....they have to have enough traits to warrent a diagnoses otherwise that defeats the purpose of distinguishing between neurotypicals and autistics at all. So if that is what its supposed to imply I vote they re-tract this autism symbol because that implication bothers me.

totaly agreed sweetleaf, feel like face planting everytime hear someone neurotypicalise the autism spectrum.
if everyone was on the spectrum,we woud all be the majority, the world woud be adapted for us-our likes,needs,difficulties etc we woudnt have as much of a disability if any for many spectrumers.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 6:25 am

I'd like a purple cat.

Wreck It Ralph

BigSister
Toucan
Toucan

19 May 2014, 6:37 am

Answering another question that has popped up in this thread, now that I've answered my own, lol:

Waterfalls wrote:

Many underlying traits are definitely on a spectrum, as is recognized within the autism spectrum, but actually applies outside of it, too.

I'm simplifying here, but the category of people who aren't autistic, yet share several traits, is known as the Broader Autism Phenotype (BAP - yes, I myself at the very least fall into this category). Studies have found that BAP is seen most often in parents who have autistic children and their relatives (which is probably not a surprise to most of you). There are loads of studies on the subject of BAP, but basically some of the defining traits seem to be the use of pragmatic language, rigidity, and aloofness (how the researchers put it, I wouldn't use the word aloof, but simply introvert). Anxiety seems to also be thrown in there. Here's a study for your reading pleasure if you're interested: http://staff.science.uva.nl/~michiell/d ... Al2007.pdf

Note that the study stems back to 2006, so this is something we've known about for a fairly long time which is just starting to hit mainstream awareness.

As a result of the existence of BAP, it seems to me that this really is a spectrum of traits that goes all the way down to what we'd think of as completely neurotypical. At the very least, the categories of traits would be white, grey, and black, instead of simply white and black. That said, that does NOT mean everyone's a little autistic and is NOT intended to diminish what it's like to be autistic. People who are BAP are known as being BAP-y and not as being 'a little autistic' for this reason. It's just some shared subclinical traits, and no one but a blogger would imply it meant anything more than that.

So I guess the answer to your question could be a yes or a no. Everyone, or at least more people than we thought, seems to be part of a spectrum of traits, yes, but it's not a spectrum of autism.

Also, on the topic of people saying everyone's a little autistic, I thought of this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fTBM_3sdwE[/youtube]

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 7:26 am

"I like Autistic people almost as much as I like real people!" LOL!! !! !
"But you have a job, with people, you go, to school with people!"

Those are the best lines in the video!! LOL!! !!

Yeah, classic! Thanks for posting that!

Wreck It Ralph