Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 7:41 am

I did and continue to have an issue with excessive talking. In fact, among my friends, I have been known as "The Chatterbox". I think it's funny because my best friend (also an aspie) was called "The Artist". Again, it's funny because we're both artists, but I guess my talking is the most notable thing about me, heheh.

I made someone laugh the other day because I made a point that I actually plan speeches and lecture about my interests to a non-existent audience in private. He thought I was joking......

Honestly, I don't like the sound of my voice. However, I do like to be very opinionated and to feel like I'm right about something or show off my knowledge about something. I was reading some old IEP reports and apparently, I was so talkative that it was detrimental to learning in a classroom with other kids. I recall not knowing when to stop talking because I always had more to say about an issue.

I did a talk at college in (roughly) February of this year. We had to do a talk on one of our favourite movies (I chose to talk about Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of "A Clockwork Orange"). I think my tutor was dreading my talk because he was very aware of how talkative I can be. We had to make the talk last between exactly 2-3 minutes. I went slightly over the time (though my original idea for the talk could have gone on for 30 minutes, so I was proud of how I did). The main criticsm I got for my talk was that I spoke too fast. However, despite how much I had to simplify my talk, they seemed to be quite impressed with how indepth it was.

As you can tell from this messege, this problem is not limited to excessive talking - I write excessively as well (again, very detrimental to my education).

I suppose I find it difficult to filter out what information is relevent and which information isn't. Maybe your niece has that problem too and that's why she talks so much because she's figured "well, I might as well tell you everything".

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 10:34 am

I think when children are very young, even NT children, talk to themselves a lot. This is their way of working through things and learning communication. Lots of my friends with NT children have told me their kids did this too.