Proposal: include grading of autism in diagnosis.

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Good idea?
Yes 39%  39%  [ 15 ]
No 61%  61%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 38

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 7:14 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
1. a normal life is probably over-rated anyways, who the hell defines that anyways?
2. NT is not autistic, so why would NT be 'red autism' when its not even autism, it is a total lack of autism? Also considering having severe autism does not really have anything to do with violence why should severe autism be referred to as violent autism, then they would think low functioning people with autism can't interact with the world at all and all that as well as that they should be feared and should be regarded as you might regard a violent troll.

3 I don't like the scale being attatched to NT....I don't think there is 'almost NT' either someone has typical neurology and brain functioning or they don't. The levels of autism should be based on functioning if someone has autism they aren't 'almost normal' with a couple unusual traits....that isn't autism if it does not cause any significant impairment in functioning than it shouldn't be diagnosed as anything.

That particular proposal does not really make sense to me at all.

He said "violet autism" (the color scheme). Not "vioLENT autism". Lol!

Whether that makes sense either is an open question.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 7:37 pm

First; I don't believe AS is being replaced with High Functioning Autism.

And; I think you're misunderstanding what high functioning means.

Autism and Aspergers have a lot of overlap, but I'm convinced they are sufficiently different to remain seperate diagnosis.

High Functioning refers to executive function. The ability to plan ahead, remember that plan, and execute that plan.
For example; Something as simple as making a cup of coffe. The first step is to get the jug (why?). To put cold water in it (but I want coffee). Then you put the jug back on it's base and switch it on (I'm no seeing any coffee yet). Then go and get a cup (oh forgot about that). And a spoon (oh yea!). And get milk (milk? where's that again?). From the fridge (why am I looking in the fridge when I want a coffee?). ect...

Jaymcgrath
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2014, 8:00 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Jaymcgrath wrote:
Sorry if this has already been suggested on here, but the recent decision to abolish the diagnosis of AS and replace it with one of high functioning autism got me thinking.

This is not an accurate description of the change. The Aspergers diagnosis has been replaced with an Autism Spectrum Disorder diagnosis and that is already graded into levels based on the impact/severity of the symptoms. There is no diagnosis of high functioning autism. There are three severity levels: requiring support, requiring substantial support, requiring very substantial support.

Thanks for correcting me adamantium

Quote:
Many people, particularly NT a think of an autistic person as someone barely able to interact with the world and thus totally incapable of leading a normal life.
Many people are profoundly ignorant in many areas. No matter how many advances there are in molecular biology and genomics, there are people who don't believe in evolution. You can't fix ignorance with technical changes in the information people don't care to learn.

This is exactly why I'm uncomfortable with aspies being labeled ASD. I don't know if anyone watches a tv show called casualty on The BBC but last Saturdays episode showed a severely autistic character who didn't speak, reacted badly to touch, was generally trance like and only settled by music. It's imperative that people don't think all autistic people are like this. I still remember my GP telling me I didn't have aspergers because if I did I wouldn't make eye contact and would talk about one subject all day long - and that from a GP. If were all to be on the one diagnosis we have to differentiate between mild and severe some how. I like the three level system that's been suggested.

Don't disclose this brings problems n it's self if you subsequently find AS is getting I the way of your job you may not be able to get protection under disability discrimination laws without being fired for failing to disclose relevant information on your application form.

Jaymcgrath
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2014, 8:02 pm

He said "violet autism" (the color scheme). Not "vioLENT

Thanks for correcting me. I thought predictive text had got the better of me again. Lol

Jaymcgrath
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2014, 8:07 pm

Still sounds like more than a learning difference....I mean it would seem a lot of people on the spectrum can have a hard time processing a lot of information/outside input, so also likely to be a processing difference. Also I can see how trying to force an autistic baby/child to interact normally and essentially come off as having a normal functioning brain could backfire hardcore by overwhelming the poor child and having them develop a sense of they are always wrong and needing to be corrected, fixed.[

When ate people going to stop thinking that you can train aspies to be NT.? / :wall: :wall:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
1. a normal life is probably over-rated anyways, who the hell defines that anyways?
2. NT is not autistic, so why would NT be 'red autism' when its not even autism, it is a total lack of autism? Also considering having severe autism does not really have anything to do with violence why should severe autism be referred to as violent autism, then they would think low functioning people with autism can't interact with the world at all and all that as well as that they should be feared and should be regarded as you might regard a violent troll.

3 I don't like the scale being attatched to NT....I don't think there is 'almost NT' either someone has typical neurology and brain functioning or they don't. The levels of autism should be based on functioning if someone has autism they aren't 'almost normal' with a couple unusual traits....that isn't autism if it does not cause any significant impairment in functioning than it shouldn't be diagnosed as anything.

That particular proposal does not really make sense to me at all.

He said "violet autism" (the color scheme). Not "vioLENT autism". Lol!

Whether that makes sense either is an open question.

Oh wow, I feel smart now....lol

KariLynn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2014, 7:44 am

Jaymcgrath wrote:
Still sounds like more than a learning difference....I mean it would seem a lot of people on the spectrum can have a hard time processing a lot of information/outside input, so also likely to be a processing difference. Also I can see how trying to force an autistic baby/child to interact normally and essentially come off as having a normal functioning brain could backfire hardcore by overwhelming the poor child and having them develop a sense of they are always wrong and needing to be corrected, fixed.[

When ate people going to stop thinking that you can train aspies to be NT.? / :wall: :wall:

What I was talking about was not about making all kids NT. It is about understanding brain architecture differences and changing culture. In the past children were needed to contribute to the family's survival. Out of necessity, parents engaged their children differently. Children took responsibility for meeting their basic needs much earlier.
Now the role of children in the family has changed and the sensory environment has picked up speed. Now a baby with a tenancy to be less social will be engaged much less, have less motivation to engage because their bodily needs are taken care of, and will withdraw and meltdown because of sensory overload. They will learn much less from other people than they would have in the past. The effect of not learning compounds with every year.
What I was talking about was connecting with kids to build brain pathways so they can learn from other people, and teaching to their learning style. Teaching relationship and executive function skills makes their life more joyful and less painful. It does not dictate how or if they use the skills. This is very different from teaching instrumental social skills to make them appear more NT.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 11:22 am

KariLynn wrote:
Jaymcgrath wrote:

What I was talking about was not about making all kids NT. It is about understanding brain architecture differences and changing culture. In the past children were needed to contribute to the family's survival. Out of necessity, parents engaged their children differently. Children took responsibility for meeting their basic needs much earlier.
Now the role of children in the family has changed and the sensory environment has picked up speed. Now a baby with a tenancy to be less social will be engaged much less, have less motivation to engage because their bodily needs are taken care of, and will withdraw and meltdown because of sensory overload. They will learn much less from other people than they would have in the past. The effect of not learning compounds with every year.
What I was talking about was connecting with kids to build brain pathways so they can learn from other people, and teaching to their learning style. Teaching relationship and executive function skills makes their life more joyful and less painful. It does not dictate how or if they use the skills. This is very different from teaching instrumental social skills to make them appear more NT.

How exactly do you teach executive function skills? I mean I don't see how I can be taught to not have excutive functioning issues...I don't know the exact technical reason for the executive functioning issues, but its difficulty with starting tasks...organizing tasks and completing it so not sure how to 'teach' someone not to have trouble starting tasks, organizing it and making minor decisions about things if their brain has an inability to process information that way. So just have no idea what trying to improve executive functioning would look like....but not entirely skeptical perhaps there are things that help it. Also there is a difference between having autism and just being less social...I doubt its lack of social engagement that causes meltdowns from sensory overload, and willing to bet social engagement in excess can also cause sensory meltdowns.

As for the past a lot of those children who where unable to meet their basic needs much sooner, or had very limited ability to contribute.....probably ended up in institutions, dead, on the streets or with more mental problems, maybe offing themselves due to feeling worthless. SO I don't think its that all children just automatically could do that back in the 'good old days' but the ones that couldn't probably where more often than not abandoned or abused in some way unless they where lucky enough to have a really caring family that was ok with taking care of their 'crazy' child.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 1:20 pm

Most people in my community don't even know what Asperger's is. Some people associate it with violence due the media or someone who is savant. And autism is seen as a childhood disorder to others. I was diagnosed with High Functioning Autism and I don't tell anyone about it. If something happens that warrants a reason to say something, I tell them my brain is wired different then there's. I don't even disclose to my Family Medical doctor. I want to be treated like everyone else.

Most of the people I know are unable to understand what autism is, so why bother trying to explain it to them. And as far as a job application, I don't mention it at all. Once I start the job if there are any accommodation I need I tell them I have a disability that is recognized but the ADA and I need specific accommodations in ordered to do my job equally to those without a disability. If they ask what your disability is you do not have to tell them.

I dislike labels and choose not to disclose to very many people. Well except for here of course. And as far as diagnosis goes I don't know what the best method would be. If you have always identified as having Asperger's feel free to continue to use that label. In my opinion Asperger's is a completely separate and should never have been categorized with autism in the first place. People with Asperger's are unique and deserve to be completely separated. Someone diagnosed in the past with Asperger's may not be able to work while someone else with the DX is a Doctor. Even with the Asperger's DX there are levels and categories one would fall under. And still again there were others that had there own unique set of categories. It is a highly complex brain anomaly and even the professionals still don't understand the mechanisms of it nor the root cause. Maybe in 10 yrs. they will have a better understanding of what is happening. At one time everyone thought the earth was flat, now look at what we know. Give it time......

- Edgar Allan Poe -

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 1:53 pm

Quote:
In my opinion Asperger's is a completely separate and should never have been categorized with autism in the first place. People with Asperger's are unique and deserve to be completely separated. Someone diagnosed in the past with Asperger's may not be able to work while someone else with the DX is a Doctor. Even with the Asperger's DX there are levels and categories one would fall under.

thats an ignorant view of the whole autism spectrum, the rest of us on the spectrum have a unique presentation of our condition as well.
and classic autism comes in many forms with a wide IQ criteria from the very lowest to the very highest, temple grandin is a scientist,a professor and an ASD expert-she is high functioning classic autistic,stephen wiltshire is high functioning classic autistic;he owns and runs a profitible art gallery in london and is a savant in visual memory which had made him famous from a young age.
then there is tito mukhopadhyay;a profoundly classic autistic man who has wrote books and improved the recognition of autism in india.

the specific label of autism or our functioning level [which medicaly/officialy speaking refers to being below or above iq of 70 and its impact on the functioning and autism presentation] does not automaticaly mean people will either be unable to do anything OR highly successful.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 2:51 pm

Just tp clarify, I'm not ignorant and there is no need to bash me. I appoligize if my opinion has offended anyone. This is simply my point of view. I have austism not Aspergers.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 4:14 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
Just tp clarify, I'm not ignorant and there is no need to bash me. I appoligize if my opinion has offended anyone. This is simply my point of view. I have austism not Aspergers.

it isnt bashing,bashing is focusing negativity on a person, this is showing disproval towards words that are being put forward in a factual way which is wrong as opinions arent facts.

it also doesnt matter what are diagnosed with-that doesnt stop people being ignorant;ignorant means lacking understanding and awareness of something;everyone is ignorant in something.

Quote:
People with Asperger's are unique and deserve to be completely separated. Someone diagnosed in the past with Asperger's may not be able to work while someone else with the DX is a Doctor. Even with the Asperger's DX there are levels and categories one would fall under. And still again there were others that had there own unique set of categories. It is a highly complex brain anomaly and even the professionals still don't understand the mechanisms of it nor the root cause.

is ignorant towards the rest of the spectrum, it uses a factual manner to promote the individuality of aspergan presentation but completely denies the individuality of the rest,the whole quoted post also goes for classic autism and PDDNOS- its a highly individual presentation that differs for every person regardless of the label,and nor do profesionals have a clue about the causes of classic autism or PDDNOS;aspergers is no different to classic or atypical autism afterall,its just a different presentation like the rest.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 5:14 pm

I dislike the word ignorant. It is a word that should be removed from the dictionary. It is used by dumb people.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 5:25 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
I dislike the word ignorant. It is a word that should be removed from the dictionary. It is used by dumb people.

"It is used by dumb people" is a good example of bashing.

Love transcends all.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 5:41 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
Deb1970 wrote:

"It is used by dumb people" is a good example of bashing.

exactly,am going to throw in the word hypocrite as well on top of ignorant.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 6:45 pm

There are a lot of people who think classic autism and Asperger's should be considered a separate diagnosis and it is a valid argument.
Link> Brain differences found between Aspergers and autism

The conditions are grouped together because HFA and AS present the same in adults and both are considered autism. They share symptoms and the treatment would be the same.
It is not uncommon for a person with HFA to be re-diagnosed with AS. Also some people diagnosed with AS can be re-diagnosed as HFA. It is mostly dependent on knowledge of early childhood because presentation and IQ requirements are the same.
Sometimes the IQ of people with LFA cannot be measured accurately because of language deficits but if they learn alternative means of communicating such as typing, they present more as HFA.