Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 1:05 pm

When people are referring to tying there shoes are they referring to tying them into a not? i can't do that. I don't ride a bike, although never continued learning past the training wheel stage. I can drive a car OK. I'm a pretty good shot in basketball and can catch a baseball really well. I fall down more, and bang into things more then other people. At my Asperger's evaluation the doc said I had poor motor skills although I said they were a 'mixed bag."

Gilb
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 1:48 pm

My handwriting is AWFUL!! !
it was not until i was 9 i could shoelaces
i can touch type but it took me ages to do so and i am still a bit clumsy with it (i sometimes accidentally type the wrong letters or in the wrong order a lot)

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 1:57 pm

GOOD:

vehicles, rifle, drawing

BAD:

handwriting (I print), pistols, keyboards, drop stuff

WAS TOUGH:

shoelaces, zips, utinsels

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Erilyn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2007, 3:16 pm

I can print okay, but to this day I still can't write exclusively in cursive (I'm 28 years old!). I write in an odd mix of both, and my signature looks different every time.

I'm a four-finger typer. I've been working in an office for the last 5 years and I STILL have to look at the keys.

I can't dance to save my life. Seriously. I can't even coordinate myself enough to learn the simplest steps.

I can't play musical instruments - my hands don't seem to want to move independantly of each other. For example, on a piano I'd press a key with my right hand and my left hand would always do the same thing at the other end.

I've always been a really awkward runner.

Strangely enough, I've always been pretty good at balance. I learned to ride a bike very quickly, and I was always good at walking on balance beams.

Nightcry
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2007, 3:26 pm

Cyanide wrote:
Nightcry wrote:
My... Handwiting... Is... HORRIBLE!

Oddly enough, that's probably my best motor skill just because I used to draw so much when I was younger.

^^U Knives and forks I have trouble with, I dunno why. But we never use them around our house anyway 'cause everyone but Mum and Dad just eats with their fingers anyway.
Erilyn wrote:
I can't play musical instruments - my hands don't seem to want to move independantly of each other. For example, on a piano I'd press a key with my right hand and my left hand would always do the same thing at the other end.

I'm the same there. Also above average in balance, but can't touch type for my life. Guess that's kinda related to handwriting in ways though. Same sort of motor function.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Mar 2007, 7:05 pm

Erylin wrote:

I've always been a really awkward runner.

Strangely enough, I've always been pretty good at balance. I learned to ride a bike very quickly, and I was always good at walking on balance beams.[/quote]

Sounds like me. There are only two kinds of people in the world: Those who can pat their heads while
rubbing their bellies in a circular motion, and those who can't. I belong to the second category. As for
typing, I use the two finger hunt & peck method. Slow but it gets the job done. :wink:

rabbit23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2007, 8:08 pm

Good motor skills: piano keyboard, guitar fretboard, computer keyboard, mouse

Bad motor skills: bicycles, sports in general (wasn't so bad at tennis, but everything else I was toss at), handwriting, balance, pretty much everything else....

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2007, 9:23 pm

I have moments of clumsiness, mainly when I get preoccupied with something. I was told, however, that my skills in learning specific motor tasks were pretty good. As a child I ran fast, roller skated and learned to ride a bike easily. I didn't learn to tie my shoes until I was in the fourth grade, but I learned pretty quickly.

My handwriting is good and I can type 55 words per minute.

I read that Roger Bannister said it was easier for him to run as a child than to walk. He said he walked like he had springs in his legs.

DelicateCatastrophe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Mar 2007, 3:50 am

-It took me probably two years to learn to ride a bike
-I was in first or second grade before I tied shoes (there was maybe one other kid in my first grade class that couldn't)
-My handwriting has always been bad and never improved
-I don't try things like bowling, and suck at things like skating
-Gymnastics were the scariest, least fun bit of gym class
-My scores in physical tests in school dropped off sharply into below average around my 7th birthday
-I didn't even consider jeans until midle school
-I tried soccer in high school but the coaches hated me
-My mom had to bribe me with money to learn how to drive, and I didn't get my license until I was almost 18
-I often watch when I type
-I can't swim, though I can tread water after some practice on the timing (I'm 24)
-I used to hold eating utensils with my hand wrapped around instead of pencil style... kind of shovel-like. At some point, my brother pointed out to me that this was abnormal and I retrained myself

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 4:27 am

Playing ping-pong is really good for your motor skills. Everyone should play it if they get the chance, the motor skills improvement you reap is well worth the effort you put into learning how to play.

JYossarian
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2007, 5:46 am

I couldn't tie my shoes for 9 years and my handwriting is illegible even to me.

Jameson
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 12:03 pm

ahayes wrote:
Playing ping-pong is really good for your motor skills. Everyone should play it if they get the chance, the motor skills improvement you reap is well worth the effort you put into learning how to play.

I love playing ping-pong. I grew up with a ping-pong table in my basement. It was a great day when I could play my dad and beat him without him letting me win. :D

Air·is·water·with·holes·in·it. Think·honk·if·you're·a·telepath. Never·call·a·man·a·fool.·Borrow·from·him. A·tautology·is·a·thing·which·is·tautological. Hi!·I'm·a·.signature·virus!·Copy·me·into·your·~/.signature·to·help·me·spread!

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2007, 1:41 pm

my coordinations pretty dodgy. i can't do shoes, i can't tie a tie, i can't ride a bike, my handwritings rubbish and i have trouble cutting and opening packets yet i am really good at typing on the computer, djin and video games

Stop talking trash

lau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 4:35 pm

SteveK wrote:
With the top of the bolt.... rIGHT is tIGHT(clockwise), Left is Loose!

Just saw this, and I knew I had a problem.

So how do you know which is left and which is right?

I solved this a long while back. It goes like this...

I am accident prone.
I am right handed.
When having accident, I seem to be clever enough to usually keep the damage my non-dominant hand.
When I need to know left from right, I look at my hands.
The hand with most (but not all) of the scars is my left hand.

This is not a joke. This is perfectly serious. I still use this method.

----------

Other than the accident-prone-ness (which is mainly due to recklessness, I guess), my motor skills are pretty good - maybe even above average.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

03 Mar 2007, 6:19 pm

heres me springing off a tree, in this picture you really cant tell how bad my motor skills are because im in flight. but i can tell you they are fairly awful. i guess i should get to working on them but dont really like sports, so

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2007, 6:45 pm

I couldn't tie my shoes until I was 9.

Everything else is fine.

-SpaceCase