Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do people ever call you a child, in a way that puts you down?
Yes 62%  62%  [ 28 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Other 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 45

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 7:58 am

My wife says I act like a "two-year-old child" at times. My mother is condescending to me in a way in which mothers are usually condescending to their children.

I am fortunate, though, that I'm not usually treated like a child outside of my closest relationships.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 8:17 am

I have mostly run into this issue in relation to some of my interests which to others (particularly NTs) can seem childish. Such as collecting certain toys or using some with my kids (I could build lego things with them for hours! :lol:) So along the way I often hid this aspect from all but family and very trusted friends.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2014, 12:47 pm

It's interesting to read everyone's responses and see the different perspectives. For myself:

I don't think that having abilities at levels that are typical for children but atypical for adults makes me a child. I see ability and age as separate things.

I don't think that interests like playing with lego or reading the children's books I have loved since I was little makes me a child either. I see interests and age as even more separate than ability and age.

Love transcends all.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 4:59 am

I hate it too. It always feels like an attack to me, and it became a pet peeve of mine since I was about 14. In my early teens my family expected me to think and behave like an adult. I was expected to be mature, well organised, level-headed, independant and knowledgeable. It was hard feeling pressured to be all those things when you're still a school kid, and also having Asperger's as well, what makes you slightly more immature than your peers anyway.
And it wasn't like I was the oldest out of everybody either. I was the youngest sibling in my household, and I spent a bit of time with my cousins too but I wasn't the oldest or the youngest out of them, I was just in the middle. Although I did spend more time with the younger cousins than the older cousins.
But it was frustrating for me at the time to have to be an adult, and I think that frustration still stays with me now whenever I get called a child.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2014, 5:52 am

Ugh, I hate when people are condescending towards me. I can usually avoid it by being polite, articulate and hiding any of my disabilities.

Personfella
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Sep 2014, 10:50 pm

My exgirlfriend's mom called me a little boy.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 10:59 pm

Even if they do, I already know I'm extremely child-like. I still sleep with stuffed animals, need to have noise when I sleep and even have some light on as well. I also carry around my plushies wherever I go. I still eat off the kids menu too because the portions are smaller and I'm not a big eater. I have severe meltdowns if people even think of treating me like an adult too.It's harder for me because people actually don't realize I'm more like a vulnerable child than an adult, so they often think the opposite the moment they hear that I'm 25.