I think I'm getting a new embarrassing special interest

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 11:34 am

Special Interests are never weird! They're just special (if you acquire them the right way - without forcing them). Special Interests just come naturally. They are just a part of AS that I have inadvertently formed a Special Interest in. I have formed a Special Interest in Special Interests. That's why I give Special Interests the capital letters.

The only time I think Special Interests are weird (to others) is when you form a Special Interest in some human and it gets to the point of stalking. THAT'S WEIRD!! ! Understandable (from our perspective) but weird!! !

For me, I (unintentionally) formed an interest in Common/Indian Myna birds (Acredotheres Tristis). I have no idea why I now find them all enthralling since they've been around me all my life.

That's the magic of Special Interests. I've come to learn, you can try to pick a new Special Interest on propose but (in my experience), it won't last more than 3 months. You can't force a Special Interest. They must find you. They must come naturally.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 11:46 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think, if I got into Chelonian culture, that it wouldn't be embarrassing in the least.

:D Very glad to hear that! :)

Chelonian culture is the best!

natural plastic, it's "yarmulke" or "kipa"

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 3:51 pm

I'm not even sure if this will become a full special interest. It's just something that's been catching my attention lately. When I went to LA with my family there was a Jewish museum. I thought it would have been interesting, but no one else did. They just wanted to see Hollywood stuff and go to beaches. Maybe if I start learning about Jewish stuff this interest will just fade. I think part of the reason some of my special interests formed was because I wanted to forbid them.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 4:38 pm

Judaism has a RICH RICH history.

You should read about the Sephardic Jews as a start.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 4:43 pm

Me too I had many intrests like that I also once had an intrest in jewish people after I saw a half movie about russian jews

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

There's no need to feel embarrassed by special interests. They're there to be embraced and celebrated. :)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 6:47 pm

TheSperg wrote:
I have become obsessed with figuring out ways with almost no expensive tech other than trash you could safely deal with an ebola patient at home.

I think if my wife sees me again with used grocery bags over my arms and rubber bands she is gonna roll her eyes.

:P

Cover the grocery bags in duct tape; if they're used, they might have holes in them! Also, you'll want a face mask, goggles, ear defenders, and a plastic body suit: Ebola is only contagious if fluids from an infected person enter your body through orafices (eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc.) or cuts. You can probably find a plastic body suit on Amazon; they have everything there. If you can't find one with boots attached, get rubber gardening boots and duct tape the legs of the plastic suit to the ankles; it should be relatively secure. I share your fear of horribly infectious diseases: Ebola was a special interest of mine for a time. Horrifying stuff.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 3:28 am

Huh, that reminds me of my past obsessions with small pox and the black death.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Oct 2014, 7:04 am

I'm a middle-aged military man --who have done two combat tours-- and my new special interest is the musical Wicked. That's an embarrassing special interest. :wink:

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 3:47 am

You said she turned out to be a catfish? What does that mean? I mean, I know what a catfish is but what does it mean if you call someone a catfish? Is it Internet slang like a troll?

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:06 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
You said she turned out to be a catfish? What does that mean? I mean, I know what a catfish is but what does it mean if you call someone a catfish? Is it Internet slang like a troll?

It came from the title of a recent award winning documentary movie about such a person ( an interesting little independent film production that I recomend btw).

A "catfish" is a person who missrepresents themselves to you over the internet-and crafts a whole fictional identity to you. you're a teen guy, and think youve found the teen girl of your dreams in an internet penpal from far away- and it turns out that "she" is actually a middle aged Nigerian man. That would be a 'catfish'.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

Basically we were both on the optical section of yahoo answers. We both enjoyed answering the same questions. She knew more about optics than me and she claimed to be my age (16). We eventually started chatting on yahoo messenger.

At first we mostly talked about optics, but then she started talking about boys. Things started being a bit fishy when that started. She constantly had potential boyfriends with odd glasses prescriptions. She blamed that on them being Jewish, but that was still a bit fishy to me. Mainly because my ex boyfriend is Jewish and he had perfect vision.

Her sexual fantasies also seemed a bit odd. She used outdated sounding terms like "inside me." I'm not straight so I just blamed that on straight girls being odd. About a year after I started talking to her I found some posts by her that suggested that she wasn't 16. They still mentioned that she was a Jewish girl living in New York.

I later confronted her about this. At first she didn't confess anything, but later she said that she was actually 26 and already has kids. Right now I can't say for sure when she's actually being truthful.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 6:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:

It came from the title of a recent award winning documentary movie about such a person ( an interesting little independent film production that I recomend btw).

A "catfish" is a person who missrepresents themselves to you over the internet-and crafts a whole fictional identity to you. you're a teen guy, and think youve found the teen girl of your dreams in an internet penpal from far away- and it turns out that "she" is actually a middle aged Nigerian man. That would be a 'catfish'.

But what do they gain from that? I mean, they could talk to you anyway regardless of who they said they were? And it's not like they're going to gain anything from pretending

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 6:21 pm

Unfortunately, people like to play roles sometimes.

They are not satisfied with their true selves, so they create a persona.

This happens often because the anonymity of the internet enables it.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 7:29 pm

I think she was jealous of what an optics nerd I was. Optics has been an interest of mine since I was five, so I kind of had eleven years experience. I think she also wanted to relive her teen years and pretend to have more success with men.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2014, 8:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Unfortunately, people like to play roles sometimes.

They are not satisfied with their true selves, so they create a persona.

This happens often because the anonymity of the internet enables it.

Exactly.

There is all kinds of wierdness in the world. There are con artist out there who prey on people via false identies on the net. But there also folks who do it just for some odd psychological thrill (like the benign person in the movie of the name).