Never talk about it 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Other (please explain) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 46

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 1:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Usually, I only talk about autism here on WrongPlanet.

this seems to be a common sentiment here, it fits me too.
i hardly ever get the chance to talk about the autism spectrum in my day to day life, besides zooming through packed halls without as much as giving someone a tiny bit of eye contact autism doesn't negatively affect they way i live my daily life, all the gripes i encounter are shared by NT peers. (although it may be true that they can "hide" it better sometimes.)

if it is talked about, it is usually with someone older than me or in a position of some sort of authority, with speech therapy (i've had it since age 4) and not with my peers/fellow classmates, one exception being a friend texting me about her cousin who she describes as screaming, running around and crying. and she wanted me to help her.

now, even here on WP i don't pop my head into this specific forum very much but it's always there when i feel like i have to share something, it seems to be a large part of the "backbone" of the site.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 11:25 am

I talk about AS on here of course, and on a few other sites, but not on social media.

IRL I sometimes talk to my mother about Asperger traits, behavior, POVs, reactions etc. No one else ever.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:05 am

Skilpadde wrote:
IRL I sometimes talk to my mother about Asperger traits, behavior, POVs, reactions etc.

i hope she's been understanding of you, and your traits for as long as she's known of them. :thumright: my folks denied it until like two years ago.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2014, 12:14 am

I was recently diagnose with this Aspergers and I felt great shame because of it. I have no pride in it and I hate the fact that I might be me because of it and not my own will to power. Thus, I dislike talking about it and since I hate the pity revolved around the fact that I have it.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 12:43 am

Much less than my interests. It used to be an interest but my comorbid is more troublesome so I know more about that. Not something I mention to people very often at all and it has never been a staying interest because there is so much more to look at in the world of psychology. Sometimes I think "am I looking at this because it interests me all that much or am I looking at it because it pertains to me"? So I talk about it at WP, and typically if I do read something on it it's probably to do with neurology, because I am very interested in neurology.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 1:23 am

constantly

\

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 4:54 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:
IRL I sometimes talk to my mother about Asperger traits, behavior, POVs, reactions etc.

i hope she's been understanding of you, and your traits for as long as she's known of them. :thumright: my folks denied it until like two years ago.

Thanks!

Sorry your folks denied it...

Luckily my mother is a very understanding person. She is the opposite of her own mother, who was very strict and showed little understanding in many ways.
My obsessions have been one of the biggest hurdles between us, because she doesn't get that at all. Not being so into something and not to the exclusion of other things. But just the same she has always tried to be understanding and supportive. She really is a wonderful mother!

We also have some disagreements on what is appropriate to say, but that actually goes both ways; there are things I find inappropriate or embarrassing that she doesn't.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 5:07 am

I talk about it a lot. I find that people want to learn and know about it so I try to share what I have learned with them.

Wreck It Ralph

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 5:15 am

I voted "sometimes" meaning, "when I am asked, or an explanation is called for", - and, of course, here, on this page.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 11:22 am

I'm fine talking about the spectrum in this site; the rest of the internet? Not so.

There are rare times where a very few of my friends (one of them is a psychologist, one of them is gifted, and one of them has ADHD instead). I won't mind if they questioned it first.

But in real, I almost don't. But sometimes, I give my glimpse of my point of view to my relatives whenever I'm ranting about something. But then, none of them understands.
I almost never talked about it. But I get a feeling that some people around me already knew; and 'faking NT' is useless. But then, that didn't helped much. It only gets a bit annoying.
Sometimes, my mom, she usually tells my case to others. I already told her NOT to being it up anymore. Sometimes, she's not aware, that I know, that she tells some people whenever she tells me to leave to talk to others.

And just earlier today, my (new) professor just spotted me being in the spectrum. 8O I didn't replied back when I get to hear him questioning it IN FRONT OF THE CLASS because I pretended to sleep in class. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.