Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:26 pm

yournamehere wrote:
Stay young. I'm 43, and don't see myself "growing up" any time soon. It is the time in your life when you need to work on being responsible, and independent. It doesn't happen overnight, and it takes work. It may suck. The alternative is staying the same, and changing nothing, while everything changes around you.

^^^Great advice^^^

Late teens and early twenties can be a tough time for your average aspie but things get better soon. As you get a bit older suddenly you might find yourself making your own way in life, making friends with mature and intelligent people who find your viewpoint interesting, and making enough money to have your own place and have it your own way.

Happy Birthday! You're only as old or young as you want to be.

Take care.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Nov 2014, 2:40 pm

I feel you. If I compare myself to my peers, I don't think I'm as deserving of the "20" label as most of them.

bguimaraes wrote:
PS: I hate special treatment. I'm asperger, not crazy or retarted....

Careful using those terms. Many users on here would widely be considered to be one of those things, and generally they find it insulting. They're people too! :wink:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I feel you. If I compare myself to my peers, I don't think I'm as deserving of the "20" label as most of them.

bguimaraes wrote:
PS: I hate special treatment. I'm asperger, not crazy or retarted....

Careful using those terms. Many users on here would widely be considered to be one of those things, and generally they find it insulting. They're people too! :wink:

She was making a self-referential statement and wasn't insulting anyone here.
Keep in mind that for many years the term "ret*d" was a valid universally utilized Medical term. It was not an insult, it was a diagnosis. Please don't take the PC movement too far.

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2014, 7:27 pm

Hey, I meant that I was raised as if I needed special treatment, just because when I was in psychologist with six years and he suspected something... that time here in Brazil, nobody knew what was ASPERGER. So they began supervising me too much, I couldn't ride a bike, eat without someone looking what I was doing, I couldn't do a lot of things normal for a child ... and so on, like I was sick (I don't think my asperger is sickness, I have hard times, but just the socializing part now that irritates me). At the time I was a kid and didn't care at all. Now I see how wrong it was, and how I can do anything: I learned to ride a bike (even I was 18-19?), learn a bit of socializing in internet videos... but HERE in my house, they still thinking I'm not capable yet, maybe because I'm asperger, or maybe because I like just the same things when I was a kid... like colllecting cars, dinosaurs, talking about astronomy.... that's why I don't feel like I'm 20, but at the same time I feel like I'm capable to do things just like everybody else (except friends... kidding :roll: ) eeeh....

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Nov 2014, 7:29 pm

i'm on the same boat.
20 on dec 5th.
it'll be another nothing birthday like the last god knows how many, i'm not keeping track.
i also have nothing going on in life.

Skurvey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2014, 7:41 pm

Happy Birthday - another Sagittarius here, somehow our birthday time is always a bit depressing, as everyone is more interested in the approach of Christmas than people's birthdays.

I'm 46 years young, I still feel young and still don't know what to do with my life. I've had some good adventures though, your 20's are the time for adventures, when you're still indestructible. Get out there and get some experiences. Your an aspie, you can do anything!! !! !!

American
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2014, 12:37 am

bguimaraes wrote:
I'll be 20y in two weeks. I'm just scared, I don't feel like I'm 20, I'm shy and awkward as a kid, I actually don't feel "adult" at all. My aunts that I live together since kid, are trying to convince me to do a party, but I have zero friend to invite! And they know it! I know it's nothing serious, but I swear, I look for my birthday cake every year and think "suicide noooow!". It's too hard getting old with and never changing :cry:
"And I've never felt more alone It feels so scary, getting old"<Sorry if seems too dramatic but I'm really depressed about it...

It's a time of transition for you. It is hard. However I think that few people in the Western world, NT or otherwise, feel like an "adult" when they're 20 (many certainly don't act like an "adult" at that age!). I am a few years older than you and, in some ways, I feel like emotionally I'm 10 years younger but intellectually much older. I don't know how else to explain it. Is that how you feel? It can make life frustrating sometimes but that's okay. Everyone has their frustrations and challenges in life. Also, don't consider suicide. If you are that depressed seek help immediately. You have a lot to live for. You have your whole life (well, okay, 3/4 to 4/5 of it) ahead of you. The challenges you are facing now will only make you a stronger and better person.

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2014, 11:23 am

I feel like I need to change my whole personality to be "adult". This is scary

American
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2014, 8:36 pm

bguimaraes wrote:
I feel like I need to change my whole personality to be "adult". This is scary

I doubt many people do that. There's no magic age where you have to radically overhaul your personality. Just let it grow and evolve naturally.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2014, 9:02 pm

Hello bguimaraes,

I know the feeling and it was the same for me, I was terrified to turn 20, I felt I was entering adulthood and it scared the hell out of me, but quickly withing a month nothing changed, I still felt the same and felt in my head that I was younger. Also the 20's where the best period of my life, getting my diploma in films studies, getting my first job, got my first professional short film made, travelled a lot, and simply didn't care about anything, and it was also in my 20's (at 22) that I got diagnose with Asperger's.
Today at 33, I still don't feel like an adult, in my head and the way I live I'm still in my early twenties, when most of my friends (all NT's) are thinking about settling down, having kids and making plans, me, I just want to continue to travel, watch has much movies I like, collect action figures and continue creating new stuff.
So what I'm saying age is just a number in an ID card, your real age is something else.

bguimaraes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Nov 2014, 7:51 am

SpirosD thanks, this made me feel better!