Do you have a strong or weak personality??

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you have a strong or weak personality??
Strong personality 45%  45%  [ 14 ]
Weak personality 32%  32%  [ 10 ]
Neither (normal) 23%  23%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 31

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 10:03 am

I don't have a sense of this.

When I am engaged in something, particularly a real interest, I think I can be quite strong in expressing things.

When I am not, I can fade very much into the background. People sometimes call me by other people's names. I think this means I can make a weak impression on people.

I am not sure I even really know what personality is. Is it the patterns of my own thinking? That would be very strong. Is it the way I communicate with others? that would be strongly variable.

I am glad this was posted because It has made me think about personality and realize that I am not clear on what it is.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 1:49 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I've been told that I'm strong-willed, but I've also been told that I'm too much of a doormat. Aren't these two things kind of diametrically opposed?

Perhaps this observation might apply.

I think when you are normally a doormat ( non-aggressive), that this encourages other people to subconsciously become more aggressive towards you as the norm. I think this system of testing for weakness or tolerance is automatic in human and many other societies. The effect on the doormat is that transgressions and stress accumulates to a point where you reach a limit and act out to put a stop to it. The minute you take this non-characteristic action, the people around you view this consciously as you having a strong aggressive personality.

Does anyone else observe a similar pattern?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 2:08 pm

I've been told by many people that I have a very strong personality. I express myself through my art, crafts and clothes.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2014, 2:18 pm

I voted 'neither.'

Sometimes I can be a pretty strong character; I don't take any messing and I don't always care about others when stating opinions or making decisions. On the other hand, when with certain people, I feel happy to take the back seat.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 2:21 pm

Loving your mother does not mean you are weak.
It sounds like your father has issues and wants you to be macho. That's his problem, not yours.

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 2:24 pm

olympiadis wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I've been told that I'm strong-willed, but I've also been told that I'm too much of a doormat. Aren't these two things kind of diametrically opposed?

I think when you are normally a doormat ( non-aggressive), that this encourages other people to subconsciously become more aggressive towards you as the norm. I think this system of testing for weakness or tolerance is automatic in human and many other societies. The effect on the doormat is that transgressions and stress accumulates to a point where you reach a limit and act out to put a stop to it. The minute you take this non-characteristic action, the people around you view this consciously as you having a strong aggressive personality.

I can see that happening. But I think they might view it not as a strong aggressive personality, but that their convenience has been violated or they get upset and act like what they were doing shouldn't have been a problem because they couldn't tell you didn't like it, this even in the face of outright, obvious maltreatment of you. Perhaps in the end they may come to believe you are aggressive, once they have absolved themselves of any of the responsibility for harming you.

I used to have a very "weak" personality according to Xenocity's definition. Nowadays, I think I am approaching "average". I am not as much of a door-mat and people don't stomp all over me as much. I used to be extremely quiet. It makes a big difference just to be able to talk and to meet "social overtures" more naturally and more readily. Also, when you are very quiet or have a "weak" personality (the opposite of Xenocity's definition of a "strong" personality), people will attribute any characteristics to you that they want to see. This is very bad if you offend them. I think on the whole, it depends on what they mean exactly by "strong" or "weak"; I see some posts here where people report that the word "strong" was used in a positive way.

As far as the words go, I have always found these descriptions of personality to be offensive. I don't think I have a "weak" personality. To me, that sounds really, really negative. I have heard of people with "strong" personalities being praised and lauded. To me, a lot of them are likely to bully, tease, or make jokes at someone else's expense. It's the same thing when people equate self-confidence with being able to walk into a room and talk to somebody they don't know; these are two different things. It's not a matter of confidence, it's a matter how and when to approach them, whether or not it's okay, and then what to say after you do make contact.

Defies categorization. A mixed bag.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 3:05 pm

I have to say weak. I am extremely attached to my parents. This is due to the fact that I'm a child trapped in an adult's body as well. I can't do things like cooking or cleaning. I can't drive, hold down a job or even attend college. So, I rely a lot on my parents for help and support. It does create a conflict because while I'm developmentally-delayed, they are physically-challenged, and it's hard for them to care for someone who's got the mental capacity of a an 8 to 15 year old (it varies depending on my mood). My parents often get after me about trying to do things myself, but it's almost as if I get this mental block or pop-up in my mind preventing me from doing those things.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 3:33 pm

I don't know really. I am pretty quiet IRL and I suppose I am on here too.

I spend a lot of time around people with extremely strong personalities so it is hard to get a word in anyway most of the time.

But then on the other side of the coin my job is cold calling and I am in the top three in my company so there must be something quite strong about my personality.

I'm 50/50 on this one.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:40 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've been told the same...actually have been told lots of contradictory things about myself. The only thing people seem to agree on is that I am a quiet person.

olympiadis wrote:

Yes that sums it up pretty well.

I think I actually have a strong personality, but I also have a tremendous amount of reserve and sometimes people interpret that as being a doormat. However they usually find out pretty quickly that is not the case.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 4:47 pm

It depends on what mood I am in on a day-to-day basis.

NiceCupOfTea
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 5:29 pm

I don't have a clue.

To some extent, my online bolshiness/chip-on-my-shoulder masks an underlying insecurity that runs very deep. I sometimes feel very weak, not in the sense of being a doormat (I avoid other people too much for them to make many demands of me), but in the sense of not possessing an inner "drive", motivating force, or whatever - the sort of drive which compels young adults to leave home, build a career, travel the world, etc. I've always had a kind of apathy or inertia about me.

On the other hand, I have been through a f***-load of crap and come out with my sanity sort of intact. It's not over yet, though... >.>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 5:35 pm

Nope...it's certainly not! :D

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm

Adamantium wrote:
I don't have a sense of this.

When I am engaged in something, particularly a real interest, I think I can be quite strong in expressing things.

When I am not, I can fade very much into the background. People sometimes call me by other people's names. I think this means I can make a weak impression on people.

I am not sure I even really know what personality is. Is it the patterns of my own thinking? That would be very strong. Is it the way I communicate with others? that would be strongly variable.

I am glad this was posted because It has made me think about personality and realize that I am not clear on what it is.

People calling you by others names might be because you look similar to that person or your name is similar to theirs or something, it never happens to me because my name is different than most people's and I look different than most lol
I am glad someone finds this post useful xD

54together wrote:
I voted
'neither.'

Sometimes I can be a pretty strong character; I don't take any messing and I don't always care about others when stating opinions or making decisions. On the other hand, when with certain people, I feel happy to take the back seat.

Same with me I'm so weak when it comes to some people and I can be seen as a follower sometimes to them xD

YippySkippy wrote:
Loving your mother does not mean you are weak.
It sounds like your father has issues and wants you to be macho. That's his problem, not yours.

I don't think my father would want a macho daughter xD
Sometimes I'm too attached to my mother I would follow her around everywhere

adriantesq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2014, 7:43 pm

I'm a 69 year old, male, married, aspie, with a daughter and grandchildren, who has has a bizarre life due to having undiagnosed Asperger's Syndrome until the age of 49, but the diagnosis transformed my life so much for the better that I was asked to coach and counsel colleagues with it, and they in turn asked me to coach and counsel friends and relatives outside our profession, and I started doing that in Yahoo in about 2005 and have been doing it ever since.

First I did it in Yahoo Chat, and when that closed down I did it in Yahoo Answers. The big difference between them, from my point of view, is that I spend most of my coaching and counseling time trying to help auties and aspies who admit to feeling suicidal. I have been able to coach and counsel suicide ideating auties and aspies because I've been there, done that, got the tee shirt, over 2000 times before I was twelve and a half, but only three times since then, and I come from a family with a history of suicide ideation, as my mother hanged herself and her maternal grampa died of complications from trying to drown himself.

It's a very serious problem - children with autism spectrum disorders are about 27 times as likely as other children to contemplate or attempt suicide (Penn State University research on correlation between autism spectrum disorder and suicide, 2012) - adults with autism spectrum disorders are about 9 times as likely as other adults (Cambridge University research on correlation between autism spectrum disorder and suicide, 2014) - 9 is one third of 27 - so what happened to the other two thirds - maybe they didn't make it to adulthood - however the US Fed has started funding GPS tracking devices for fitting to the bodies / clothing of people with autism spectrum disorder who are at risk of disappearing and being found dead months later.

Take care autie and aspie brothers and sisters - if you start suicide ideating tell someone - anyone - me - that you need help - my email address is [email protected] - dont hesitate - email me - one day can make the difference between you having a great life and having no life at all because you have killed yourself - I don't charge fees for coaching or counselling so don't let your financial status prevent you from emailing me

Adrian

adriantesq - Born 1945, diagnosed as Savant 1949, Autist 1950, Unfulfilled musical genius 1953, Autistic Psychopath 1960, Aspie 1994, appointed as the County Surveyors Society Chief Instructor Suicide Avoidance and Prevention in 1995, became Amazon Best Selling Author in Biographies and Memoirs of Childhood Autism and Asperger's Syndrome 2014, and Ambassador for Autie and Aspie Students of Energime University 2016.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

adriantesq wrote:
if you start suicide ideating tell someone - anyone - me - that you need help - my email address is [email protected] - dont hesitate - email me -

Given the number of members here, it could shut down your email account.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 9:06 pm

The guy's only trying to help.

I guess there could be overload, come to think of it.