Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2023, 7:56 am

I really hate 'new car smell' because it reminds me so viscerally of feeling sick in the back of my dad's cars when I was young. Given the option I will always drive rather than be a passenger.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

25 Jun 2023, 8:48 am

bee33 wrote:
I used to have really bad motion sickness before puberty, pretty much throwing up or feeling constantly nauseous on nearly every car trip. It's much better now but I still get it sometimes.

When I used to frequently take a two-hour bus trip in the last 20 years I always had to sit in the most forward seat, and then I would still sometimes feel nauseous. It was especially bad if we were going around a long winding turn, and I found that it helped to keep staring at the same point on the bus windshield, so my eyes were not following the turn but staying fixed. I also found some relief from applying pressure to the inside of my wrist. This is a specific technique: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/patie ... d-vomiting

Not having recently eaten also helped. And getting air. Buses sometimes have an small fan you can turn on in the console above the seat, and in a car you can either open the window or blow stronger (cool) air from the vent.

I can't read at all when I am in a car or bus, not even glancing down for a moment or it makes me feel queasy almost right away.

Is this related to ASD?
The buses I've been on have more vibration in back due to their engines being in back & perhaps that could be a factor for some people. I usually don't sit in back of buses but I haven't noticed feeling worse when I do but some people don't handle vibration as well. My girlfriend who's very likely also on the spectrum has never handled vibration well maybe due to nerve issues but she's usually not prone to motion sickness. She took the train trip with me & also took Meclizine & she was a little bothered on the way there. We saw my uncle briefly while we were down there & my uncle took some train trips when he was younger & recommended sitting in the middle of the car when we can. We had sat in back or front of the car on our way there(I forget which) & we sat in the middle on our way back & the ride was smother & Cass was bothered at lot less.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

bobert
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2023, 9:22 am

Motion sickness seems to be a genetic "condition". In my family either you have it or you don't, and I definitely have it!
Cars on curvy roads, boats in rough conditions, amusement park rides, and turbulent airplane flights are all the kiss of death.
Over the counter motion sickness meds work but leave me groggy and I hate taking meds in general. The best solution I've found is to eat crystalized ginger and wear accupressure wrist bands. Not. sure why they work, but I can now fly without taking anti motion sickness meds.
The tough thing is that there seems to be a psychological component to motion sickness. When I get stressed out over the fear of getting sick, it seems to make things much worse.
It's very hard to parse out the physical vs the psychological in motion sickness!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 11:02 am

I can't travel on anything, I can't even sit on a swing. It's got worse and worse as I've got older. I have to keep as still as possible all the time.

Although if I travel on a bus every day I kind of get used to the motion and learn to cope with it. Never had a problem with trains though, I'd always choose those.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 11:15 am

KitLily wrote:
I can't travel on anything, I can't even sit on a swing. It's got worse and worse as I've got older. I have to keep as still as possible all the time.

Oh yeah, I can't stay on a swing for long now without getting nauseous either. Or roundabouts. I may as well not bother going to the park these days.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 1:51 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Oh yeah, I can't stay on a swing for long now without getting nauseous either. Or roundabouts. I may as well not bother going to the park these days.

Yes I left my daughter to do all that, I didn't join in. Luckily she's too old to go to the park now :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

26 Jun 2023, 7:18 pm

bobert wrote:
Motion sickness seems to be a genetic "condition". In my family either you have it or you don't, and I definitely have it!
Cars on curvy roads, boats in rough conditions, amusement park rides, and turbulent airplane flights are all the kiss of death.
Over the counter motion sickness meds work but leave me groggy and I hate taking meds in general. The best solution I've found is to eat crystalized ginger and wear accupressure wrist bands. Not. sure why they work, but I can now fly without taking anti motion sickness meds.
The tough thing is that there seems to be a psychological component to motion sickness. When I get stressed out over the fear of getting sick, it seems to make things much worse.
It's very hard to parse out the physical vs the psychological in motion sickness!
My grandma used to get motion sickness sometimes. That's one of the reasons she didn't do long trips but she was usually OK on shorter car rides when in the front seat. I'm not sure if this is related but she sometimes wakes up with migraines that make her very nauseous. I have issues with migraines occasionally but for me it's more of a bad headache & sleeping usually helps. Mine were a lot more frequent when I was in school but perhaps they were more of stress or sinus headaches.

I've noticed that I was more likely to feel a tad queasy on crowded buses probably due to anxiety. Taking the benzo Klonopin before leaving when I might would take a crowded bus helped with my anxiety & queasiness. I take Klonopin a lot less often now that I'm more used to buses & I'm usually fine without it. I never noticed anxiety making me queasy in other anxiety situations thou. In non-bus situations my anxiety would make me go to the bathroom a lot instead. Taking Buspar for my anxiety helps alot with that.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2023, 2:48 am

The trouble with my motion sickness is...It doesn't stop when I get out of the car/bus/whatever. Once I'm ill, I'm ill for the rest of the day. So that is a big reason not to travel at all.

notSpock
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Jun 2023, 4:46 pm

I had no idea there was a correlation here, but from the number of posts I'm starting to think so. I've been prone to motion sickness all my life. Never like riding in back seat of a car. Best when I am the driver, but on an unfamiliar curvy mountain road I can get it even then. Always want fresh air blowing in my face from a vent.

Interesting that several people mentioned ginger. Have not used it for motion sickness, but my general go-to for stomach upset is a ginger kombucha.

angelsonthemoon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 May 2024, 2:52 pm

I sometimes feel dizzy even after very normal drives.