Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 5:52 pm

Good for you, Cockney Rebel.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 1:11 am

I can hope it would be that easy.

I think the biggest obstacle to accepting something is because that to be accepted challenges collective traditional thought (something like interracial coupling or gay marriage until recently) but I don't believe you can blame ignorance on being NT necessarily. I think it turns people off, in fact.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:51 pm

OatmealPotato wrote:
I also have another question that I wanna ask. I figure asking it here is easier than making a sepatate post.

What's the deal with functioning labels? From what I encounter online, it seems that they are generally hated and their use strongly discouraged.

The definition of "functioning" is: "to carry on a function or be in action." The definition of "low" is: "situated or passing below the normal level, surface, or base of measurement ; falling short of some standard." "High" would be the opposite of low, obviously.

I'm struggling to see how refering to someone whose impairments leave them unable to perform basic self-care needs - something that comes with functioning independently in life - as low functioning is not correct. Functioning on a lower level seems to mean functioning in a way that is falling short of carrying out the standard of abilities that come with living independently. It reminds me of the phrase that people use when they're having a rough day: "I just couldn't function today."

We all have impairments that effect us at different severities, so when I hear the label "high functioning" it makes me think of being able to function at a higher level that what is typical of those with autism. I know that some of those who the experts (or whoever) would consider high functioning sometimes struggle just as much in particular areas as someone who others may consider low functioning. I think I grasp how a spectrum isn't the best way of talking about the differences between people with autism.

I'm just having a hard time figuring out where it is I'm not seeing something more clearly so that I can understand better. To me, the literal definitions fit.

Don't worry about "high" vs "Low". You are correct that a 'high functioning' autism means you function: essentially that you blend in to society and can work and go to school, and dont need someone to dress you etc.

Some autistic folks on line dont like the term (for reasons that are unclear to me). But most folks are fine with it. So if you're fine with it too then just use the term.

IncredibleFrog
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Dec 2014, 11:26 pm

B19 wrote:
IncredibleFrog wrote:
Even if you don't think of autism as being "below" aspergers, many people unfortunately still do. I know people who seem to think that anyone with autism must reside in a "home" and regularly smear their own feces on the wall. People can be SO far off from the truth. I suspect you know it, and that's why you make a point of saying "autism spectrum disorder", and not just "autism".

But, if more well functioning, intelligent people such as yourself identify (correctly, of course) as having autism, you can help to inform others and raise the perceived bar of autism. Of course, it's a personal decision how you present yourself to others, and I'm sure no one will think less of you either way.

Yes. Attitudes of the ignorant won't begin to change without eduation, and that education has to be done by people on the spectrum, individually if not collectively (I wish). There are numerous opportunities and ways of doing this. It doesn't need to involve personal one to one communication (though that's good too).
The autistic community has to take on that responsibility more widely. The bloggers do their piece, and many do it very well online, like Musings of an Aspie, Woman with Aspergers, so many others too. You can write letters, give interviews, write free lance articles, comment on newspapers like the Guardian, form a support group, lots of other things, it is a snowball effect that gets going. This may happen in the next few years, I certainly pray that it does. Once it reaches a critical mass, there are attitudinal shifts in the general population, then the media follows that trend.. All that needs to happen is for inertia to be overcome in the ASD community.

Or the media covers it, then the masses follow the trend. ;)

mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2014, 12:17 am

B19 wrote:
A different view of the DSM 5 from what I often read here and elsewhere:

http://www.zurinstitute.com/dsmcritique.html

Rather implying that this belongs on the Junk Science Spectrum.