Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 11:24 pm

Not really. Maybe somewhat, though. It's mostly based on a general perception.

I think many 19 year old people are in transition, and have a hard time. Things usually get better by 25.

Butterfiend
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2014, 11:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think many 19 year old people are in transition, and have a hard time. Things usually get better by 25.

That's actually really reassuring.

AQ Score:44

Feel free to PM me for any reason at all. I like to talk to people online.

"I do not know what I am, and soon it may not matter." -Mewtwo.

"Time passes, people move. Like a river’s flow, it never ends." - Sheik

"I'm not popular enough to be different." -Homer Simpson

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 11:47 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
I never had a Birthday Party. I never had enough friends to actually have a party but besides that, I never wanted one.
We had birthday parties, but they were pretty much strictly family. I don't remember any birthday parties to which non-relatives showed up.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2014, 11:51 pm

Growing up to me means that I'd have to act my age and my birth gender. Yuck! :eew:

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 12:01 am

I'm 19. Legally I'm an adult, intelligence-wise I am much older, but emotionally and socially I'm really immature. I have a hard time regulating my emotions and impulses, and I guess I can be a bit naive, so that makes me look pretty childish. It doesn't help that physically I look more boyish than manly. My face looks almost exactly the same as it did when I was a kid, even a baby, people easily recognize me from toddler pictures and say, "You look exactly the same!" And all of my aunts, friends' moms, and really just mothers in general, STILL tell me how cute I am.
-_-

Anyway... I want to be an adult in the sense that I want to be financially independent and able to live on my own. But other than that, I don't care for society's idea of what an adult is.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 12:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Only 6 more years...

- Sherlock Holmes

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 12:16 am

The problem with growing up is that knowledge can be a very detrimental thing if not given enough context, it comes at a price becomes it tends to diminish that sense of wonder that you have as a kid, and then there are the cold hard truths of this world that we shield the children from, the things that tend to rear people towards cynicism.

The more you know the less wonder you tend to feel, when you're a kid there is just so much unknown in this world and it's a constant influx of discovery, as you become an adult most of that is done away with and that sense of grandiose wonder comes in smaller and yet smaller doses.You can take it to the next level in a trade or interest and become a vanguard there to explore where others left off, but that requires a lot of disciplined study in a dull room, something that doesn't carry that constant sense of wonder that you're addicted to as a child.

and then there's the fact that you have all of this in the context of being dependent on others, since you're not yet exposed to the stress of responsibility and independent living.

I often think that while I've been chronically depressed for a long time, my life wouldn't have been so bad if I died shortly around/before puberty.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 1:27 am

I hated growing up when I was a pre teen and I had that fear of becoming an adult. But honestly I think being an adult is easier than being a child because I don't have to deal with any BS and having to conform or else I get bullied and picked on and at least no one cares what you wear or what you like because they leave you alone. I don't have to worry about what to wear or if I wore this outfit already or not and I have more freedom so I can decide what to buy and what things to have without having to ask for it and then hear the word no or being told I can't have this or that. I was in 6th grade when I realized all the adults had all the power and control and kids were dominated and told what to do and didn't have much freedom and were to be silent and not allowed to express themselves or else it's "disrespect." Then I really couldn't wait to be an adult lol.

I like earning my own money because it gives me freedom and money to spend on things I want and I can drive so that gives me freedom too but I still have to budget and there is the money anxiety.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:38 am

russiank12 wrote:
I completely understand. I don't want to grow up either. As a kid, I was very mature and grown up, but once I actually had adult responsibilities put on me, I became childish.

Spot on russiank12. Well, I'm 47 now and I still don't feel 'mature'.

Same with me. As I said, when I was young, I was far more mature than the kids around me but as I got older and had responsibilities lumped on me, I began to act less responsible. I guess I was rebelling. I didn't want anything to change.

I'm very different to other men my age (I'm very different to other men). I still like to skim rocks on the surface of the water. I 'now' like to see how far I can flick my cigarette butts, childish stuff like that that other men don't do. I don't know. I'm not unhappy with how I am but I'm certainly different. As I've always said, I don't think I grew up properly. Oh well! :roll:

How's it go? Different, not defective!

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:43 am

ImAnAspie wrote:
russiank12 wrote:
I completely understand. I don't want to grow up either. As a kid, I was very mature and grown up, but once I actually had adult responsibilities put on me, I became childish.

Spot on russiank12. Well, I'm 47 now and I still don't feel 'mature'.

Same with me. As I said, when I was young, I was far more mature than the kids around me but as I got older and had responsibilities lumped on me, I began to act less responsible. I guess I was rebelling. I didn't want anything to change.

I'm very different to other men my age. I still like to skim rocks on the surface of the water. I 'now' like to see how far I can flick my cigarette butts, childish stuff like that that other men don't do. I don't know. I'm not unhappy with how I am but I'm certainly different. As I've always said, I don't think I grew up properly. Oh well! :roll:

I hope I still do that stuff 20+ years from now. I don't really intend to mature by the popular western standards.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 6:16 am

I like to stay as a child, I don't mind the limitations and expectations because they're easy but annoying.
And advance to adult already. I don't mind the mature experiences and expectations because they're reasonable.

I never want to be a teen, ever. I wish I can skip the teen part, I hate being a teen. But I HAVE to, unfortunately. I just don't want the teenager's expectations. (Being treated like a kid and expect to act like an adult, the hormones that would I wish I can get rid of, and more people idled with hormones that would keep bothering me, and many more that would drive me insane like the typical BS from peer pressures) IMO, being a teen made me a slower learner even I tried so hard to resist it.

Aaanndd.. I might not wish to live as an incapable advanced senior. I don't know, I simply don't want to live long enough when I'm not able to walk or think anymore. I don't wanna live long enough to remain in a bed in a vegetative state for the rest of my years.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 7:24 am

Edna3362 wrote:
... that would drive me insane like the typical BS from peer pressures

I was lucky in that regard at school. In fact, all of my life.

I've never been one to succumb to peer pressure. In fact, the more I'm pressured to conform, the more I rebel. I just didn't belong and I knew it but I never coped a hard time over it and still did my own thing, whatever I wanted to do and however I wanted to do it. I never mixed with the other kids much. Not because they gave me a hard time (which they didn't) or because I didn't like them. I've just never ever valued friendship and have always preferred my own company. I spent most of my time in the library. That's where I was most happy.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 12:05 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
... that would drive me insane like the typical BS from peer pressures

I was lucky in that regard at school. In fact, all of my life.

I've never been one to succumb to peer pressure. In fact, the more I'm pressured to conform, the more I rebel. I just didn't belong and I knew it but I never coped a hard time over it and still did my own thing, whatever I wanted to do and however I wanted to do it. I never mixed with the other kids much. Not because they gave me a hard time (which they didn't) or because I didn't like them. I've just never ever valued friendship and have always preferred my own company. I spent most of my time in the library. That's where I was most happy.

Lucky. Mine got a bit complicated because of desperation. It might got me depressed that time. Until I transferred where there's no 'old classmates/schoolmates'. And had a fresh start where I get to do what I want to do. :mrgreen:
Just a year or two to go before no one considers me a teenager anymore...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:02 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
I've never been one to succumb to peer pressure. In fact, the more I'm pressured to conform, the more I rebel.

did you ever get the impression that those pressuring you were also as human as you, but were being controlled by a mind virus that they were unaware of ?

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 10:26 pm

olympiadis wrote:
ImAnAspie wrote:
I've never been one to succumb to peer pressure. In fact, the more I'm pressured to conform, the more I rebel.

did you ever get the impression that those pressuring you were also as human as you, but were being controlled by a mind virus that they were unaware of ?

No. I think that's just what people do when they try to pressure you into doing certain things or to act a certain way. Perhaps they were jealous that I was free to do whatever I wanted and act however I wanted and they all had to stay in the herd.

That sounds more like it.

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2014, 1:52 am

olympiadis wrote:

Ever get the impression you're stuck in a loop?

But back to the topic..
I am an adult now and it's up to me to decide what that means to me. That only means conforming to someone else's expectations when I need something from them, otherwise I'm generally free to do what I want.