Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 5:05 am

Rocking back and forth all the time.
Slapping/patting myself all over, arms, chest, legs.
Making sounds, usually humming or kind of growling/purring.
I have a lanyard clipped to my belt loop, that I twist and wrap around my fingers at school to help tone down my more disruptive stims.

ICollectWatches
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2015, 6:33 am

Listening to the same song over and over.

pirrouline
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

Rocking from side to side, twirling my hair or grabbing sections of it and brushing it with my fingers, rotating my feet in circles while sitting, tapping my fingers or fingernails together, picking up objects and shaking them by rotating my wrists quickly

2cat007
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Mar 2015, 3:20 am

My stims are
- rocking back and forth and side to side
- biting my finger nails and toe nails
- chewing on items (like straws or the top of crayola marker)
- ripping paper apart with my hands

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 5:49 am

Rocking back and forth
Spinning in circles
Shaking my right hand
Bouncing my leg
Chewing on wooden objects
Picking at my skin/fingernails/lips
+ others too numerous to mention

peterrea
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

Flexing my fingers
Rubbing my head
Throat clearing noises
Repeating sounds that I hear
Biting my fingers
Drumming on the table
Flexing my neck muscles

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm

--Swiping away nonexistent dust at the desk or tables at which I sit (helps me think)

--Repositioning desk, table and shelf items, and furniture at parallel and perpendicular places (mostly OCD)

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm

Rocking when at a screen
Sitting on the floor pretzel style and rocking back and forth watch the movement around me or the marbles usually with something in my hands that makes noise: shaking a bracelet in my hands, passing marbles or other small similar things or bracelet hand to hand
If standing, rocking foot to foot or pacing while snapping anything I have (pens, buttons on wallets, anything that opens and closes) or spinning keys in the air
I look at photographs of people kind of repetitively. I often find myself pacing and rocking in front of walls of pictures or posters/bulletin boards while twiddling keys or whatever other noisy thing I have on me. If I don't have something, my hands or fingers are fidgeting. It's the faces themselves and also the motion of the reflections on the glass or gloss on the photographs. I've done that since childhood. It's one of my "strongest" ones.
Reading posters or signs over and over again and/or rocking back and forth in front of them, looking from one thing or word to the next in a rhythm or pattern. I do the same with pictures on walls.
Bouncing or bobbing on the outsides of my feet when wearing shoes while biting my lower lip and squeezing a finger or fingers in one hand.
Forcefully swinging coats or jackets or other clothing across my body over and over again.
Hitting or slapping my hands on my stomach one hand then the other over and over again. Sometimes while rocking foot to foot.
Standing against a wall and bouncing my back off of it.
Rubbing my arms.
Rocking foot to foot in a backwards circle with one foot being kind of stationary.
Staring at the ground and watching the light flicker and dazzle, watching all the mulch break up into separate pieces like I can them very separate and not as just a pile of mulch.
Dangling stuff over my eyes while lying on my back.
Rubbing my face, smacking my face and forehead, legs sometimes.
Lying on my back with my legs up and crossed at the ankles and bouncing them either alone or while rubbing my face or hitting myself in some way.
Nail biting, scalp picking, face picking (I suspect this is a dermatillomania thing which is common in OCD people)
Leg bouncing.
Looking at something and crossing my eyes in a form of relaxing them (this doesn't really qualify as a stim except that I tend to look at one thing and cross, then when it feels right, look at something else and cross again).
Lying on my back and rocking back and forth while doing stuff to my face especially smashing or rubbing it with my hands and making feelings and sounds in my throat.
Rubbing feet together to go to sleep.
Rocking backwards and forwards on one foot while letting the other swing out.

The list goes on... involving noise-making, repetitive music, pacing, opening and closing drawers while foot to foot, rocking with cabinet and fridge doors while watching them and hearing them, rubbing arms and legs while sitting, pulling my arms by tucking them under my legs while sitting. Looking at glass and glass objects while rocking. This could go on and on... :mrgreen:

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 4:30 am

I flap my fingers, four on the left hand and two on the right. or I flap a sock/handkerchief. I rock and pace back and forth. I rub my big toe against another toe.

I think flapping is very common in autism.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 7:52 am

My first memory of stimming was when I was about 4 or 5 (although I didn't know it was stimming until a few years ago but I knew it was weird even back then and hid it). I would rock my head from side to side on my pillow for ages.

My current stims are:

- dermatillomania (picking skin around fingers since I can remember. Picking heels, scalp);
    - dermatophagia (biting skin around fingers (since I can remember), finger tips, inside mouth lining. Chewing picked off skin. Feels good between my teeth);
    - smelling my fingers;
    - smelling my armpits;
    - smelling books;
    - rubbing/wringing my hands together and flexing my fingers;
    - rocking back and forth;
    - my carabiner (constantly opening and closing the gate - the sound drives people nuts);
    - fidgeting with my ID tag (on lanyard) at work;
    - pulling out facial hair;
    - talking to myself (although I don't personally consider this a stim - just good company :)) ;
    - listening to the same song over and over and over...;
    - listening to harmonics;
    - swinging my feet when sitting and dangling my legs;
    - tapping my fingers on things (like drumming);
    - dragging my hands along surfaces as I walk (this is also an old one from childhood);
    -watching shiny, spinning objects;

Some are more common than others.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

mental
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2015, 9:25 am

pacing
organising
running
talking to myself
clicking my tongue, making clicking (and other odd)( sounds)

wringing my hands
chewing on my lips

and many, many more :oops:

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 10:00 am

When i'm angry, I have an uncontrollable urge to twerk.

Ciphergarm

08 Mar 2015, 10:29 am

Mumbling repetitive words quietly to myself, sometimes offensive ones. Its kind of involuntary, I can't explain it but it makes me very nervous in public.

I walk in circles.

Wringing hands.