VERY upset when you can't find something

Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 May 2015, 10:13 pm

I totally relate! I often have mini-meltdowns when I can't find something small that I need, such as my pen, cell phone, notebook or paper, sharp knife, potato peeler, certain item of clothing, cooking ingredient and many other things that seem to have inexplicably gone missing for the time being almost like they're involved in a conspiracy! My response to losing stuff is definitely disproportionate to the event, as it takes a lot of time looking for the item. Quite often said item has landed on the floor or in a fairly inaccessible place.

Quite often I eventually find the item later when I've made do with another plan. Sometimes they're in a rather logical place or I seem to have overlooked it completely. Other times they are in a weird place. Raced out once to get another basic cell phone only to find the original one later in the day on the laundry basket in the bathroom! I had looked everywhere else.

Most folk are aware of the Missing Sock Syndrome and the high rate of separation among the sock family.

Years ago when with my friend I couldn't find my car in the parking lot after we watched a movie and I had rather a meltdown but a few minutes later we found the car was parked further along than I thought. I don't like large malls because it's so hard to find even a car in a huge lot where everything looks the same. For this reason I also hate shopping in a large city hypermarket, as it's so difficult to find the items you want. I'd rather go to a regular supermarket.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

17 May 2015, 3:05 pm

I get alittle frustrated but I don't get very upset.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 3:29 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
Me in a real emergency: cold as ice, calmly figuring out what needs to be done and doing it.

Me when I lose a pen: HOLY f**k THE WORLD IS ENDING WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME GOD

Yes, this. I get so flustered and frustrated I get violent urges to punch things when I can't find something, yet I have been in real emergencies and have been totally calm and collected...
It probably has to do with the fact that I'm usually really good at finding things, so when I can't, I feel like an utter failure at life?

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 3:42 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
Me in a real emergency: cold as ice, calmly figuring out what needs to be done and doing it.

Me when I lose a pen: HOLY f**k THE WORLD IS ENDING WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME GOD

Yes, this. I get so flustered and frustrated I get violent urges to punch things when I can't find something, yet I have been in real emergencies and have been totally calm and collected...
It probably has to do with the fact that I'm usually really good at finding things, so when I can't, I feel like an utter failure at life?

Yes, I think it's because we highly value our own competence. Any deviations are taken very seriously.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2015, 11:13 pm

I lose things all the time. Sometimes I just had something in my hand and then it is gone. I get so mad. I think it has to do with my in ability to keep organized. Things in my house are scattered everywhere. If something drops it will get lost very easily.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 1:43 am

I used to get pretty pissed off if I couldn't find something or if something was moved etc. But it's been a couple years since I really got frustrated with something like that. Now it's just a minor annoyance, I accept the situation for what it is and then move on.

Ie this evening I lost a stainless steel nut when I opened up a pair of vice-grips I was holding it with. I heard it rattle around, but couldn't find it anywhere. It was annoying to have lost it, but I know I can swing by Home Depot and buy a replacement for a few cents.

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 May 2015, 12:36 pm

It depends on what it is. If it's something extremely important... then yes, odds are I'm going to scream in frustration and complain while trying to find it. Most times, I'm usually more mellow about it though. I move on and wait for it to turn up, or I ask my parents if they may have seen it or moved it (However, their answer is always no).

I think the issue for me is that I lose things so often that unless it's got some sort of sentimental value, I'm not going to freak out over it being lost. I usually just stop searching for it and let it turn up on it's own. If it doesn't, then as long as it's not again of sentimental value, then I can replace it.

There was one year at my convention when I thought my favorite scarf I call Scarfy was gone. It was my comfort object at the time. We asked the front desk about it and whatever. I had a huge meltdown over it because it had so much value to me. We ended up finding it inside the covers when I went to sleep one night... luckily.

However, for games or something with less value, I just kind of shrug it off and move on... hoping one day it will turn up.

domanite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2015, 2:00 pm

Frustration leads to Anger; Anger leads to Hate; Hate leads to The Dark Side. :)

Seriously, though, frustration, especially unexpected frustration, makes me irrationally angry. Fortunately I don't have a problem with self-control, or my kids would be in big trouble every time they wait until they are heading out the door for the school bus, before telling me they need to find and return a library book that day.

ICollectWatches
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2015, 4:21 pm

I'm pretty sure I live in a broken universe, where the impossible is common. Losing things is just one manifestation. I think the universe was created to piss me off.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 4:43 pm

ICollectWatches wrote:
I'm pretty sure I live in a broken universe, where the impossible is common. Losing things is just one manifestation. I think the universe was created to piss me off.

It does collectively seek disorder, so you may be right.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 6:03 pm

does that mean we're not going to see a heat death?

Who_Am_I wrote:

lel same. granted, i follow the 'finders keepers' doctrine when it comes to writing utensils (haven't had to spend money on pens since august) so in that case, it's likely just bad karma coming to get me. i've gotten some pretty sweet felt tip pens that way though, if only for a day or two.

but my keys, my bloody keys. i lost the whole lot [bike, house, back gate, plus trinkets] for the 4th time last week. i was ready to blow my head off from the self pity, then i got my crap together...always have the clipped to inside of my backpack now.

to my art teachers, me losing my keys has become a bit of a meme.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2015, 6:06 pm

ICollectWatches wrote:
I'm pretty sure I live in a broken universe...

We all do. The Pythagorean Comma is proof that the universe is broken.

http://www.dubbhism.com/2013/08/musical ... monia.html

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 8:31 pm

I normally have specific places for specific things. I go berserk when my OCD parents or OCD sibling touch my stuff. They always complain that it doesn't look nice or that it looks messy.

elysian1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2015, 8:36 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:

Exactly. I have to know where my stuff is at all times, and I have a place and a system for everything. I don't like the order being disturbed. :heart: :skull:

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2015, 10:33 pm

dianthus wrote:
ICollectWatches wrote:
I'm pretty sure I live in a broken universe...

We all do. The Pythagorean Comma is proof that the universe is broken.

http://www.dubbhism.com/2013/08/musical ... monia.html

I loved the math-girl video.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 6:54 pm

VERY upset when I can't find something? Well, quite upset, yes. Doesn't stop me functioning or give me meltdowns, but I do hate it. I rarely lose anything (too careful), but I'm always misplacing things. I often have to deliberately calm myself down before I can find what I've misplaced.