Do aspies bash NTs because of jealousy/even hatred?

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

D0gbert
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2015, 6:50 pm

I suppose that is possible. An in-built instinct of human nature, hence all that stupid racism, sexism, xenophobia etc. Hate/fear things that we don't understand. Just as some NTs fail to understand us, hence marginalise etc, the opposite is probably true.

I still find NTs irrational and somewhat weird, but now seek to modify my own behaviour to meet half way, because let's face it, there are a lot more of them than us. It is also easier to change myself than others.

I may have expressed hatred when I was a kid, where I was tormented to kingdom come, though back then, I was unaware that I had Aspergers...

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 7:14 pm

Well, the reason aspies bash NTs is probably because of human nature. We may have differences, but we may have much more in common than we would like to admit. So it stands to reason that some aspies will "hate on" NTs.

Also, as was stated, negative experiences with NTs in the life of some people may leave them with a deep seated mistrust for anyone who doesn't think or reason like them. It's not a good thing, but understandable how that can happen. I knew a lady who chose to be a lesbian after being in an abusive heterosexual relationship. Her husband physically assaulted her, and she no longer felt safe in the intimate company of men... well that is what she explained to me. To her credit, she didn't go around bashing or hating on men. But she was internally traumatized, and that helped cause her to even consider a direction she might otherwise had never gone. And that's the point I'm trying to make.

I have generally had positive experiences with NTs, although you always have the "bad apples". Yes we operate on different wavelengths, and ways of processing our world, but that's not a good reason to bash or harbor hatred against anyone. If it wasn't for the "NTs" in my life, then I would probably be dead by now.

I think we should all meet each other half way and make efforts to bridge the gaps between us, within reason of course. I'm not saying we have to take on the more prevalent negative qualities typified by some NTs. But when you take residence in a foreign country, it's best to learn the language and culture as much as possible. Though because of your dialect, people may always be able to tell you're not from around :)

I say, "thank you" to all those lovely little NTs out there who have set aside their time and comfort to help me through difficult circumstances, and constantly provide me with support that they don't have to give. Those who take the time to teach me how to "fit in" with the foreign NT culture around me, to help me survive and succeed! :heart:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 7:21 pm

A lot of people who are of other races say a lot of nasty stuff about white people, but they think it's justified since they're right and we really are evil and to blame for everything.

Personally I think there is only one race, and that's human. But most humans are evil and to blame for everything.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 7:32 pm

Years of being physically and verbally bullied and ignored by some or many NT's will make many Autistics hate NT's as a whole, think all or most NT's are lesser people.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 8:45 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Fox and the grapes, they have what we want but can't have thus the natural response for some is to claim they never wanted at all and they suck. Pretty easy to understand.
As for me, having an MSEE and a six-figure salary of my own leaves little cause for envy of the average NT, and plenty of room for contempt.

GoodSenseAmelia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2015, 9:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
We bash "NTs" for their general lack of honesty, integrity, and sincerity.

- They seem more interested in comfortable lies than in uncomfortable truths.

- They preach virtue while practicing vice.

- They ask "How are you?", and then seem uncomfortable with anything other than a positive, feel-good response.

Otherwise, they seem alright.

pretty much what I was going to say. I believe in acceptance. I don't like people who cannot/will not accept me. Or who tell me that certain things are private (like stimming). On the other hand, generalization is impossible. 90% of the people I know are NT. And I do have NT friends who have even started a fan club for my teddy bear. I have learned to take the awesome with the unhealthy. I just wish they would mostly do the same for me!

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 10:08 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Personally I think there is only one race, and that's human. But most humans are evil and to blame for everything.

And I don't even think it is so much the individuals than the mind viruses that they host, and that ultimately control much of their behaviors.

People are people, but certain ideas (memes) are evil, because they are destructive.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 10:56 pm

I certainly don't feel I have any hate towards neurotypicals in general, but i have seen the sort of sentiment you are talking about...and have even gone out of my way to point out its unfair to judge all neurotypicals based on negative actions of some. I mean its just a neurotype, the one most people have...Kind of weird to think 'slur' every-time you see the term NT though...i mean in that case what do you feel is the politically correct term for neurotypicals or NTs?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 10:59 pm

Fnord wrote:

- They ask "How are you?", and then seem uncomfortable with anything other than a positive, feel-good response.

I thought those where general traits humans in general have though, not something specific to NTs.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 11:02 pm

i don't bash NT's. if you've met one NT, you know one NT.

Last edited by cathylynn on 19 Jul 2015, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 11:11 pm

cathylynn wrote:
i don't bash NT's. if you met one NT, you've know one NT.

Haha! So true. I love it! :)

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 11:18 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I thought those where general traits humans in general have though, not something specific to NTs.

Mmmmm... Yes, I totally agree. Even in my own life, I am uncomfortable when people give me a negative response to "How are you?" But mostly because I want to help, but don't always know how to best respond.

But when people ask me how I'm doing, I can't bear to say "good" if I really don't think I'm doing good.

All these things could be attributed to me personally, but I definitely don't identify as NT.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 11:36 pm

I don't bash NT's as a whole, as there are plenty who aren't bad at all. The majority of people aren't wholly bad, but like what I've experienced, more than a few try to mould us to their ideals, and I'm frankly sick of it. I'm tired of being expected to change, I'm tired of hearing people talk about what a "horrible disease" autism is and telling me my life is miserable because of it, while it's really they who make it worse. I have finally, after 30 years, accepted who I am, accept my quirks as being me, and I'm finally happy with who I am. I am happy with what I have accomplished, and I am tired of people trying to tell me my life is hell and I just don't know any better. I'm tired of hearing how so many people with kids that sound like me or my sons or my brother are feeding their kids bleach to "cure" them, and how these kids are suffering and trying to tell their parents but the parents refuse to listen. I've read so many depressing stories, and I'm tired of people thinking we don't know any better, that we're stupid, that we need their help, that *they* are the only ones who can save us, can change us, can make us fit what they think is "normal." I'm tired of people thinking that there's some sort of universal "normal" out there. I'm tired of being told to shut up and sit down, and being disrespected because of how my brain works. I am not a child, and I'm tired of people treating me like one because I cannot, will not, think like them.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2015, 11:37 pm

I can't speak for others, but I for one have certainly never envied NTs; their lives seem so bogged down by social irrelevancies that they put way too much stock in, and their interactions always seem so needlessly complicated, like none of them are capable of coming out and saying what they actually want to say (and yes, I know this is a generalisation). I would not say that I have ever "hated" NTs, but I will admit to being annoyed with them as a "species" from time to time, which is of course, another generalisation. I feel however that it is justified, or at least mitigated by the fact that many people I've come across lump all aspies together into categories such as "good at maths", "can't date/be in relationships", "lack empathy", etc. I mostly get annoyed with NTs when I discover another of their social rules which I'm required to follow, but which strikes me as petty, a waste of time, or utterly illogical. One such rule, as an example, would be the way they always have to greet each other by smiling and being nice, even if they hate the person they're greeting. They can't ignore them, or tell them what they find so disagreeable about the individual, they simply have to succumb to spending the rest of their lives pretending to like people they hate, which makes zero sense to me.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 12:38 am

olympiadis wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

And I don't even think it is so much the individuals than the mind viruses that they host, and that ultimately control much of their behaviors.

People are people, but certain ideas (memes) are evil, because they are destructive.

A very crusty, dyed-in-the-wool old Marxist once told me that he was sure that even the ruling class aren't evil people, just trapped in the system like the rest of us.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 2:54 pm

Until 2 years ago I did not know there was such a thing as neurotypical people. In the 55 years prior, approximately 98% of the people I interacted with were NT's. Among those were many so concerned with with their place in the social hierarchy they used any means necessary to keep it as high as possible. I did not like them. Others just did not give a s**t, other people were their priority.

Here on WP many posters complain about being forced by the NT world into the bottom of the social hierarchy. This shows me that plenty of autistics care about their place or lack of in the social hierarchy.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman