Who thinks Apsies are smarter than most NT's?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Are Aspies Smarter than most NT's
Yes 35%  35%  [ 34 ]
No 11%  11%  [ 11 ]
Depends 54%  54%  [ 52 ]
Total votes : 97

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 7:00 pm

I wouldn't say no-one is more intelligant, but I can remember stuff about some of my interests and every little detail and fact about it sometimes so it may be an autistic advantage, I.E music what type it is year etc.

chadders
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Apr 2007, 7:09 pm

With an emphasis on the word MOST in your question:

Average NT < (is less smart than) Average Aspie.

Reasoning, Aspie is at the Higher end of the Autism Spectrum. The Average NT would be better at social tasks than academic tasks.

That's my two pence worth.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 7:40 pm

I put 'It depends'. There are different types of smarts and the Aspie spectrum is wide, as is NTs.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 7:51 pm

I would say "It depends." If you take two people with equal academic accomplishments, the more socially adept person will win out. I have to find a way to work on my social development, so I can advance in my job.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 8:27 pm

My answer is: it depends.

Am I smarter than an NT? I would have to say absolutely not. Thanks to Dyscalculia, my math skills are atrocious. But most of the time, somehow - and I can't describe how - I can usually get to point "D" of a problem without having to go through points "B" and "C."

So does being able to leap frog problem solving processes make me smarter than an NT? NO WAY.

I consider the vast majority of the population smarter than myself.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 8:52 pm

HolidayonIce wrote:
High IQ does correlate.

Proof? Some theorists define Asperger's syndrome with a criterion of intelligence in the normal range and up (using low-functioning autism for the intellectually impaired person with autistic traits). Although this chops one end of the normal distribution of intelligence right off for AS, it doesn't mean aspies are much more likely to have a genius IQ than an NT. For evidence that having Asperger's syndrome need not correlate with intelligence, just take a look at some of the posts on this site (no offense). You'll see some cogent posts along with many more inane ones.

one_man_army
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2007, 9:04 pm

I say no since I know a few NTs that are smarter than I am. It's kind of funny how some Aspies talk about Aspergers like it's a cure for stupidity.

MolotovCocktail
Raven
Raven

02 Apr 2007, 9:06 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
HolidayonIce wrote:
High IQ does correlate.

Proof? Some theorists define Asperger's syndrome with a criterion of intelligence in the normal range and up (using low-functioning autism for the intellectually impaired person with autistic traits). Although this chops one end of the normal distribution of intelligence right off for AS, it doesn't mean aspies are much more likely to have a genius IQ than an NT. For evidence that having Asperger's syndrome need not correlate with intelligence, just take a look at some of the posts on this site (no offense). You'll see some cogent posts along with many more inane ones.

Ditto. I whole heartily agree with this one.

the-over-analyzed
Toucan
Toucan

02 Apr 2007, 9:53 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
For evidence that having Asperger's syndrome need not correlate with intelligence, just take a look at some of the posts on this site (no offense). You'll see some cogent posts along with many more inane ones.

True, there are some off-topic posts, but I think that overall the conversation on wrong planet forums is much more logical, intelligent and civil than on a typical web forum.
ya know what I mean?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 9:58 pm

the-over-analyzed wrote:
True, there are some off-topic posts, but I think that overall the conversation on wrong planet forums is much more logical, intelligent and civil than on a typical web forum.
ya know what I mean?

I'm going to have to disagree a bit. I have never seen so much spamming before! Sometimes I just wish there was a button to report it.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 10:01 pm

Probably most, but it all depends. First we would have to take some random samples of both NTs and Aspies. Of course we'd have to clearly define what it means to be an Aspie and an NT before drawing the samples. Then have each sample take an IQ test and then compare the scores. Then we could formulate an answer.

Crosser
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2007, 10:12 pm

Really, it depends, I mean I'm pretty smart, but my sister doesn't have AS and she's a human machine who sacrificed a social life in order to get into a great colledge. I could have been as smart as her, but I choose not to take the road that she took of sacrifice and 5pm-5am studying. So if you say I'm smart for staying on the easy trail so I could have a social life or dumb for not taking the hard trail like my sister, it's up to you.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 11:27 pm

No, but I think that the vast majority of the population consists of poeple with sub-room-temerature IQs.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2007, 11:42 pm

ahayes wrote:
No, but I think that the vast majority of the population consists of poeple with sub-room-temerature IQs.

The vast majority of the population makes a religion out of behaving at far below their intelligence level.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2007, 5:46 am

My intuition is that, since autistics take the low end of our IQ range out of consideration, the average IQ of aspies tends to be higher. Might be more than just this though.

tyb
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Apr 2007, 6:47 am

No. The people who presume that are generalizing "big time." Sure, you have to have an IQ over 100 (or lower, I can't remember at the moment) to not be classified as mentally ret*d and to be able to get the diagnosis Asperger syndrome, but you cannot assume that aspies are highly intelligent in general.