13 Apr 2007, 12:48 pm

I think you may be missing the point.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 1:05 pm

chairbreak wrote:
I think you may be missing the point.

If you are referring to MY post, I only spoke against William Gates III(AKA Bill Gates). Everything I said WAS/IS true! It is just that many are exposed to his stuff because he got support from IBM and will do ANYTHING to sell.

Steve

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Apr 2007, 1:52 pm

I meant you missed the point of my post. My post wasn't about Bill Gates, it was about the fact that Aspies have made major contributions to the arts and sciences. You may dislike Bill Gates but it's difficult to deny that he's been hugely successful in his endeavors.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 Apr 2007, 2:07 pm

i would have to say our taste in music is much better than everyone elses

Spartan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Apr 2007, 3:02 pm

Before I ever found out about AS I almost believed I could possibly be the only objective person on the face of the planet, because everybody I knew had a consistent, unwavering, despicable way of judging things prematurely, which never fails to get on my nerves. Be they little or be they large, they'd always be quick to come to the conclusion, not bothering to consider whether they might be wrong.

If there's one thing to be desired about being Aspie, it's objectiveness, because this leads to fairness. An Aspie society would be heaven; we'd all respect each other (well, most of us) and we'd rarely jump to hasty conclusions about anything.

Also it's made me a very visual person; I draw really well, excellent with directions, beautiful visualization, creativity, and overall intelligence. It's a really good deal, I can't complain.

-Carl Sagan

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 3:27 pm

Good and useful traits

Honest
Reliable
Hardworking
Focussed
Accepting
Independent
Logical
Practical
Quick mind
Intelligent

There are other good things but I am nearly out of time on here tonight

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2007, 3:41 pm

chairbreak wrote:
I meant you missed the point of my post. My post wasn't about Bill Gates, it was about the fact that Aspies have made major contributions to the arts and sciences. You may dislike Bill Gates but it's difficult to deny that he's been hugely successful in his endeavors.

M/S was dishonest and did a lot through trickery and just SALES!

I don't dispute that AS probably helped the world a LOT, and that most here are misjudged/mistreated/undereducated(meaning we can learn SO much more)/etc... I was just saying BG isn't a good example! Anyway, You're right! Let's talk about the POSITIVE!

Steve

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 4:20 pm

Let's see:

I've got obsession down to an art form, which comes in handy when I am interested in something.
    I am slightly more impervious to peer pressure than my peers.
    I think differently.
    I do not give in to appease the crowd; I stick to my guns if I know I am right.
    I am very intelligent.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 4:31 pm

analytical
abstract
can do things that makes sense rather than what is 'natural'
free thinking
problem solving
honesty
rocket boosters
charm
good looks :?:

scott
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Apr 2007, 7:33 pm

Pro's:
*Good memory
*Have specific subject
*Better senses
*does not support
*Better at thinking
*Does not have to worry about social stuff
*More logical then emotional
*99.9% nerd
Con's
*99.9% nerd
*Has virtually no social life(although I think this is good)
some other stuff

SunChild1969
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Apr 2007, 7:39 pm

For me:
intense focus
higher appreciation of music and art
creativity (maybe)
good memory skills
a different way of seeing the world
visual thinking
independence and contentment with being by myself

willem
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 2:34 am

- richness of sensory experience
- brain like the jaws of a pitbull (won't let go until the question is answered, the problem solved, the matter understood, and new questions asked)
- intimacy with reality and not with belief systems ("theories of mind"); independence from language, cultural norms and social instincts
- access to subconscious, ability to apply different ways of thinking, understanding of non-human points of view
- vivid recollection of anything ever paid close attention to (through seeing, touching, tasting, smelling; not through hearing)
- low level of neediness, appreciation of repetitiveness (survival = adaptive repetition)

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 2:56 am

The internal pain I feel (due to the supposed autism) completely overshadows any good....any positives that it may relinquish to me is as good as nothing.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2007, 5:24 am

I'm honest and always try to find the good in people.
I have a unique perspective
I have a wonderful, colourful inner world and I really, really appreciate that.

invivo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2007, 8:08 am

I question everything
my obseesions led me into many an abyss, but I consider that positive as it brings me closer to truth
in the right enviroment or job could do good, as I have no private life whatsoever

JacsonNathaniel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2011, 9:26 am

For my kindergarten teacher, her measure of intelligence was if a student could tie his shoes. My measure of intelligence was if a kindergartner could read the newspaper. I was sure my higher standards were better. Of course sand box was a challenging time.

In 5th grade the teacher and I mostly left each other alone. Among other personal projects I read the encyclopedia set in the room.

I could naively be friends with the Negro students (early 1960s) and be shocked and devastated when my mother and step-father threatened to kick me out of the house for it.

Sometimes I wear jeans when others seen to think I should be wearing a coat and tie. I still usually put on a sport coat to go to the symphony even though many people do not.

Since I am not always sure when to be nice and when not to I usually just try to be friendly all the time. Usually I am and it works out pretty well.

I am what I jokingly refer to as "pack loyal" (we have several rescue dogs so sometimes use unusual terms).

I tend to view lying to be as bad. Of course this means sometimes people are not happy with me.

I tend to sometimes see patterns others do not.

I drove over to Illinois to adopt a dog that has lived its' life for the first two years as a feral dog. Of course everyone thought I had totally lost my mind. From having this dog I have learned about adaptability among other things. I have learned to be thankful and appreciative from him. He was a wild dog and with his brother lived the free life. What a great life, but not according to him.

Syndrome may mean "a group of signs and symptoms that occur together and characterize a particular abnormality." Yes, sometimes I am considered eccentric. Sometimes honesty is not appreciated. Besides sometimes being considered eccentric and smart is often fun.

Sometimes I need not care what others think of these things.