Page 2 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 3:28 am

I saw a documentary on tv years ago about a boy trapped in a 40 year old body & mentally he grows every 5 years.

Intellectually I can't understand things I used to know that make me feel so dumb.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 10:02 am

BeaArthur wrote:
.....with whom I hope to ride off into the sunset of dementia together.
"Shane...Shane!! Don't leave....wait...who was that? Oh well....mmmmm...you smell guuuddd..."

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 10:47 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I saw a documentary on tv years ago about a boy trapped in a 40 year old body & mentally he grows every 5 years.

That is fascinating.

Quote:
Intellectually I can't understand things I used to know

What do you mean?

Wreck It Ralph

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 10:49 am

skibum wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
No

The idea of set behavior for a given age is just stereotypical nonsense. We all learn things at our own pace based on when we encounter life enriching scenarios. See the young man sittin' in the old man's bar, waitin' for his turn to die. :skull:
Perhaps, but they have found actual physiological differences in the brain which show that the Autistic brain is actually emotionally younger than its NT counterpart.

Somehow I doubt that, links?

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2016, 12:24 pm

Being 26 and back at college with a bunch of 18 years olds, I can lose track of my age. Sometimes I feel like I'm one of them, but other times I think they are immature and stupidly naive. Mental age is really flexible, and can vary massively depending on mood, subject, and experience. One minute I can be messing around at college and be like an 18 year old, then next minute a different subject of conversation can come up, and I'm talking about it like a veteran.

Illangelo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2016, 12:35 pm

I look rather young for my age at least from what I've been told. As far as my maturity it all depends on how I'm feeling that day. Sometimes i feel like an old soul, other times i still feel like my 16 year old self. Though I imagine most NT's deal with this as well.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 1:28 pm

Feyokien wrote:
No

The idea of set behavior for a given age is just stereotypical nonsense. We all learn things at our own pace based on when we encounter life enriching scenarios. See the young man sittin' in the old man's bar, waitin' for his turn to die. :skull:

This. In our western culture, "adult" traditionally in no small part means being focused on sex, manipulation, social climbing, status, power, control, and a fair amount of dishonesty. We are taught that those are things to strive for, and that being socially skilled means being adept at all of them without overtly letting other people know, and those attributes are something a successful adult attains while children are on the pathway to learning how to be like that. Personally , that all sounds pretty miserable to me and I'm happy to accept the label "immature" if it means I don't have to be like that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 1:54 pm

skibum wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
No

Perhaps, but they have found actual physiological differences in the brain which show that the Autistic brain is actually emotionally younger than its NT counterpart.

I'd like to see that study/report, as I don't recall hearing about that.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to look lots younger than my age. Then, I hit my late 40's--- and I caught up fast--to my detriment! Now, I look about 55, and I'm 55.

People should glory in looking young for their age.

I remember reading some early autism research studies which couldn't find any proof of so-called elvish facial features among children and young adults with autism. Regardless of the absence of proof, the fact that they researched the idea appears to a confirmed some kind of anecdotal perceptions.

Anyway, yeah, I was ID'd every single time I entered a bar or bought an alcoholic beverage -- until about 10 years ago when, at age 43 or 44 years, my hair went mostly white. Those checking my ID always commented on my appearance. Most of them were half my age. Some asked for dates. Not anymore. :|

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm

I don't feel mentally younger per say, at least not enough to where adult situations are foreign to me or that I'd be disturbed by movies that aren't child friendly. I wouldn't say I fit the conventional stereotype of a typical adult female, which could certainly cause me to come off as less mature or younger around them. I do tend to look younger than I am or at least enough to where people comment on it. I am really into metal music and will never give up the metal t-shirts regardless of how old I get so there is that.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2016, 3:06 pm

I can only speak for myself but I do not believe my chronological age. It's gotten to the point where sometimes when I am taking a survey I will put the previous year. It takes me a while to process that yes I had a birthday recently. I know that they say age is just a number but still...nothing about it really makes sense. It whizzed by too fast for me to have lived that long.
Emotionally I would say I'm younger. I have more childish interests. I do watch adult television but my favorite shows are often targeted towards teens and I still like some teen shows. I also find that some things bother me easier than the average person. Developmentally I'm younger. People say I look younger too. Intellectually in some ways I am older though. I have been told by a few people I am wise. I also seem to have a stronger work ethic than many adults. Many adults want to work just for the money but I want to work to be proud of myself and not have to burden anyone. I have been told sometimes I should be grateful that I live with my mom and don't have to worry about bills. I sorta see their point but what a ridiculous statement. It's like if they want it so bad then maybe they should switch lives with me. Many adults also don't seem to know how to respect others. They complain about children/teenagers being ridiculous yet they are the same way except worse because they should be old enough to know better. They are immature in a bad way but my immaturity is mostly harmless yet I am the one that is ridiculed. For example when I complained about poor service to my cable company I was called a child I was so tempted to say I may be mentally a child but at least I'm not as much of a b***h as you are.
My physical health though it seems to be older than my age. I guess it is the stress of being disconnected to the rest of the world but it's still mind boggling. My ticker is fine or appears to be but my stomach makes me feel very old at times.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I used to look lots younger than my age. Then, I hit my late 40's--- and I caught up fast--to my detriment! Now, I look about 55, and I'm 55.

People should glory in looking young for their age.

I understand that. It would suck to get wrinkles and it's preferable to have a mostly slim body in many ways but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. When I'm trying to get a job it's hard for me to be taken seriously. Maybe if it was just my face that was youthful it would be okay but having a baby face AND lack of work experience makes it hard. Also as a woman it is hard in a way to have a slim body and a baby face because then you are more likely to be used.
Maybe I would accept it more if the inside of my body still felt young. I miss when I had more energy.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 3:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I'd like to know what magical instrument they have that can read "emotional age" in the human brain and what set of units it's in.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2016, 3:14 pm

I meant to say "I still like some children's shows" up there but the dang thing won't let me edit because it keeps going to the captcha.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 4:35 pm

I´m 62. People look surprised, when I tell them. My bones and lungs are in the early 40es and I feel more like I´m in the 30es..... the 40es, when I´m tired and desillusioned.......but when I see a close-up of myself.....o´- oh! 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 6:56 pm

I've seen plenty of people with autism.

And I can say, for certain, that few or none of them had "elfish" features. In the vast majority of cases, they looked "normal"--sometimes, the boys looked a little more "delicate" than "normal" boys, though. There is a tendency for people with autism to look somewhat younger than their chronological age--but that's far from universal.

The ones that do probably, pardon me for saying this, probably have some other disorder in addition to their autism.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 7:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
skibum wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
No

http://autism-help.org/behavior-socio-emotional-development.htm
Quote:
Margaret Bauman, M.D. has found neurological evidence that indirectly supports the relationship between brain functioning and social-emotional age. Dr. Bauman has conducted numerous autopsies on the brains of autistic children and adults. She has consistently found immaturities in the amygdala and hippocampus; both are parts of the limbic system. The amygdala is responsible for many aspects of one’s behavior including emotions, aggression, and sensory processing. The hippocampus is also responsible for things including learning, memory, and the integration of sensory information.

According to Dr. Bauman, the amygdala and hippocampus are functioning in autistic individuals; but they are less developed. For example, a 10-year old child may have an amygdala similar to a three-year old. Interestingly, those with Asperger Syndrome and high functioning autism have abnormalities in their amygdala, but they have little or no abnormalities in their hippocampus. In other words, intellectual functioning (associated with the hippocampus) is only mildly impaired or not impaired at all; however, emotional functioning (associated with the amygdala) is impaired and may be responsible for immature emotional reactions in social situations.

By taking into account one’s social-emotional age, and not intellectual age, it may be much easier to understand why the individual acts the way he/she does. Additionally, it may be much easier to develop ways to help individuals who have discrepancies between their social-emotional level and their intellectual level. By being aware of possible differences, one can teach these individuals how to behave appropriately in different social-emotional situations.