Is forum like crowded airport?problematic pragmatics + poll

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Unwritten rules here?
Poll ended at 18 Feb 2016, 6:15 am
Do members need to do something special to get more replies and start conversations? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Do pictures in avatars matter for starting and maintaining conversations? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Does getting to know people matter? 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Are conversations not really the point? 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Other - if other, please tell more in a reply! 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 9:35 am

I tend to only read threads that the title seems interesting, sometimes the post isn't so I don't read further, sometimes the post is so long I can't even read it.

If you do post something which is lots of words put paragraphs in or the words just merge into a big jumbled mess.

As for the getting to know people thing, I recognise people and if it's their thread or they were the last post on it, it makes me more likely to click on it. There's some who I recognise by username and others by their avatar, so if people change it I get slightly confused at first before I realise who it is.

If you post a new thread it's helpful for it to have something that people can answer. Often someone posts something but there is no actual question or anything that can really be answered and I have no idea what to do them sometimes, even though the post is looking for an answer.