Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 7:21 am

No known history of autism in my family. Including extended family. My great grandfather was "manic depressive", what's now called bi-polar I believe. And that's all for anything DSM.

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2016, 8:14 am

I have it, but not my brother.
My mum and dad both have it.
My dad was an only child.
My dads dad (my grandfather) has it, but not my dads mum (my grandmother).
My dads dad dad (my great grandfather) has it, but it's unknown beyond that.
My mums sister (my aunt) has it, but not her brother (my uncle).
My aunts son (my cousin) has it, but not the other son (cousin).
My mums mum (my grandmother) doesn't have it, my mums dad might (my grandfather), but he's undiagnosed.
Mu mums grandparents (my other great grandparents) is unknown, and all is unknown beyond them.

Hope this helps and you can all make sense of it. A family tree would've been better. I don't have contact with any of my relatives due to family disputes when I was really young. My family split from them all.

TL;DR yes there is a strong trend of autism from both sides of my family, with around a third being diagnosed.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 8:47 am

My grandmother had Schizophrenia and developed it soon after her 4th and last child was born and spent a majority of her adult life in a hospital and died from a heart attack in 2004, ALL my aunts have anxiety as well as my dad, my grandfather is a recovering alcoholic as well as my great uncle and my great grandfather, my great great grandfather. My dad is a co-dependent and a shut in, he doesn't really leave his house unless hes visiting me, and other than that hes quite paranoid and has Social Phobia.

My mom has Borderline Personality Disorder and stopped paying attention to me when i was 5. She used to scream at me and my sister a lot, she never laid a hand on me but she hit my sister a lot, who also has Borderline. My mother is also addicted to gambling, thats why she wasn't around for a majority of my childhood or teenage years. she moved away in 2012 to move to alberta. she was adopted so nothing is known about her medical or mental family history.

as far as i know i am the only one that is autistic, however on a distant side of my family there are 3 autistic people but they're barely related to me or my father, they're like 3rd or 4th cousins to me. There is some debate if my 1st cousin on my dads side is autistic but its very hard to say.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm

I have two cousins on the spectrum, but they both were adopted. There is a lot of belief in my family that my mom's father was on the spectrum too, but he is the only blood relative of mine that is on the spectrum with some form of Autism.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2016, 1:45 am

My son is autistic, I believe I am as well. I used to think it came from my mother's side...her brother without a doubt is autistic and never diagnosed. He's extremely intelligent as well but was always made to feel bad because of his poor social skills, although he is an extremely nice and caring person. No doubt he's autistic. He has a son who has been in the military for about 25 years and is also extremely smart. His son has a child diagnosed with autism. Talking to his son, he told me that he didn't see any issues with his son because they were so much alike. My uncle also has a daughter that without a doubt is also autistic, again, on the very high end of the spectrum. One of her sister's son also has many autism characteristics, although he has never been diagnosed because his mother thinks he's just a PITA...he's the only one that my uncle, his grandfather, can deal with...lol On my father's side I wasn't too sure, but little by little yes, it's there as well. My cousin was always different and I remember we would all play together at my grandma's house, but although he was our age, he was always in his own world. His sister has an autistic child. Another of my cousins from the same side, again always in the military, extremely smart. I still remember his meltdowns when he was little, his uncontrollable sobbing, but he talked and was smart, so we kind of played together. His daughter told me a while back she was diagnosed as autistic at age 3, but her parents did not believe the doctors back then and she never received any support. Now I look at my father and think he has many of the same traits. I think my mother has some traits, but also has AD/HD. My brother without a doubt also would've been diagnosed as autistic, he's seeing it little by little now. No real friends throughout school, etc. yet extremely smart as well. His daughter does not have a diagnosis, but the older she gets, the more I see the resemblance with my son. My sister has 3 kids and I believe at least one is fully autistic and was never diagnosed. She also has a grandchild and without a doubt that grandchild is exactly like my son was at his age. My sister and parents are ignoring the signs and I'm just waiting for him to go to school for him to be diagnosed, no doubt. Even as far back as my mother's uncle and my grandfather, can I see some traits. It's all over the place in my family. The reasons above are not the only reasons why I think they are autistic, it's just a general idea, but no doubt, most have all or more of the characteristics my son and I have. PS my parents are second cousins...ugh, yes, I know...hmmm thus the reason I see it on both sides...ugh

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2016, 1:59 am

Suspect my father and his father were autistic. I have two cousins on my fathers side of the family diagnosed with Aspergers. I have have a nephew diagnosed with ADHD that I suspect. My sister and brother have stronger then average autistic traits but I do think they are missing enough criteria not to be autistic.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Mar 2016, 6:21 pm

My autism could come from my mother's dad and/or from my father's side of the family since I haven't met any of his relatives. My mother suspected that my autism could come from my father but he shows signs of an antisocial personality disorder, paranoia and querulant behavior rather than autism. My aunts and my uncle and their children don't have autism but one of my cousins suffer from a borderline personality disorder (and I think depressions though I can't really remember). Although me and my mother sometimes think similar she doesn't have any traits. The same goes for my siblings. One of my brothers has ADHD but that's it.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm

My Brother is also autistic, so since statistically 66.7% of my Siblings have it. The Probability is pretty high I'm Convinced it comes from my dad's side. Mostly cause of my Father who had Dementia. He also had a "Tic" With his leg, Which apply for stimming.