Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 12:00 pm

I've always connected with animals. My best friend in early childhood was my cat.

I used to go to friends homes and spend more time playing with their pets than talking with my friends.

Most animals seem to like me. Especially cats. I don't view it as telepathy, because I don't believe in it. I read the body language of cats and facial expressions very well. I also mimic their body language. I can understand what they want from how they behave, even when it's more subtle.

To me, they are much easier to read than people. Spending time with them is enough to figure them out. Good observation skills and attention to detail mean that I notice more about how animals behave than most. I also think of them as being people, and as equals.

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2016, 12:17 pm

I can definitely relate with a lot on these lists.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2016, 12:18 pm

spinelli wrote:
What? Can't handle animals. What nonsense. Cats are much easier to deal with than people. Same with parakeets.

I don't like to take walks, so having a dog wouldn't work. I can't stand cleaning litter boxes, so having a cat would not work. I hate shrill or sudden sounds, so birds don't work.

So for me, can't handle animals is more like I can't handle their needs. (I am working on overcoming a fear of dogs as well).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 12:27 pm

how about a fish?

Wreck It Ralph

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 12:33 pm

Most of them apply. A few don't anymore because I pay more attention (like my hair).

Job: clear problems.

Relationships: obviously.

Little I heard "a little autistic", by people close, I know I was tested for lots of things, yet undiagnosed now in spite of clearly debilitating problems. Have a diagnosis here...

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2016, 12:45 pm

Most of it describes me pretty good. Is there such a list for males with autism?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 12:52 pm

I have never seen one for males specifically but I think the traditional ones for Autism/Asperger's are male based. That is why people started to make female specific lists.

Wreck It Ralph

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 12:58 pm

For Yigeren, absolutely agree with that, and cats in particular. Lots of NTs never really see cats facial expressions claiming they're all the same, I find them way more understandable. I have a thing with cats too. And I hate NTs right now...

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 1:05 pm

Are you serious??? There are people who honestly think cat's facial expressions are all the same? Cats are some of the most expressive animals I have seen. Facial expressions, vocal expressions, body movement expressions, they are wonderfully expressive. I can't believe people can't see that.

Wreck It Ralph

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 1:26 pm

^^^ Oh yes I am.

Cats are cold, unexpressive, independent (not like dogs)... And regular other crap like that.

I agree very much with your comment.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2016, 1:27 pm

I had many and can totally see how much their facial expressions vary. The same goes with dogs.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

It's easier to read animal's faces because there's nothing in between what they have inside and what they express. No fake, manipulation, no confusion.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 2:18 pm

Yeah, all the cats I have ever had or known are amazing at expressing. They are more independent than dogs and some can be snooty sometimes but the ones I have known are very affectionate and wonderful. They do like to be left alone when they need alone time but who doesn't need that! Horses are the same way. Even the dogs I have known go be alone or ignore people whenever they need to.

Wreck It Ralph

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2016, 2:24 pm

skibum wrote:
how about a fish?

Blech on tank clean out.

We are likely going to get a dog within the next year for my 'son'. My husband thinks he should have a dog, but my son HATES dogs. So the dog will end up being my dog. So I am looking through dog breeds to know what we should be looking for in a dog that will suit us. We would get a shelter dog, but I still like to know what I'm looking for. (Ok, I'm obsessive - which I probably don't have to explain - so I have been researching breeds to make a list that would actually be ok).

Bonus is that since my husband wants a dog, he can clean the poop from the yard. :lol: I have also decided that we should not get a puppy. I don't do housebreaking well.

We would get a cat, and let my daughter clean the box, but they do not listen about not letting animals out, and our last cat died tragically. While she was spiteful, she was sweet.

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2016, 8:06 pm

I can relate to the table a fair bit. E.g. the androgynous traits. I don't ever wear makeup or dress in 'feminine' styles. I do not agree with the gender labels put on everything and the gender roles women (and men) are pressured into.

I do however think some points are very presumptive. The thing with autism, regardless of male or female, is that everyone on the spectrum is different.

I wonder why they mention the gastro-intestinal problems. I have IBS and acid reflux issues, but how do they connect these problems with autism and autistic women? Any one know?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 8:45 pm

I have had acid reflux since I was tiny.

Wreck It Ralph