Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RythmRedd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2016, 7:57 pm

Well, I have high functioning aspergers syndrome, if that's what you mean by mildly autistic.

I mean, I guess it's kind of a blessing and a curse in some ways.

I'm aware enough of how neurotypicals think to understand the world the way that they do, and I can carry on a conversation well enough when I'm comfortable enough around people. But the downside is that even though i've gotten to a point where I feel like I accept myself and I feel as though I can have a life like everyone else, I still feel more different than i'd like to. I used to have my family explain to people why I do odd things that people understand, but now that i'm older and responsible for myself, I'M the one explaining my idiosyncrasies to people.

I hope that helps.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2016, 7:35 am

I have something like Asperger's and my brother has mild autism and I think they are different.

I read adult books and YA fiction like Harry Potter, while my brother has never gone beyond children's books since he can't comprehend any fiction beyond that, though my mum tried to get him to borrow my Harry Potter books once.

PeachCastella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2016, 4:44 pm

f**k YOU b***h AND f**k THIS SITE

Awkward
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Nov 2016, 4:45 pm

PeachCastella wrote:

go to doctor fast. u are having a meltdown

Lioncash
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Nov 2016, 5:14 pm

mild autism? 0.o you either are or you're not... it's that simple for me.. their is no mild. It's who you are. I'm not a f*****g criteria.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 10:05 pm

It's fun for the most part. I have an interesting, pea flavoured way of looking at the world. I like pea-like characters and pea green. I'm also working on some Sweet Pea art right now, doing green and blue drawings of Sweet Peas doing different things.

I have a unique way of expressing myself. I like to wear clothes that are gender neutral usually in the colours, green and blue. I also wear a blue German helmet sometimes. I wear the helmet to pay homage to Sgt. Schultz from Hogan's Heroes because that character and I are similar in a lot of ways.

I work at a local bank 10 hours out of the week. I greet people and I do a lot of paper work as well. I enjoy my job very much.

I have two really close friends that I like to do things with and I don't feel that I need more friends than I already have.

I like to listen to a variety of music. I'll listen to every song at least once before deciding if I like it or not.

Christmas is my favourite holiday. It's been a lifelong favourite and special interest as well.

I've had some special interests that were pretty interesting throughout my life span
Bunnies
Spider Man
Leprechauns
Ladybugs
The penis
Bike riding
The Dukes of Hazard
The Summer and Winter Olympics
The United States of America
Soviet Russia
Britain
London
The Beatles
Hippies and the Late 60s
Swinging London and Carnaby Street
The Kinks
Austin Powers movies
Sid from Flushed Away
Punk Rockers and the Late 70s
Peahawk, Om Nom and Cut the Rope
Sgt. Schultz and Hogan's Heroes (Schultz reminds me of Sid and myself) :O)
Germany
The Holocuast
WWII

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 4:28 pm

PeachCastella wrote:

You wanna get banned?

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 12:16 am

I remember what someone said about having only 'mild' autism, when your whole life has been impacted dreadfully by the condition, you grow to abhor the term 'mild'. I've only been one step away from the asylum most of my life, not because I'm insane but because I've struggled heinously to stay afloat or function enough to be considered able to remain on this side of the fence... there's that infuriating thing with autism where it affects and protrudes and clogs so many angles and territories in your brain that it's almost impossible to appreciate the extent of the mud until you're stuck in it, it may be a milder form but that in itself creates countless problems. I'd never dismiss anyone suffering bipolar 2 as 'only' having a milder form of bipolar, it's a terrible word 'mild'.

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Nov 2016, 12:50 am

In short: mild autism is when other people can't really tell that you have autism, and you are semi-independent. In the DSM I'm pretty sure there are these three "levels" which categorize the severity of a persons Autism, level one would be classed as mild.

Level 1: “Requiring support”
Without supports in place, deficits in social communication cause noticeable impairments. Difficulty initiating social interactions, and clear examples of atypical or unsuccessful responses to social overtures of others. May appear to have decreased interest in social interactions. For example, a person who is able to speak in full sentences and engages in communication but whose to-and-fro conversation with others fails, and whose attempts to make friends are odd and typically unsuccessful.

. The signs were all there for me growing up, but when I got older I've learned to manage and hide it from other people. Almost nobody knows I have this; at worst, a few teachers over the years though I may have been an aspie. It wasn't until I took the AQ test myself, and looked back throughout my life, to which I came to the self-conclusion that I have autism.

To put it a different way, it's basically just Aspergers but with the addition of asociality, mild IQ deficit, occasional monotone speech, usually a high level of verbal ability, some lack of eye contact, awkward but not inept etc.

Another interesting thing to mention about having an ASD is that, by definition, almost everyone has a bit of autism (i.e. they score >0 on the AQ test), but not enough for a full diagnosis. I scored 32 personally, which has stayed steady when I've re-taken the test in the future.

know what I mean?

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)