Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 12:44 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
The foot part can vary but it does seem to be a holdover from childhood toe walking. Adults will change this into different foot postures as they grow up.

Rigid arms is pretty common. Neurotypicals let their arms swing "naturally" (what does that mean?) as they walk. You can see some autistic people swing their arms robotically, as they try to mimic a natural swing.

The walk is something that people pick up on, even if they don't know much about autism.

The next time you're in a place where many people are walking, such as a mall or school, try sitting down somewhere and observing people walking. Keep in mind that you will also see some autistic people, but most of the people will be neurotypical. You should get a good idea of what a "natural swing" and what "natural footsteps" look like and how to mimic them if you want to.

There is also the option of simply recognizing that this is a unique aspect of being on the spectrum and letting it go. There's nothing wrong with walking differently. I walk differently myself sometimes. I have a neurological disease and it makes me walk like a drunk person on bad days.

ive certainly noticed that i walk very differently from most people, but ill have to try this observation, it might be really interesting to do (without me getting hit or shouted at for staring hopefully haha)

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 5:41 pm

I toe walk as much as I walk with my heels down and always have done, I don't realize when I'm doing it much of the time, almost daily I end up comprehending once or twice that I am actually springing about and think 'there I go again'. I automatically spring onto them even if I'm not in alert mode or riding out a hyper burst, it seems to be an extension of my expression in certain moods more than others, it's also a sensory thing cause I much prefer exploring barefoot even outside in the field and when I'm walking the dog around the block, I like to hop from one place to the other rather than walk because it doesn't stimulate me enough or whatever.

Jhob5
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jul 2016, 3:40 pm

im too busy being in my head to notice people