YES or NO NVLD (you can read faces, body language, etc.)

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm

Tears of joy always baffles me. Every time I've cried, it was because I was very sad or in pain. I still can't comprehend how someone can cry when they're extremely happy.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

10 Jul 2016, 7:39 am

saxgeek wrote:
Tears of joy always baffles me. Every time I've cried, it was because I was very sad or in pain. I still can't comprehend how someone can cry when they're extremely happy.

This! Its hard enough to react appropriate when someone cries because of pain, but im totally overwhelmed when someone cries out of joy. I just cannot understand it. Its a super rare thing for me to cry (under 5 times in 10 years) at all and when it happens its because i saw something extremely sad to me (The ending of the videogame "Life is Strange" for example) or im in very extreme pain. Ive read that it happens because people get so overhwelmed by their joy that they need to do something to counter it for mainting a emotional balance, but i still dont know what to do when i encounter this...

Peace
TK

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 8:00 pm

I think I have NVLD. Sometimes, I think it fits me better than the ASD diagnosis because I don't have special interests, but I have mild sensory issues and meltdowns. I also did pretend play as a child.

Other than meltdowns, reading facial expressions and body language is my biggest issue. Also, I have difficulty with visual-spatial tasks. For example, I get lost a lot, so much that it is embarrassing.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 7:57 am

Nonverbal learning disability is separate from autism and characterized as a learning disability.

While some people with NVLD cannot pick up on nonverbal social cues they also have difficulty interpreting photos and graphs. Visual examples when in math often do not help someone with NVLD (at least thats how it was explained to me)

Not picking up on social cues of any kind is usually required for a diagnoses of autism, this includes tone of voice, facial expressions, body language, metaphors, and subtle hints.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 1:07 pm

I'd say I'm "in between."

I'm not sure how bad I was, but over the years, I've learned to better spot non-verbal cues and have the presence of mind to react appropriately to them. Of course, the more tired/unfocused I am, the more likely I am to miss them or not properly respond.