Why so many people think Asperger/ADHD person are dump?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 12:09 am

I think it's because of the way that we act and our different ways of doing things.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 12:56 am

johnnyh wrote:
They think we are because of the executive dysfunction, poor generalization, inability to gather information from context, inability to perform actions subconsciously with ease, and tendency to focus on details instead of the bigger picture. All this among other impairments such as memory and understanding cause and effect. On the other hand we often have a lot more depth and consistency in our beliefs than NTs, so why not have the good and none of the bad?

I can agree with "poor generalization", which is prevalent on these forums.

Last edited by Ichinin on 03 Aug 2016, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 12:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....it turned out that the "real Rainman" wasn't autistic at all. He had a severely atrophied corpus callosum (if I'm not mistaken). He had a much more prodigious memory than many people who are considered to have a prodigious memory.

He had autistic features. Even so, he an appreciation for socializing with people, and a bit of sense of humor, too.

Again: You guys who said that - explain that to normal people who cannot tell the difference between Autism and a hole in the ground.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 1:54 am

I'll admit, I can act pretty stupid at times. I've had of people tell me I'm smart, but I've also had a fair number of people tell me I'm an idiot. I'm really not sure what to believe. I guess that makes me dumb. :P

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....it turned out that the "real Rainman" wasn't autistic at all. He had a severely atrophied corpus callosum (if I'm not mistaken). He had a much more prodigious memory than many people who are considered to have a prodigious memory.

He had autistic features. Even so, he an appreciation for socializing with people, and a bit of sense of humor, too.

If I recall correctly, I think his corpus callosum was removed completely. Neurosurgery definitely was as sophisticated in the 50s as it is today, and that's saying quite little since it's still a highly imprecise science.

LanguageMeterScholar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2016, 2:55 am

Maybe we've created a new expression; "dump".

I am a language teacher and amateur language scientist, I want to create a theory of language that can benefit autism spectrum persons as well as those with other neurological conditions. Communication with the NT world can be difficult, and I would love to hear what problems you have had trying to deal with such problems. If you want to talk about it please contact me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 3:01 am

Every time I read the thread title, I keep thinking we are in the dump and people think we are trash.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 3:22 am

League_Girl wrote:
Every time I read the thread title, I keep thinking we are in the dump and people think we are trash.

Forest Dump. The incredible story about a forest ranger fighting environmental crimes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 3:46 am

i'm dump also Image
but in this September-of-my-years part of my life I am determined to be the best dump I can be :lmao:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 1:10 pm

We should not diagnose them, but we can suspect them. Autism has too many traits in common with other conditions. We can only go by social presentation, information aboiut what they like as children can be minimal, words often had different meanings back then, attitudes and beliefs about behaviors were often different.

But we do not need definitive diagnosis to make points. They had autistic traits and succeded, they were considered, weird, ret*d, bullied and changed history.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 1:35 pm

In some cases becuase of poor communication skills.
On the other side, people who good communication skills are often dumper than they appear.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2016, 10:14 pm

"dumb" you mean? a whopping 70% of the people on the Autism spectrum suffers from an intellectual disability (I.Q under 70). Due to the fact that Asperger's was "absorbed" into the general Autism spectrum in 2013 doesn't help either.

Aspies were generally always free of the intellectual disability and speech delay which is why lumping us in with them was so unfair.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 10:27 pm

this aspie had a speech delay until age 4 or so. I guess i'm dumper than I appear also. then again, mebbe I look dumper than I am?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 11:17 pm

i am definitely pretty dump

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 11:20 pm

well well :D from one dump to another dump, cheers!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 11:23 pm

bethannny wrote:
"dumb" you mean? a whopping 70% of the people on the Autism spectrum suffers from an intellectual disability (I.Q under 70). Due to the fact that Asperger's was "absorbed" into the general Autism spectrum in 2013 doesn't help either.

Aspies were generally always free of the intellectual disability and speech delay which is why lumping us in with them was so unfair.

I had a speech delay until I was 3, and I didn't speak much until I was 4.5. By the time I was about 6, I appeared to have "Aspergers" instead of autism, since I developed a strong vocabulary and reading comprehension equivalent to people twice my age. I think I may have been diagnosed HFA or Aspergers originally, but I was rediagnosed almost two years ago (check my sig), and having done some research I've come to the conclusion that I probably have a subtype of autism known as PDA, or Pathological Demand Avoidance.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm

PDA sounds familiar to me as well. when I was 4, my folks took me to see a kid shrink to figure out why I wouldn't talk, and after a few minutes of trying to coax words outta my mouth, he shouted at me, "TALK!" to which I defiantly responded, "NO!"