i can hear flourescent lights for first time

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 5:19 pm

Anyone who can't hear this type of fluorescent light is most likely tuning out the sound. This is what they sound like, although the volume on this one is louder than I've usually heard them:

Anyway, congratulations on gaining a whole new sense. :) What's it like? By the way, I'm blind, and I've wondered what it would be like to see for the first time.

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2016, 4:22 am

Feralucce wrote:
I am confused... Are you telling me that most people don't hear them?

I can hear fluorescent lights... I also hear CRT monitors when they are powered on (this includes old tube style TVs) and cold cathode tubes...

ask your parents or brothers and sisters can hear them to test it out

Diagnosis Asperger's Syndrome back in 2005
also have Anxiety Disorder, OCD

Severe to Profound on my left ear and have cochlear implant on Right ear i'm Deaf

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2016, 4:23 am

DataB4 wrote:
Anyone who can't hear this type of fluorescent light is most likely tuning out the sound. This is what they sound like, although the volume on this one is louder than I've usually heard them:

Anyway, congratulations on gaining a whole new sense. :) What's it like? By the way, I'm blind, and I've wondered what it would be like to see for the first time.

that light is louder its annoying

Severe to Profound on my left ear and have cochlear implant on Right ear i'm Deaf

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2016, 4:30 am

LupaLuna wrote:
All fluorescent lights have what is called a "ballast" in them to regulate the current going into the bulb. Some of these ballasts are ether "electronic" or "magnetic". The body of the magnetic ballasts will give of a noticeable 60Hz hum(50Hz, if your in Europe.) that can be easily herd by most people. The electronic ones are not suppose to make any audible noise, but can if they are wearing out or made cheaply.

Most people on the spectrum that have SPD issues, like me, can actually hear the noise in are heads from just seeing the flickering from the lights. Which is always caused by a magnetic ballast or can be caused by a faulty electronic one.

So to answer your question. It is not uncommon for any one(NT or ASD) to hear electrical noise from a fluorescent light.

i can see flicker alittle that makes my brain goes funny vibration looking at it on my light in my room and hearing it as well are you talking about normal lights or old lights i dont understand?

MurdersRow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Dec 2016, 12:02 pm

DataB4 wrote:

That is really annoying, but not the same sounds I am listening to. Office Maintenance has looked at them and stated there is nothing wrong. The other five people in my pod do not hear it.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 2:25 am

Berabara wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:
All fluorescent lights have what is called a "ballast" in them to regulate the current going into the bulb. Some of these ballasts are ether "electronic" or "magnetic". The body of the magnetic ballasts will give of a noticeable 60Hz hum(50Hz, if your in Europe.) that can be easily herd by most people. The electronic ones are not suppose to make any audible noise, but can if they are wearing out or made cheaply.

Most people on the spectrum that have SPD issues, like me, can actually hear the noise in are heads from just seeing the flickering from the lights. Which is always caused by a magnetic ballast or can be caused by a faulty electronic one.

So to answer your question. It is not uncommon for any one(NT or ASD) to hear electrical noise from a fluorescent light.

i can see flicker alittle that makes my brain goes funny vibration looking at it on my light in my room and hearing it as well are you talking about normal lights or old lights i dont understand?

The lights that have the "electronic" ballasts are the newer ones and the ones that have the "magnetic" ballasts are the old ones.

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Dec 2016, 3:06 am

MurdersRow wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

My conclusion is based on my co-workers that say they do not hear them. I agree with the Moderator and from what I have read it is not an uncommon Autistic trait to hear frequencies others can not.

If only this meant we could also hear miles and miles away of what someone is saying, but no, my hearing just happens to be normal but just so happens to pick up on that particular dumb light frequency.

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2016, 8:13 am

The_Gimp wrote:
MurdersRow wrote:
Feralucce wrote:

My conclusion is based on my co-workers that say they do not hear them. I agree with the Moderator and from what I have read it is not an uncommon Autistic trait to hear frequencies others can not.

If only this meant we could also hear miles and miles away of what someone is saying, but no, my hearing just happens to be normal but just so happens to pick up on that particular dumb light frequency.

im very good listener on cochlear implant and i notice what is coming from my brain knows sounds is out there is no silence lol at the moment i hear crickets computer fluorescent tubes LED i can sending it out little ones

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 11:18 am

Sometimes I hear fluorescent lights, but other times not. At school, the lights always bothered me, but it was so noisy in the hallways that I was often overwhelmed anyway.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII