Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 12:45 am

I get the occasional hive today but as a kid I was covered in them. My mom had to cover me with calomine lotion every night to relieve them.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 2:18 am

P-We wrote:
I have been taking an antihistamine every day for about 5 years. If I miss it for a day, i'll be itching like crazy - rashes can happen anywhere. I have gotten various tests at the doc for allergies but they all drew a blank. The AH have no side effects and it has been easier just to keep taking one every day than to spend a lot of time investigating what is a minor prob (so long as I keep taking the tablets!)

It has only been recently I have started reading some articles which suggest that some Aspies can have sensitive skin - never made a connection before. Will be watching this thread with interest. :)

I have very delicate, sensitive skin. I also take antihistamines every day and have done for years but that's for my allergic rhinitis.

gez
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2007, 3:12 am

this is really helpful as we weren't sure what the cause of the hives were....

it really seems that there is a link between aspergers and hives which no doctors have mentioned before....

....please keep posting your thoughts and if there are any doctors reading this then please let us know your thoughts....

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 4:06 am

I sometimes get them on my hands due to extreme stress and/or temperature.
Histamine is nasty stuff, you should see me after an insects had a meal or decided it doesn't like me. I think my record was a 14cm x 8cm swelling on my arm from one bug bite.

P-We
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2007, 5:40 am

I have one on my ankle that I got in Asia - not that big but won't go away. The mozzies loved me while I was there. Was standing in queue at the chemist in Thailand - started counting - 34 bites on my left leg.

I'm partial to a daily Flake - cutting that out and taking a Vitamin B suppliment seemed to put them off me a bit but was still waking every day with more munches than I went to sleep with. Little feckers. Ireland might be a sh*thole but the only things that tend to bite you there are dogs and they're usually big enough to spot in advance. :)

Celticess
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2007, 2:12 pm

I have hives in reaction to heat and cold. My hands can swell up quite bad in winter and I also can feel itchy all over. Taking an allergy pill seems to help it. In the heat it's flushing mostly, sweats, and itchy. My son is not on the spectrum and has other things but he was reciently dx with dermatographism. The condition I have with temp sensitivity is related to what he has and it's a problem with the skin cells. If you look it up online you might find some info useful. Dermatographism translates into skin writing but basically it's rashes that can show up for no real reason(no actual allergy) and it comes and goes. My son takes a liquid allergy med when he has a bunch of spells with the rash just because it might be hard on him at school(with kids wondering why he's got this rash. Though often it's down his arms, legs, and across his chest).

16 May 2007, 3:01 pm

I used to get them when I was a little girl and my mother would keep me home from school because the school thought they were chicken pox so she kept me home to avoid the hassle with the teachers and staff. But they would be gone the next day.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 3:29 pm

I only got it once from a certain medication. It was really bad. My feet swelled up and I was in severe pain.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 6:41 am

I get hives when the weather gets cold, or if I have cold water on me, which is really weird, but my doctor told me its reynod syndrom, Idk if thats the right spelling but it seems right haha.

MomofTom
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2007, 9:37 am

My son gets hives either from an allergic reaction to having direct contact with egg and peanut. He also gets hives when he is really worked-up with crying and is upset.

bizmack
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2007, 6:25 pm

im not sure if this applies but my underarms get extremely itcy and i have to scratch them......this only happens when im really nervous...