An example of poor eye to eye contact..

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 2:51 am

I realize my lack of eye contact can make others uncomfortable, even unconsciously, and I am sorry. But, I just cannot make eye contact, except for the occassional glance. I prefer to situate myself perpendicular or side by side to someone I'm trying to interact with instead of face to face. Sometimes when I am listening to another speak, I will close my eyes to concentrate on their voice and intonation. For me, looking into another's eyes feels like staring at a solar eclipse.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 9:42 am

My boyfriend told me last night when I do maintain eye contact he can tell my eyes are glazed over or something-as if I'm trying to look through him. Sad part is, I'm trying to maintain eye contact when we are talking about things, lol. He has to snap me out of it a lot even when I think I am still listening.

SarahR
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 May 2007, 1:44 pm

Miranda wrote:
I used to make eye contact with people, but I was scared away from doing it when a middle school friend told me I had a very intimidating stare. You'd think I would be able to get over that one bad experience, but as an adult, I'm still afraid of intimidating people by looking at them.

Now, I have to make a conscious effort NOT to look away when people look at me. It would be great if I could look at them normally without having to think about it first.

I have a similar problem. I made eye contact until about 4th grade when some kid told me I was staring and it wasn't normal. Of course, then in middle school I kept staring but just not at people's eyes, and kids said I always looked mad at them.

About Me: Pronoun. The objective case of I. A two letter word composed of the 13th and 5th letters of the alphabet.

Bluto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 May 2007, 3:51 pm

I hate waiting rooms