Question to those with eidetic memory

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SteveSnow
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2017, 2:29 pm

How often do you look at yourself to be remembered in those moments? On occasion I may see my hands but I generally don't spend a lot of time looking at parts of myself, I pretty well know what's there and what my parts are doing.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 9:53 pm

I wouldn't say I have a photographic memory, but I do have good recall of information that I have read and studied. I can recall all of the information gained from studying my special interests through the years.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2017, 10:14 pm

It took me a good 10 years to forget the combination to my work locker. They hired me twice and I got the same locker both times. They were pretty impressed I remembered that code 6 years later. I don't have vivid memories, but instead very good recollective skills that are unaffected by time. So I guess I have a very strong trained memory rather than a photographic memory. I'm curious as to the perceptions of someone who has more intense, detailed recollections than I.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:32 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
I don't consider myself to have an eidetic memory, but sometimes I bring up stuff I remember from a long time ago and people who were involved are astonished that I remember it and they don't.

I experience the same thing. I feel a bit of disappointment when I can't talk about memories of things that happened, because nobody else remembers those things and they give me strange looks.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 2:47 pm

For me it's like floating above a football stadium where there is a filing cabinet at each seat location. I can pull open a cabinet drawer and take out a video and play it over again. Then - I'm there again in that moment with sights, sounds, smells and emotions.

Depending on the memory it can be good or bad. There are some things I wish I could forget and can't - and this causes me stress.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 7:17 pm

Back in 2001, I was having a conversation with a girl in work, who left to go back to uni soon afterwards. A couple of years later she was back, and we were talking about general stuff, when I decided to quote her own words back to her, from a conversation a couple of years previous, verbatim. She was absolutely horrified! The colour drained from her face and she recoiled in horror!

That was the first time that I realised that it might be seen as freaky, to be able to recall things with 100% accuracy.

Incidentally, she wanted to become a psychic after she eventually graduated, even though she was studying things that had nothing to do with that. Weird that someone wanting to be a psychic, would be so freaked-out by me recalling a previous conversation.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2017, 8:17 pm

I can remember the dates every bad thing happened, such as the death of a pet or family member. I can't remember the dates that some really good things happened, however.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Feb 2017, 6:21 am

I'm so surprised! Reading your posts makes me feel we have so much in common. If that's eidetic memory, then yes, I guess I have it. I'm kind of blissed out - this isn't the first time WP clears up my life for me. I had such sadness because my because by family says, "I forget" all the time. I took it as rejection - it's not! I'd better send this quick - last time I typed this it disappeared.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 7:00 am

SteveSnow wrote:
Thank you, I hadn't had time to check the details on that one so I didn't want to assume. Could be a combination then, certainly sounds like it would fit the bill of eidetic if he was able to recreate the scene he had seen.

I definately reccommend watching any videos you can find on Steven Wiltshire as the guy is amazing.

I think his eidetic memory is the purest form you can get although it came at great cost.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 7:14 am

Claradoon wrote:
I'm so surprised! Reading your posts makes me feel we have so much in common. If that's eidetic memory, then yes, I guess I have it. I'm kind of blissed out - this isn't the first time WP clears up my life for me. I had such sadness because my because by family says, "I forget" all the time. I took it as rejection - it's not! I'd better send this quick - last time I typed this it disappeared.

It would appear that eidetic memory comes at a cost , I wonder if the better your eidetic memory is the more chance you lose something else. Or do people with eidetic memory use different cameras from cheap 1.3 megapixel cameras to state of the art digital SLR's.

I have what is considered a poor memory for some things but almost photographic for other things , which drives my girlfriend nuts. I wish I could choose what I remember :roll:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 8:13 am

I'm even more confused now. Surely I can't possibly have it.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 8:40 am

smudge wrote:

Nearly everyone has the ability to recall images from memory , I think the definition of eidetic memory is based on variables like accuracy , length of time passed etc

For me I think this joke sums up a photographic memory ( which is a bit of a risk on an Aspie forum )

Once a man was traveling through the west on vacation, when he saw a sign that said, "Meet the Indian Who Never Forgets, Next Exit". Well, being curious, the man stops at the attraction to see the Indian. He asks the man, "What did you have for breakfast on June 9, 1978?" The Indian replies "Eggs!"

Well, everyone has eggs for breakfast, this guy is a charlatan, the man thinks.

10 years later, the same man is on vacation again, and sees the sign for the Indian again. He thinks what the heck, I'll stop in and see him.

When the man approaches the Indian, he holds up his hand and says, "How!"

The Indian replies, "Scrambled."

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Feb 2017, 9:59 am

I wonder how come I seem to have eidetic memory, which happens without effort, but I cannot memorize a poem, which I would have to do with effort?

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 10:39 am

There was a case of a man know simply as S, from Russia, I believe. He literally couldn't forget anything. He was so flooded with information that he couldn't function. He had no way of editing out irrelevant information, a useful form of forgetting.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 10:39 am

^Yikes! 8O

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2017, 12:22 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
smudge wrote:

Nearly everyone has the ability to recall images from memory , I think the definition of eidetic memory is based on variables like accuracy , length of time passed etc

For me I think this joke sums up a photographic memory ( which is a bit of a risk on an Aspie forum )

Once a man was traveling through the west on vacation, when he saw a sign that said, "Meet the Indian Who Never Forgets, Next Exit". Well, being curious, the man stops at the attraction to see the Indian. He asks the man, "What did you have for breakfast on June 9, 1978?" The Indian replies "Eggs!"

Well, everyone has eggs for breakfast, this guy is a charlatan, the man thinks.

10 years later, the same man is on vacation again, and sees the sign for the Indian again. He thinks what the heck, I'll stop in and see him.

When the man approaches the Indian, he holds up his hand and says, "How!"

The Indian replies, "Scrambled."

:lol: I like that.