Has anyone been called Rain Man before like me?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

How many ASDs out there have been called Rain Man?
Yes 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
No 69%  69%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 26

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 9:45 am

True. It might not be the case with Fran.

But I've been prevented from approaching a few disabled person by parents who feel I would "exploit" them. I always like speaking with all sorts of people.

I was on a cruise ship once, though. There was a young lady in a wheelchair who couldn't speak. I felt compelled to smile at her as a sort of way to acknowledge her. The mother noticed this, and smiled at me. So did the young lady.

I was too shy to go further, though.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:25 am

No. For starters, I'm not a man. Second, I can't even remember my times tables from 2 to 9 anymore, and they were DRILLED into my brain by my teachers and parents in grade 3.

Multiplication. Long division. Fractions. The math in grade 3 was a nightmare, and I cried almost every day at school when I had to do them.

Because of this I hate Rain Man and I've never even seen the movie. I don't plan to see it, either. I have heard it mentioned a number of times in the earlier "information" I read about Asperger's after my diagnosis.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:28 am

I'm not good at mathematics and arithmetics either, and I'm nothing like Rain Man, but I don't hate Rain Man -- it's actually a really good movie.

It would be a shame to miss out on seeing an actually very good movie just because of a connection to Asperger's that you don't like.

I would recommend anyone who likes film to see Rain Man, not even because it's about a man on the spectrum, but just because it's an amazing performance, a great story and a good movie.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:52 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I'm not good at mathematics and arithmetics either, and I'm nothing like Rain Man, but I don't hate Rain Man -- it's actually a really good movie.

It would be a shame to miss out on seeing an actually very good movie just because of a connection to Asperger's that you don't like.

I would recommend anyone who likes film to see Rain Man, not even because it's about a man on the spectrum, but just because it's an amazing performance, a great story and a good movie.

It really is a great movie to watch and it's actually functionally accurate of those ASD people who are on the Savant level of the spectrum. I got to hand it to Hollywood this one time only because it was more of a documentary than a movie because of its attention to detail about ASD and Savant-ism. Considering that Asperger's Syndrome is considered mild Autism, Dustin Hoffman's character had the extreme problem of Savant-ism. So it does make me feel thankful that I'm not functioning on that extreme level.

But at the end of the day, it's only a small comfort for what I've been through in life because I'm an Aspie.

Despite the many times I've been called Rain Man I still think it's a great movie and worth the watch because of the insight alone into another type of Autism. To those of us affected by ASD, the movie will be an eye-opener.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 11:09 am

Rain Man, no. as*hole, yes.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 4:36 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Worse. Rain-boy.

Wow. Who called you that?

Some older neighborhood kids referred to me as such. I actually thought is was kinda funny.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
True. It might not be the case with Fran.

But I've been prevented from approaching a few disabled person by parents who feel I would "exploit" them. I always like speaking with all sorts of people.

I was on a cruise ship once, though. There was a young lady in a wheelchair who couldn't speak. I felt compelled to smile at her as a sort of way to acknowledge her. The mother noticed this, and smiled at me. So did the young lady.

I was too shy to go further, though.

People have approached before. I think most of them have had good intentions and my parents are polite to them.

Hutchie0109
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2017, 5:53 pm

Also been called Forrest, I need to watch rain man, see what the big deal is.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 10:47 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
I’ve been called Rain Man and I’m not even a guy. Certain parts of that movie I relate to though.

Oh dear. I have felt the pain of this insulting nickname as you have. So they didn't even give you a gender-specific insult? That might be a worse fate to endure and I'm sorry this happened to you. :cry:

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 11:13 pm

No, I'm female and was already 30+ when that film came out.

"Walking encyclopedia", yes.

Also had a boss,oh joy, who threatened to fire me because of the AS (sure, that's illegal. Try making it stick), and another boss, same outfit diff't department, who would taunt me with "Someone's got to be unafraid to lead the freak parade!" He didn't like it at all when I turned that back on him, smiling, anytime he picked at my work, forever after.

I was dam' good at all my jobs; bullies HATE competence and attack difference. And crave power.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2017, 12:09 am

No, but it's one of my favourite films.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 2:03 am

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
No, I'm female and was already 30+ when that film came out.

"Walking encyclopedia", yes.

Also had a boss,oh joy, who threatened to fire me because of the AS (sure, that's illegal. Try making it stick), and another boss, same outfit diff't department, who would taunt me with "Someone's got to be unafraid to lead the freak parade!" He didn't like it at all when I turned that back on him, smiling, anytime he picked at my work, forever after.

I was dam' good at all my jobs; bullies HATE competence and attack difference. And crave power.

You're right about the bullies for sure. They appear to be easily intimidated though don't they? Competence is something they REALLY lack! LOLOL.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:35 am

I don't think many people even know about the movie in my area so no. And also I'm nothing like him so again no.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 8:56 am

You don't have to be a guy for someone to bring up "Rain Man" -- you only have to mention autism. It's the attributes of autism people refer to when thinking of that film, not even necessarily the gender.

I'm a woman but my friend who made the remark to me was thinking of it as his only point of reference for autism.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 10:44 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
You don't have to be a guy for someone to bring up "Rain Man" -- you only have to mention autism. It's the attributes of autism people refer to when thinking of that film, not even necessarily the gender.

I'm a woman but my friend who made the remark to me was thinking of it as his only point of reference for autism.

I see what you mean. Yes, the stereotyping isn't any help at all.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 10:48 am

xatrix26 wrote:
You're right about the bullies for sure. They appear to be easily intimidated though don't they? Competence is something they REALLY lack! LOLOL.

:) Except at bullying, and recruiting flying monkeys of course. At these things, they tend to be very competent, sadly.
(Hope you are doing well today.)