Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:44 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
It seems like the world chaos is increasing exponentially rather than the linear way we have been brought to believe.

Wow! I never encountered any teaching on modern chaos bold enough to suggest a rate. I've always tried to put a damper on it, partly because of how any positive feedback loop goes. I think the classic illustration of carrying capacity is the petri dish story. You start off with a dish of growth medium, and put a few microbes in one spot. Each day, the spot gets twice as big. When it gets to half the area of the dish, any microbe might be quite likely to feel like a stockbroker in early '29 - things are going great! The next day at that time, they all die.
I definitely recommend learning to live simply and independently as much as possible as a preparation for the future.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 12:15 am

Dear_one wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
It seems like the world chaos is increasing exponentially rather than the linear way we have been brought to believe.

Wow! I never encountered any teaching on modern chaos bold enough to suggest a rate. I've always tried to put a damper on it, partly because of how any positive feedback loop goes. I think the classic illustration of carrying capacity is the petri dish story. You start off with a dish of growth medium, and put a few microbes in one spot. Each day, the spot gets twice as big. When it gets to half the area of the dish, any microbe might be quite likely to feel like a stockbroker in early '29 - things are going great! The next day at that time, they all die.
I definitely recommend learning to live simply and independently as much as possible as a preparation for the future.

I wouldn't call it a teaching.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 5:29 am

livingwithautism wrote:
Today I toured a day program for adults with autism. It was great except two things. If I go to the program, life as I know it will completely change. I won’t be going to some of my special recreation programs. My music therapy, special needs swimming lessons and piano lessons will all have to change times.

The other problem is the saff:participant ratio is 1:5 and I barely function at 1:2.

The program is from 9:00am-3:00pm, like school, but way more fun.

Should I go for a trial day to see what it’s like?

I guess you'll have to way the pros and cons of making so many adjustments to your daily routine. Such alterations to your current schedule may not be worth it and might cause unnecessary anxieties and over-stimualtion. I know it would for me.

If this new program is just so awesome that you feel its worth it then by all means go but prepare yourself for a routine change. Stim away!

Do you think this big change may cause a meltdown?

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:02 pm

xatrix26 wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:
Today I toured a day program for adults with autism. It was great except two things. If I go to the program, life as I know it will completely change. I won’t be going to some of my special recreation programs. My music therapy, special needs swimming lessons and piano lessons will all have to change times.

The other problem is the saff:participant ratio is 1:5 and I barely function at 1:2.

The program is from 9:00am-3:00pm, like school, but way more fun.

Should I go for a trial day to see what it’s like?

I guess you'll have to way the pros and cons of making so many adjustments to your daily routine. Such alterations to your current schedule may not be worth it and might cause unnecessary anxieties and over-stimualtion. I know it would for me.

If this new program is just so awesome that you feel its worth it then by all means go but prepare yourself for a routine change. Stim away!

Do you think this big change may cause a meltdown?

I’ll have to go for a trial day before making the decision.

It may cause a meltdown, but anything may.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:45 pm

This isn't original with me - I think it may be Sturgeon but I can't find an attribution: some things are definitely worth trying once, even twice if they might be an acquired taste.

This looks to me like it might be one of them.

Best of luck to you, with this :-) and truth to tell, I'm just a teensy bit envious :-) not of you, but of the fact that this opportunity exists where you are.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!